Scotland & Ireland PART FOUR: Dublin

Guys, it’s another vacation recap!  Oh my word.  Why are there so many????  Hahahaha!  I am not even going to lie and say we’re done after today…because we’re not.  Some of our BEST stuff is still ahead!  I mean, we’ve covered Scotland, but now, it’s time to dive into Ireland!

Okay, if you missed the other posts, you better catch them here…

Part One: Edinburgh
Part Two: St. Andrews
Part Three: Edinburgh and our flight to Dublin

I was going to put everything we did in Dublin in today’s post, but I couldn’t.  It would have taken you three hours to read, and no one has time for that.  So, today is PART ONE of Dublin.

Before we get to that…did you check out Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale?  This morning, I got online super early and ordered my goodies!  Here are a few things I already own that are in the sale this year…

My cozy sweater (we affectionately call the “blardigan” because it’s part cardigan and part blanket).  It comes in so many colors and is on sale right now!  Now, I love this version, but the hooded blardigan

…is my absolute fave!  These make great gifts, friends!

When my stuff arrives, I’ll make sure and share them with you!  The sale is for Nordstrom card holders this week and then opens to everyone else on Friday.  I say this every year…but this sale is so genius because they’re discounting NEW FALL MERCHANDISE.  I always buy stuff during the sale that I wear all fall and winter long (that will be full price at the time), so it’s so nice to know I’m buying it for a discount now. Plus, I buy  A TON of Christmas gifts during this sale.  Come December, I’m one happy girl 🙂 .

Alrighty…on to Dublin!

After a long day the day before (read about that HERE), we were so happy to wake up in Dublin and ready to explore.

I must have said “top of the mornin’ to ya” at least 10,000 times. Just an FYI 😉 .

Six Shulls ready to tackle the day!

First stop, breakfast.  We read that Balfes had an amazing breakfast…and it was!!  Everything everyone had was delicious!  I had eggs with toast and bacon, but the kids had pancakes, some had the yogurt parfait…everything was so good!  Plus, they really catered to the kids (each one got a coloring book and box of colored pencils).  It was the perfect stop for fueling that day.

Yes, yes, YES!

And because it was vacation…right after breakfast, we walked past this heavenly looking donut shop…

…and we split three.  I mean…it’s vacation, right?  You can eat breakfast and then half a donut.  My favorite was this double chocolate one.  Amazing!

After all the carb loading, the kids wanted to check out the park.  The weather was beautiful and sunny, so it was the perfect morning for a stroll.

Gosh, I love these guys!

Ashby blew a million bubbles…

…and Smith played a little baseball.  Because apparently, we now travel with sports equipment 😉 .  No worries, he wasn’t hitting real balls.  He was hitting these little ones that don’t go anywhere (as to not hit some poor stranger walking by).

After the park, we headed off to Trinity College.  This is a gorgeous university right in the heart of Dublin.  It was packed full of people, students and tourists checking it out.

My peeps at the library.  This was a great stop!  Dublin is another very walkable city.  Even though we had that rental van, we walked almost everywhere!

Later, it was time for lunch…and cards.  Then…

…we continued the carb loading with some macarons.  After that…

…we went to the Jameson Distillery.  We had pre-purchased tickets to this, so we were extra excited.  A few days before, we saw how Scotch Whisky was made and now…it was time to see how Irish Whiskey was made!

Again, one of the best things we did!  These tours are so fascinating!  You learn much more than about whiskey.  You learn about the culture, the economy, the agriculture, how things like the American prohibition affected their industry…it was so interesting!  The tour had about 20 people in it and lasted a little over an hour.

If you would like to know the difference between Scotch, American bourbon and Irish whiskey, just ask Madeley.  She paid attention 🙂 .

This tour was very hands on.  We touched and felt every ingredient that goes into the whiskey making process.  My kids loved that!  They felt, they smelled, they really got to participate in this tour.

When it was over, you could purchase Jameson to take home and even get a bottle straight from the barrel.  Andrew got him some!

This was the area you visited at the end to enjoy either a whiskey or a soft drink.  The kids were loving it!

For dinner, we were told to eat here: The Bull & Castle.  Smith was “posing” them.  Hahahaha!  This was an Irish steak restaurant and we all enjoyed our dinners so much.  (We ate a lot in Dublin!)

Happy mommy and happy Madeley!

And of course, ice cream for the win that night 🙂 .

Whew!  That wraps up that business!  Day one in Dublin was a HUGE success!  And guess what?  Day two was too!  I will show you tomorrow! xo

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog July 12, 2018 at 4:40 am

I love travelling to walkable cities! It’s such a great way to stay fit on the journey and really explore the place. The whiskey tour sounds fun! 🙂

• Rachel July 12, 2018 at 5:24 am

Don’t EVER apologize for your trip recaps!! If that was all you did every day it would be well worth it. Ya’ll go the most amazing places and I love your travel style. It seems very laid back, not cram everything in!!

• Cara Schickerling July 12, 2018 at 5:40 am

I love reading all of this – myself and my husband are going to Ireland in December – and these pics are getting me so excited!!!

• Samantha Harris July 12, 2018 at 5:44 am

I love that you guys were playing cards at lunch!! What games do your kids enjoy?

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 6:22 am

Crazy 8s and Skit Skat are the two faves! Ashby loves Go Fish 😉 .

• Kimberly July 13, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Ahhh! Skit Skat! I used to play that all the time with my grandmother. And I think you may be the first person outside of my family that wouldn’t look at me like an alien when I say that name

• Elspeth Mizner July 12, 2018 at 5:46 am

Great post, do you find yourself limited at all when seeing things or doing tours in new places with younger children? Would you choose to go to one country over another due to it being more kid friendly?

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 6:22 am

That’s a good question! There are some places we’re waiting to go until the kids are a bit older (like stroller-free!), but I would say that my big three don’t limit us at all! We see the museums, we see how whiskey is made (ha!)…we really don’t miss anything. I felt like we saw a TON of Dublin!

• Nicole Harder July 12, 2018 at 5:50 am

What beautiful photos from Dublin! Such sweet memories.
    Is the color of the blardigan you’re wearing in the first picture available? Love all colors but wanted to double check. Thanks!

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 6:21 am

My color is not one of those (mine is like 3 years old). I really like that Pacific Heather color though!

• Heidi July 12, 2018 at 6:34 am

Ok random question, we’ve been to Ireland twice and adore it. We visited the Jameson Distillery last month and wanted to bring home a bottle, but we’re scared of how to pack it/flying home with it. How did you manage that?

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 6:38 am

Each bottle we brought home came in a box and then we packed our stuff around it in the suit case. None of them broke!

• Heidi July 12, 2018 at 7:24 am

Good to know! I was scared of breakage so I’m glad yours made it ok!

• Jen July 12, 2018 at 6:56 am

Do you shop the Nordstrom sale for your kids?? Like back to school clothes? If so, a post or part of a post on that would be awesome! Especially ideas for boys! And your trip looks amazing! Dublin is on my Togo list for sure!

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 7:20 am

Yes!!! I will post it ASAP! Promise!

• Courtney Johnson July 12, 2018 at 7:03 am

Love these vacation recaps! Looks like so much fun. What are you buying from the Nordstrom sale this year??

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 7:20 am

I shopped this morning! I bought some jeans, shoes, a few Patagonia things and loads of little girl shoes!

• Erika Slaughter July 12, 2018 at 8:10 am

This day looks like so much fun! I’m so glad you used that phrase the entire time!! Haha!!

• Carly July 12, 2018 at 8:14 am

We LOVE your travel posts, keep them coming! Have I missed if you shared where you were staying (like hotel vs. apartment) I always love those suggestions as well! So excited for the castle post!

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 12:59 pm

We did 50/50 on this trip! Based on price and location, we did a little of both!

• Kristin Lockwood July 12, 2018 at 8:18 am

Hi Shay! I’m loving your recaps since we will be visiting Ireland in 2 weeks 🙂 It will be our first time in Europe and I’m wondering how you deal with your hair tools? Did you buy European versions of a curling iron, etc? Thanks, your tips are excellent!!

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 12:59 pm

Voltage adapters! We buy ours on Amazon or Radio Shak!

• Sharon July 12, 2018 at 8:29 am

Where do you do your research for places to eat on vacation? You found some great spots!

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Trip Adviser, Open Table and asking other servers where else we should eat (while we were dining at their restaurant).

• Nicole July 12, 2018 at 8:32 am

So fun!! Is there a reason you didn’t wear your Apple Watch? Also, wondering…when you go for walks with your kids or things like that, do you always track it as an activity or just let it count your steps?

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I didn’t want to keep up with one more thing to charge! Haha! Since we were using voltage adapters, I just thought I could handle one less thing that plugged in. And it depends! If I set out to do a “serious walk”, I track it. If we are just out having fun, I don’t!

• Clare B July 12, 2018 at 9:05 am

Oh that hooded sweater… you know it is my favorite piece of clothing I own, right?! Seriously, the most cozy sweater in the world😍

• kathy July 12, 2018 at 9:27 am

Y’all always look so happy and healthy in all your vacation pics. Do your kids EVER get sick or not feel well on these trips? Then what?

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm

We’ve had a run of good luck! Smith did get pink eye one time on a cruise and the medical office on board gave him prescription eye drops (they filed it on our health insurance just like going to the doctor). I’m trying to think of other times…once, K got altitude sickness and threw up a lot, but that just passed. We’ve really had a good run!

• Lindsay July 12, 2018 at 10:38 am

Would you say that one country was more of a hit for the kids over the other?? For example when I was a kid my parents took us on a trip to England and France and honestly I much preferred my experience in England over France. From your recaps so far I think I’d prefer Ireland!!

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 12:54 pm

They loved both (and we didn’t dislike any of it!), but all of the kids say Scotland (which surprises me because we did more “kid stuff” in Ireland).

• Ann Marie July 12, 2018 at 11:17 am

Looked like your trip was a blast! I’m doing a Shull trip blog catch up this morning!

• Christy B. July 12, 2018 at 11:30 am

❤️❤️❤️ this post! I can’t wait to read more about your time in Ireland! I was so excited to see a Laduree! They have the best macarons. I have a feeling we will be eating our way through Dublin as well! 😉

As for the Nsale…did you see the pink sparkly UGGs for your little girls? My five year old is going to love them!

• Melissa July 12, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Does the whiskey taste better in Ireland? 😉

• Mix and Match Mama July 12, 2018 at 1:50 pm

I liked it more than Scotch!

• Kelly July 12, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Shay, you always look beautiful but lately your hair has looked better than ever!! Are you curling it differently? Mine is about the same length as yours

• Mix and Match Mama July 13, 2018 at 6:24 am

Well, thank you so much, Kelly!!

• Narci Dreffs July 12, 2018 at 1:40 pm

What a fun time in Dublin!! I am loving these recaps so much!! XOXO Narci

• Carly M July 12, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Is that stripped shirt in the beginning of your post one of those Nordstrom tees you’ve posted before? Love it!

• Mix and Match Mama July 13, 2018 at 6:25 am

It’s from Nordstrom. It’s Caslon!

• jamiepottle July 12, 2018 at 4:41 pm

Wow..what a trip! You packed it in. You must have to save a realllllly long time to do a vacation like this one!

• Caroline July 12, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Shay I’m so glad you enjoyed Ireland, I’m an Irish reader living in Cork but I’m betting ye didn’t make it down that far south! or did you? You arrived in the middle of our hottest summer in 35 years, we have never had so much sun!

• Anna July 12, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Weird question but how do you tag your luggage? Like what info do you put on it in case it gets lost?

• Mix and Match Mama July 13, 2018 at 6:24 am

Just the basics: phone, address and email!

• Sarah Shaneyfelt July 12, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Your hair looks so good in these pictures!!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Angela Ellingson July 12, 2018 at 8:07 pm

The whisky tours are something I would probably never have thought to do, but they sounds so interesting. Love these recaps!

• Allie July 13, 2018 at 1:18 am

Y’all are a little over the top with the deserts. Multiple sweets and deserts every day? That’s just too much.

• Mix and Match Mama July 13, 2018 at 6:26 am

On vacation? Nah! We were living in the moment :).

• Kaitlin Brooke July 13, 2018 at 6:19 am

Where is your stripped shirt from?!

• Mix and Match Mama July 13, 2018 at 6:23 am

It’s Caslon from Nordstrom!

• Sheaffer Sims July 13, 2018 at 6:31 am

If I were to ever go on vacation with y’all, I would like to request that you push me around in some type of adult stroller. Y’all get things done, and I’m positive I would need to rest between destinations. 🙂 Loving all the pics!

• Mary Jane McNeill July 13, 2018 at 3:09 pm

We toured the Jameson distillery in Cork, and then went to the Waterford factory. That was so fascinating! Did you tour Guinness also? There’s a view at the top of the brewery of Dublin that is amazing!

• Stephanie July 13, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Where is your striped shirt from? Love it!

• Mix and Match Mama July 14, 2018 at 6:33 am

Nordstrom! It’s from the brand Caslon!

• Stephanie July 13, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Oh! I just saw your response to someone else about it. Is it this year’s?? So cute!

• Dennae July 14, 2018 at 12:10 am

I am sorry if you answered this already. Would you recommend going during this time of the year?

• Mix and Match Mama July 14, 2018 at 6:32 am

I would!! The weather was perfect! If we went again, I think we’d still go during this time!

• Monika August 5, 2018 at 12:01 pm

LOVE your travel posts! You always look so cute and put together- not easy to pull off when traveling with small kids I’m sure- was curious if you would share what eyeliner and foundation you use?:)

• Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 5:33 am

Lancome waterproof eyeliner is what I swear by!! I wear it in Cafe. My foundation has been Bare Minerals gel cream.