Tomato Basil Soup

Tomato Basil Soup

Okay…I don’t throw down the gauntlet very often, but it’s happening today.

I make a realllllllllly good Tomato Basil Soup.  Like, it’s really good.

We don’t freeze a lot of food in our family, but this soup freezes beautifully in those gallon-sized baggies, so I often make a double batch.  For me, the key is roasting your cherry tomatoes for this recipe.  It creates a great depth of flavor plus, when you roast a cherry tomato, it doesn’t matter if they’re in season or not, they’ll be super flavorful.

Whip this baby up!  You’ll love it!

This recipe serves four for a main entree, more if you’re using smaller portions alongside a grilled cheese perhaps?!

Shopping List
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 (28 oz) cans San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
1 cup of torn basil leaves
1/4 cup half & half
grated Parmesan to garnish
snipped chives to garnish

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Line a baking sheet with foil (for easy clean up) and pour your cherry tomatoes down.  Drizzle a liberal amount of EVOO on top along with a big pinch of both salt and pepper.  Pop this in the oven and roast about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium-high heat, add in a few drizzles of EVOO along with your chopped onion.  Saute about five minutes or so until tender.  Next, add in your chopped garlic cloves and saute a minute more.  After that, add in both cans of San Marzano tomatoes along with your basil and stir everything together.  Remove your cherry tomatoes from the oven and add them to your big pot.  Stir in a bit more salt and pepper.  Next, carefully take this mixture and add it to your blender (or use an immersion blender if you have one) and blend up everything in your pot until smooth (it just takes a minute).  Pour this creamy and blended mixture back into your pot on the stove and heat another couple of minutes.  Right before you’re ready to serve, stir in your half and half and heat through a minute.  Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a bit of Parm and snipped chives.

I’m telling you, this one is a winner.  Enjoy!

Tomato Basil Soup

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog February 13, 2018 at 4:39 am

I don’t doubt the soup is good, Shay! Tomato-based soups (and sauces!) are my favourite. 🙂

• Erika Slaughter February 13, 2018 at 4:58 am

This is one of Ebby Lee’s favorite foods!! Adding this to my list!

• Alexis deZayas February 13, 2018 at 5:21 am

Yes yes yes! One of my favorite soups!

• Narci Dreffs February 13, 2018 at 6:53 am

Oh, this looks amazing! Trying this very soon!

• Nikki February 13, 2018 at 7:04 am

This looks amazing!

• MinShien @ Joyous Apron February 13, 2018 at 7:54 am

YES! One of my all time favorite! Great idea using cherry tomatoes ! Will need to try this!! 🙂

• Beth B February 13, 2018 at 7:54 am

Immersion blenders are one of the handiest kitchen gadgets that I have. You can blend right in the pot and it does an awesome job. They’re not expensive either. So much easier than pouring hot liquid into a blender and then back into the pot. Between my immersion blender, my instant pot, and my spiralizer, I’m a happy cook!
    This recipe is going into my “to make soon” file. Thank you!

• Ramona Greenspan February 13, 2018 at 11:38 am

This is my favorite kind of soup. Your recipe sounds delish. I am going to pick up the ingredients after school today.

• Laurie February 13, 2018 at 11:52 am

I’m curious why there are canned tomatoes along with the roasted cherry tomatoes? How would it turn out if you just used the fresh (roasted) tomatoes?

• Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2018 at 11:53 am

I love the San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes. I’m sure you could use only fresh ones, but I think the combination is really good and makes the soup nice and creamy.

• Angela Ellingson February 13, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Oh my! Sounds so delicious. Have you ever tried just leaving the soup in your Vitamix on the soup setting and adding the half and half to that? I think that would work? Need to start using my Vitamix to it’s fullest potential. 🙂

• Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2018 at 12:42 pm

I haven’t, but you could!

• Emily February 13, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Do you have an instant pot? I just received one as a bday gift and need to find recipes. I didn’t really want it as I don’t see the advantage of it over the crockpot I already have but oh well. Don’t feel like paying to ship it back for a return.

• Mix and Match Mama February 14, 2018 at 4:54 am

I don’t have one…after reading everyone’s comments, I think I’m more of a slow cooker girl.

• Emily February 13, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Wow, you are making my mouth water! My hubby loves tomato soup, and this looks SOOO good. I am going to have to try this! (We’re vegan, but I’m thinking that there are some good alternatives out there for the half and half? Not sure, but I love your fresh take on tomato soup.)

• Ramona Greenspan February 13, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Ok. It’s a go. Can’t wait for everyone to get home so we can eat! Thank you!!

• Ramona Greenspan February 14, 2018 at 5:27 am

Coming on this morning to tell you and anyone else reading that this soup was out of this world amazing. Go make it!

• Tatiana February 15, 2018 at 9:50 am

Sounds amazing and super easy! Grilled cheese and tomato soup are huge requests in our house from our bigs and littles alike :). Wondering if you do make a double batch and then freeze….do u just freeze the tomato base and then defrost add the half&half before serving? Or do you mix the half & half in and then freeze everything all together?

• Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2018 at 11:00 am

I will pour half from the blender into a baggie before adding back to the stove and finishing off with half and half. Great question!

• Carly | Fearless Female Travels February 16, 2018 at 3:14 pm

It’s perfect tomato soup weather here in Canada! Brrrr!

• June February 17, 2018 at 10:06 am

Made this last night. It was really good!