Poppy & Frenchie

Today’s post is about the dogs.

We have been dog owners of TWO dogs now for four months, so I thought it was time that these two girls got a post all of their own 🙂 .

Poppy Popsicle and Frenchie Macaroon

So, we have had Poppy for almost six years now and just love her to pieces.

When Andrew and I were first married, we had a teacup Yorkie for many years and unfortunately, that relationship was strained at best.  Our sweet Tulip now lives with friends of ours who do not have children because…once we had kids, Tulip developed epilepsy.  Spicy Tulip absolutely hated living with children and for her sanity and medical reasons, she had to live in a kid-free house.  At the sight of my kids, she would have a seizure.  It was the weirdest/saddest thing.  We tried everything, but bless her heart, we had to make those seizures stop. (This still goes down as the hardest decision to date Andrew and I have ever had to make.)  Tulip celebrates her 13th birthday on February 13, and according to our friends, she’s just as spunky/feisty/energetic as always.

So, after Tulip we were nervous about getting a new dog, but after much consideration and a few conversations with “dog people” we got our Poppy who is a Coton de Tulear.  When we looked this breed up in a big dog book one night at Barnes and Noble, it said these dogs were people pleasers, could jump high, very friendly and like to lay around a lot.

SIGN. ME. UP.

We brought sweet Poppy home in June 2012.

Gosh, I could look at puppy pictures all day long.

Here we are with new puppy Poppy 🙂 .

This is one of my favorite pics of Poppy 🙂 .  She is just sweet and happy all the time.

Poppy likes to go to work with Andrew, so on many days, that’s what she does.  She hops in the car and then spends her day asleep under his desk.  If Poppy stays home, you will find her doing this ALL DAY LONG…

…chasing sunny spots on the ground for a nap.  Right this minute, she’s asleep in the sunny spot in my dining room.  Trust me, in a little bit, that sun spot will fade and she’ll wake up and move to the next room to find it.  Poppy is a big napper.  And yes, she can jump really high too.  Isn’t that a funny Coton fact?!  Like…freakishly high.  Poppy is fully grown and weighs 12 pounds.   She’s just easy this one.

So, after years of begging, we agreed to let Kensington have a dog of her very own.  That’s all she’s ever wanted, so on her ninth birthday back in September, we surprised her with a puppy that we were able to bring home a month later…

…little Frenchie Macaroon.  Kensington picked her name and I think it’s just perfect for this little pup.  The kids fell in love with our newest addition…

…and you know what?  Poppy did too!  We’ve decided that we’ll never be a “one dog” family again.  Two dogs are just more fun!  Poppy loves having someone to play with in the yard and to run around the house with.  Poppy is sleeping less in the sun these days and playing more 😉 .

Frenchie as a baby puppy 🙂 .  She’s six months old right now.

Poppy isn’t one for cuddling.  She likes to lay by you but not on you.  Frenchie, on the other hand, would like to lay on you all the time.  She would probably like it if I carried her in a baby pouch around the house.  Right now, Frenchie weighs in at 4 pounds but the extra hair makes her look the same size as Poppy.

Two happy dogs make our family happy too 🙂 .

I had a lot of questions about the transition with Poppy when we got a new dog.  Poppy is definitely the alpha dog in the relationship.  When they go in and out together, Frenchie always stands back and let’s Poppy cross the threshold first.  Frenchie has accepted her role as “little sister” well 🙂 .  In general, I would say that Poppy is more nosy and curious.  If the doorbell rings, Poppy wants to see who it is while Frenchie doesn’t even lift her head.  Poppy is on high alert when Andrew isn’t home while Frenchie (again) just lays there without a care in the world.  I don’t know if it’s their breed, their nature, their ages or luck of the draw, but they’ve been excellent companions together.

So, that’s a little bit about the dogs for your Thursday 🙂 .  Right now, Frenchie went to work with Andrew and Poppy stayed home with me.  She’s asleep on the couch…in the sun. xo

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog February 8, 2018 at 4:44 am

Frenchie is adorable and I love the bond she has with your family. And Poppy too! The kids deserve the pets so much! 🙂

• Reply Erika Slaughter February 8, 2018 at 4:45 am

Why do I always call Poppy a “he”??? For the life of me I cannot remember Poppy is a girl. Ashby and I just had this conversation in my car earlier this week because I said something about HIM. 🙈🙈🙈

• Reply Susan Jeffries February 8, 2018 at 4:48 am

Sweet post. We also have two dogs – labs- and wouldn’t have it any other way. They would be lost without each other.

• Reply Elspeth Mizner February 8, 2018 at 5:29 am

So sweet! I have three dogs and they are all buddies. Our oldest, first dog is most definitely the alpha and makes it known. I think it’s eaier having more than one since they have a buddy. Great post!

• Reply Kelly February 8, 2018 at 5:33 am

This was actually such a cute post! Love you and your brood including the dogs!!

• Reply Meg February 8, 2018 at 5:35 am

Naw they are the cutest pair! I’m glad little Tulip is living her best life that’s all we want for our pets. I had no idea dogs could develop epilepsy in relation to children like that, the poor thing. That must have been so hard to deal with. I used to love reading about how much you loved on her so it’s nice to hear she’s doing well, and now you have the two cutest dogs that seem to fit in really well! They need their own Instagram 😉

• Reply Narci Dreffs February 8, 2018 at 6:04 am

Poppy and Frenchie are just so cute, and I could look at their puppy pictures all day long! So Sweet!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams February 8, 2018 at 6:14 am

Liked hearing more of their stories today! They look like the sweetest dogs. If I ever get a dog, their breeds are the kind I would like to get!

• Reply Amy February 8, 2018 at 6:14 am

Do you have to board both of them since your family travels so often?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 6:52 am

They stay at someone’s house! This way, they’re together and we get lots of pics of them while we’re away 🙂 .

• Reply Anna February 9, 2018 at 9:39 am

We would love another dog two but feel it is hard to find someone to watch two vs one dog! Do you mind sharing if you use a certain company for dog sitters or just someone you knew? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 9, 2018 at 12:50 pm

A mixture! We have a friend who watches and then we’ve also used the app Rover before too!!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims February 8, 2018 at 6:34 am

Us too! We will now always be a two dog family. Your pups are precious, and I love how much the kids love them.

• Reply Katherine Darlington February 8, 2018 at 6:40 am

Cute post, thanks for sharing. I have a teddy bear puppy, Kippy. Any tips on housetraining?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 6:49 am

We swear by crate training! I would say that Frenchie already has it down!!

• Reply Kaci February 8, 2018 at 7:50 am

I agree with crate training! I have a boxer and it taught him in no time. Great tip!

• Reply Tammy Carlisle February 8, 2018 at 10:45 am

We are trying to crate train our 6 month old maltipoo. Evidently we are doing something horribly wrong! She goes outside and will potty on command, but will just as easily potty inside too! We can’t seem to find a balance between the crate and playtime outside the crate. Any advice??

• Reply Caroline February 8, 2018 at 6:40 am

We also have a Coton and I’m convinced they are the sweetest dogs in the entire world. I love seeing pictures of your adorable Coton faces! So distinct and so precious.

• Reply Amanda February 8, 2018 at 6:45 am

You’ve got me intrigued with what you’ve shared about cotons. We’ve always had big dogs- and loved them- but with three kids now, the mess is just too much! We’ve had a nice three year gap with no dogs, but are starting to feel the itch… Cotons seem to have a lot of the big dog qualities that I like, but with less bulk and mess. Question for you- do yours get goopy eyes? Weird question, I know, but that just grosses me out! And how often do you have to get them groomed, and how pricey is that? I’ve never had a dog that needed haircuts! In general, are they a lot of maintenance? Thanks Shay!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 6:48 am

I think some people spend a lot of money perfecting the Coton “hair”…we are not such people. We like it best when it’s long and fluffy, but if it’s hot out or the hair is just too long, we get a simple “puppy cut” . I’m sure purest of the Coton breed would cringe, but it’s simple and inexpensive. Then, the hair grows right back out easily and pretty quickly. And no, ours do not get the goopy eye. I’m not sure if that is just luck or if it’s a breed quality.

• Reply Alexis deZayas February 8, 2018 at 6:47 am

Loved reading about your pups!! They are too cute!

• Reply Mother Henn February 8, 2018 at 7:38 am

We have a 14 year-old LhasaPoo. The kids begged to adopt a stray cat a neighbor found and cared for temporarily, and we reluctantly agreed. Best decision we ever made! Our 14 year old dog has found some youth again and they play and seem to be best buddies. I didn’t think I was a cat person, but have fallen in love with this sweet cat. It’s so fun to watch the interactions between our pets and our kids….. a lot of extra work, but very much worth it.

• Reply Karla February 8, 2018 at 7:38 am

Love this post! So adorable!! Can you share the breeder you used?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 8:21 am

Yes! There are not very many. We used Snowy River Cotons in California this last time. Our first breeder (for Poppy) isn’t doing it now.

• Reply Laura @ Fantastically Four February 8, 2018 at 7:42 am

I love reading about your sweet dogs! We also had trouble with our dog when our son was born and we had to rehome her. It is so hard! So glad that you have your Poppy and Frenchie now. 😊 Now my husband and I want two Cotons!

• Reply Kayla Bruce February 8, 2018 at 7:57 am

So sweet!! We’re dog people, and our lives have never felt fuller than having our second pup come home. Love this!

• Reply Tracy February 8, 2018 at 8:01 am

Cute pups!

• Reply Ariadna February 8, 2018 at 8:04 am

Aww, having two pups is the best, we had a lab mix and a boxer-lab mix for about 10 years until last November when we had to put down our sweet lab mix, Rocky because of a tumor on his spleen. He had the sweetest disposition and was my husband’s and daughter’s best friend. Our other dog is taking it ok, I think, but he definitely needs a little more attention from us now. I think we’ll eventually get another dog but it might be awhile. Question, how do you guys decide who gets to go with Andrew? Do they take turns? They sound so cute together! I imagine them hanging out around Andrew and him having to tell one of them, no it’s not your turn today, maybe tomorrow. Sorry if that sounds weird, but your dogs are too cute! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 8:19 am

They kind of take turns (sometimes, they both go or they both stay). Poppy kind of decides. She’s either asleep or standing by the door :).

• Reply Julie February 8, 2018 at 8:05 am

Awww, this is such a cute post, thanks for sharing! Dogs are the absolute best. I am forever considering a possible second dog. (We have one ginormous white golden retriever now, and he’s the BEST). So I was glad to hear about how it’s going for you all! Like another reader mentioned, I’ve always been a “big dog person” but you have me so curious about Cotons. They don’t seem that available in our area of the country (Boston) but I’m going to research.

• Reply Laurie S February 8, 2018 at 8:11 am

I love reading about the other 2 members of the Shull Family – the fur babies. So cute! Thank you for sharing about them. Wanted to ask if the dogs are microchipped, in case they get separated from your home. For their sakes and the Shulls…

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 8:19 am

YES! That is my biggest fear!!

• Reply Nicole February 8, 2018 at 8:13 am

We had a Coton growing up and she was awesome! I had no idea the breed could jump freakishly high but it makes sense… we would often come home and she would be stuck on our dining room table unable to get down!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 8:19 am

Yes! They apparently are used in circuses a lot.

• Reply Kathy February 8, 2018 at 8:35 am

So they don’t shed at all?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Not at all! Even with all of that long hair!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick February 8, 2018 at 8:47 am

Ooooohhhh those pups are so cute!! You’ve heard me talk about mine before. If I’m ever convinced to get a dog again, we may have to go this route. 😉 Craig said he wants a rottweiler and I laughed until I cried. He must be out of his mind. Our next dog will be small, quiet, cuddly and won’t shed! (Or pee on my rugs.) Do yours shed? That Inspired Chick

• Reply Laci February 8, 2018 at 8:50 am

I have a yorkie/maltese mix and she is so possessive it scares me to think of bringing another puppy in the home but man yours are so cute together!! I would feel better knowing Molly has a friend but…she bit my brother’s dog so I am just so nervous about it! More puppy post for sure!

• Reply Amanda Wilson February 8, 2018 at 8:53 am

Your blog game is STRONG this with Mrs. Shay!!! Loving every single post!!

• Reply Amanda Wilson February 8, 2018 at 8:55 am

This week….not this with….

• Reply cassie {hi sugarplum} February 8, 2018 at 9:07 am

so sweet!!! Let’s just hope each of the other 3 kids don’t decide they want a dog of their very own, too! That makes me nervous for you…4 kids and 5 dogs?!?! 😉 Also, we’ll never be a one-dog family again, ether!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 12:41 pm

Right?!?! Hahaha!

• Reply Katie Maclan February 8, 2018 at 9:10 am

Such a cute post! I myself am a dog lover so reading about other people’s dogs makes my heart happy! Question for you – is there a reason you decided to get your sweet pups from a breeder instead of adopting from a shelter? Just curious as I’ve had both breeder dogs and now a rescue and I will never go back to getting dogs from a breeder again. Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 12:40 pm

We were scared of getting another dog that wasn’t compatible with our family again. Giving up Tulip was so hard on us, that we just couldn’t do it again. The vet, our dog walker (we had to get a dog walker at one point to try and help Tulip with her seizures) and a friend of ours all said our family was well-suited for a Coton (a breed we had never heard of). So, after some research, we decided to give it a try (Poppy!). She has been such a good companion, that we wanted another one. We feel like dogs are for life, so we really tried to make the best decision possible for us.

• Reply Brandy S. February 8, 2018 at 9:19 am

This was a cute post! I loved reading about their differences and why you and your family love them so much. So sweet! Once my youngest gets a little older we are going to get a puppy and can’t wait!

• Reply Kathi Mackintosh February 8, 2018 at 9:42 am

Shay–Love the puppy post! Our lab has been gone almost 2 years and my daughter just Snapchatted me last night from college with a tear on her face because she was randomly missing our pup. They are definitely family! Random side note–did you post a Bible verse to memorize this week? I’ve been trying to memorize along with you and I couldn’t seem to find one.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Yes!! I did on Facebook! It’s Proverbs 19:21!

• Reply Kathi Mackintosh February 8, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Thanks! I’ve been making note cards. It helps to be working with a friend. (even one I’ve never met ;-))

• Reply MelanieL February 8, 2018 at 9:54 am

They are adorable! Thanks for sharing about them.

• Reply Darcy February 8, 2018 at 10:01 am

What a fun post to read! We have border collies (two as well) so it’s always interesting to read about other people’s dogs and how they act. 🙂 Happy Thursday!

• Reply Callie February 8, 2018 at 10:37 am

We have a Coton and he is the sweetest little thing! 4 years old, is great with kids and adults alike, and LOVES to be held. Little Bandit has a lot more black coloring to him, so I had no idea both of your pups were Cotons as well. Enjoy them!

• Reply Claire February 8, 2018 at 11:33 am

I love that you have Cotons. I have a 6 month old Coton (she’s got black fur with a white belly) and am obsessed with her – she’s my first pup! Question – is Frenchie jumping much yet? My Winnie seems to be getting close but can’t quite jump up to land on anything yet. Also will Frenchie go up and down steps? Winnie is starting to a little more, but still gets very very nervous, which I think is just too sweet. 🙂 Thanks for any input!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 8, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Yes! Frenchie can go up and down the steps and she can already jump pretty high. She is not able to jump up on furniture though (or at least she’s not attempting it).

• Reply carolyn February 8, 2018 at 11:42 am

I love your post, and your pups are precious. I have to say, though, that I am a ‘Rescue Mom’! We have four, all rescues. Our first dog when we got married was a rescue, too, and was one of the best dogs ever. He would just naturally place himself between our new baby and any visitors, until my husband or I said “it’s o k “. Then he would relax and lay down beside the baby. Different routes work for different families, but if you can, please consider adoption. There are so many of God’s precious doggies that need loving homes. Thanks for letting me say my piece!!

• Reply Mackenzie February 8, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Do you have an invisible fence or they don’t run away? Just saw them on Instagram and was thinking how my terrier would be zooming off after a squirrel

• Reply Jennifer February 8, 2018 at 1:21 pm

So funny that you posted about your pups today! I was wondering just yesterday if you had ever posted about them and was going to see if you had. I was wondering if you crate trained Frenchie and saw in ge comments that you had. We just got a Vizsla pup after Thanksgiving and crate training is working well for us too. After getting her I’ve thought it would be nice to have another so they can entertain each other but I can’t deal with another puppy at this point. 😆 Our little girl cant wait for her to be old enough to sleep in her room. Thanks for sharing. They’re adorable!

• Reply Angela Ellingson February 8, 2018 at 1:40 pm

They are both so cute!! I love golden doodles, but just do not have the “band width” at this time in our life. 😉

• Reply Jennifer February 8, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Hi! So my kids have been begging for a dog and we are actually considering it, primarily because a) we are dying for a pet and b) I thought it might help my daughter who has anxiety. I’ve never had a dog. We’ve always had cats. I have two kids who are slightly allergic to dogs but am told we can find dogs that don’t shed and should be ok. After reading your post, I’m thinking I should look into Cotons because you mentioned they don’t shed and lay around (so maybe more like a cat for my liking?) Anyway, anyone know if they’d be a good option for kids with allergies?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 9, 2018 at 5:45 am

• Reply Christine February 8, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Hi! Your dogs are so cute! We’ve been talking about buying a small dog. We’ve always been Labrador dog people. I want your opinion on potty training. Was it hard? Do they have accidents often?
    Thank you so much!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 9, 2018 at 5:45 am

We crate trained them both, and in our opinion, that’s the easiest way to do it!

• Reply kellie carrara February 8, 2018 at 3:40 pm

ohmygoodness! I love this post. I mean, I’m having my hormone levels checked after yesterday’s crazy-informative post, but this one, as you say, makes my dog-mama heart happy!
    We had a teacup maltese for six years, pre-baby, and once the baby came home, Miss Magnolia wanted NONE of it. She threw up EVERY time the baby cried, she had UTIs, and honestly NEVER. WARMED.UP. But I was devoted to that dog, and the baby, and I forced a co-existence, which really, was all it was. The dog NEVER bit anyone, but then the baby started to talk and said: Maggie Bite! I didn’t believe it until I saw it with my own eyes! That little thing was biting my baby! Ugh. Maggie lived a long life (almost to 17!) but only really enjoyed life when the baby-turned-kid went on playdates. It’s like she was telling us: I like it better, just the 3 of us, like it used to be.
    After Maggie died, we took a break (the last 6 months we were basically running a 24-hour nursing home for her), then adopted the sweetest little Bishu (bichon/shi tzu) from a traveling petting zoo. Her name is Daisy-Belle and I could carry her around in a mama-roo all day. She is a BABY! She has curly lamb-fur and LOVES everyone. But she got lonely…so a year later, we reached out to a shi tzu rescue group and found a 1.5 year old boy who was in need of a home. We adopted Bentley Beau in October and the two get along WONDERFULLY. They’re not jealous. They play. Snuggle. And make our house a happy home. We will never be a one-dog house again either. Sure it’s more work, more food, more poop and more expensive, but it’s SO MUCH MORE LOVE! Oh, and these two LOVE their kid sister! (phew!)
    Thank you for posting about your fur babies!

• Reply Stephanie February 8, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Such a sweet post. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Detroit Duchess February 10, 2018 at 8:12 pm

This might be my favorite post! I can’t imagine how heart-breaking it was to give up Tulip. My cocker spaniel, Sport, is my baby. That must have been so hard. I love your pup pics and their cute names! I didn’t know that breed didn’t shed, ours doesn’t either and that is a definite requirement for me. I don’t know if I’m ready for a second one yet, but your post is making me think it might be a good idea.

• Reply Jeanie February 14, 2018 at 5:51 pm

I’m a huuuuuge dog lover so I really enjoyed this post and pictures. The dogs are both adorable! I don’t know how I missed reading this the first time around since I read you every day. Thank you for telling us about the rest of your family. ♥