Deck the Halls!

Ah!  We decked our halls mid-November, but today, I’m going to show you 🙂 .

Every single year, I do this post because…it helps me remember where I put everything the following year.

Just kidding.

#notreally

I do this post because home tours are always one of my favorite posts (that and “day in the life of…” posts).  So, every year, I do one too.  We LOVE decorating our house for Christmas.  Correct that…we don’t actually love all the work it takes to put it up (why the heck do lights go out after 11 months of just sitting undisturbed in my attic?!?!), but we love the results.

So, come on in!

If you were here right now, you would hear Christmas music being piped in all over the house and it would smell like pine trees.  I would also probably be in my pajamas and slippers giving you this tour.  And telling my kids to be quiet and sit still 😉 .  Welcome…

We’re so glad you’re here!

This is a very cozy spot for reading.

I love me a holiday pillow.  Most of them are from Pottery Barn and collected over many years.

My mercury trees (from Pottery Barn) are aglow thanks to strands of lights inside.

I wish this pic was in motion because my elf moves his hands back and forth 🙂 .

Amy made my sign years and years ago!  I love it so much!!

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care.  If you twist the top part (so don’t hang it right on there but twist it first), then they don’t move.  They’re from Pottery Barn Kids.

A little look into the kitchen.  New light fixtures for those of you who notice details like that 🙂 .  The big bow makes me so happy!

I spy a dog, do you?  That’s Poppy’s “spot”.

It’s hard to see in this pic, but look…

…battery operated lights make it “glow”.

Every year, I set out all of our Santa pics!

Amanda makes so many of my cute holiday signs like these “We Believe” ones.

Oh hey there, Frenchie!

Do you see my bedding back there?  I went plaid this year.  Hahahaha!

A cozy throw (or two) and blocks because…they play with them all.the.time. 😉

One little Advent house we bought in Belgium.

My plates are my favorite things in my entire house.  Lori has been doing them for years and each one is so special!!

Happiness.

The German Restaurant Snow Village is my fave.

We bought this Advent calendar on another trip.  Our elf leaves goodies in there each night.

A sleigh full of ornaments?  Okay!

This car is old!  It’s been broken and glued back together, but I’ll always have it.  My grandmother gave it to me…it’s an old Fitz and Floyd piece.

I found the light up tree at Hobby Lobby this year.

I’ve been adding to my holiday bedding for years.  I think I’m done now 😉 .  It’s all from Pottery Barn.

A little tree in my office.

An upstairs tree too!

Kensington’s room!

Smith’s room.

I mean…the bed is made…I’m not going to question that that pillow is upside down and I’m going to assume it was an accident and not because he hates it.

Ashby and Madeley’s room!

Two trees!  One at the bottom and another at the top of the staircase.

Thanks you for stopping by!  If you were really here, I would send you out the door with a little treat and a hug.  Wishing you the warmest holiday season, friends!  See you tomorrow! xo

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog December 5, 2018 at 4:45 am

I knew I was in for something wonderful from the first picture! ❤️ This is an awesome transformation, Shay! Crazy! I love it! 😀

• Reply Nicole December 5, 2018 at 5:16 am

I just love your house!!! So cozy! You’ve said before that you didn’t want any coffee tables in your house, but I noticed you have one now. What changed your mind? It looks great! Just wondering. 😊

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 5:26 am

I was ready for a change, and the two velvet chairs are recliners, so it seemed like a lot to have recliners plus an ottoman right there. My kids love having the table for puzzles, games, coloring, etc…and I still let everyone put their feet up there too!

• Reply Sarah Yaffe December 5, 2018 at 1:25 pm

That’s so funny because those of us who have been reading this blog for years notice things like this! 😉

• Reply Sheaffer December 5, 2018 at 5:32 am

Everything looks so cozy and festive! And seeing it in real life is so much better than pictures. It’s all GORGEOUS.
    I’m giving a peek into our house today too. But we’ve only got 1 tree. And I only really decorated 2 rooms. I cannot imagine how much time this took you, but it looks AWESOME and the kids have to love it so much!!!
    p.s. LOVE the new light fixtures. A LOT.

• Reply Beth Knecht December 5, 2018 at 5:32 am

Your house is so warm and cozy! I just love it! Thanks for giving us a peek!

• Reply Ahna @ Hammers N Hugs December 5, 2018 at 5:33 am

Shay, I LOVE the new kitchen light fixtures! Excellent choice. I am also wondering if you remember who made, or where you found, your round scalloped plaid place mats I noticed on your kitchen table? I love house tours, and yours looks beautiful!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 6:04 am

I bought them in a store on our square. The brand is April Cornell.

• Reply April Z December 5, 2018 at 5:37 am

Love everything! Looks so inviting🎄 Do you remember where your garlands on your mantles are from?, looking for some that are full like that. Thanks and Merry Christmas🎄🎅🏻

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 6:03 am

The Christmas Store in Plano, TX.

• Reply Elspeth Mizner December 5, 2018 at 5:44 am

Love the holiday tours!!! So festive

• Reply Narci December 5, 2018 at 6:08 am

Your house looks absolutely gorgeous! So pretty, friend! I’m going to bring my laptop over and work from your couch near the fire today, okay? 😉

• Reply Erika Slaughter December 5, 2018 at 6:14 am

Your house is screaming, “Come over and have some coffee!!!!”. It really looks amazing and is oh, so cozy!!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams December 5, 2018 at 6:25 am

My favorite might be the Santa pictures! What a great idea to look back on all the memories. I always love your home tours!

• Reply Tamra December 5, 2018 at 6:33 am

This is one of my favorite posts of the year! Love seeing your house decked out for Christmas!!! XOXO

• Reply Tera Marr December 5, 2018 at 6:39 am

Hi! Where did you get the trees for the kids rooms?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 7:40 am

Hobby Lobby!

• Reply Jeni December 5, 2018 at 6:44 am

I love your house during Christmas! So
    Cozy and soooo beautiful!!!!

• Reply Jill Koch December 5, 2018 at 7:02 am

Beautiful as always! I think of your beautiful cozy home when decorating ours each year. Funny story…I was hanging our stockings the other day and they kept twisting! And I literally thought, how in the world does Shay get hers to hang still? Then I played with them and discovered the twisting of the loop trick, so then when you just posted that tip here I laughed. It was a moment of “Shay, she’s just like us!” 🙂 Thanks for the tour!
    Jill @ https://jillcomesclean.com/

• Reply Amy December 5, 2018 at 7:11 am

Where is your fluffy garland from? So pretty!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 7:40 am

The Christmas Store (or is it Shop?) in Plano, TX. It’s a huge store!

• Reply Amy L December 5, 2018 at 7:30 am

Thanks for the inspiration! I’m switching things up at my house and trying to figure out what to put NEXT to the fireplace – this helped!

• Reply Tracy December 5, 2018 at 7:37 am

So fancy! Not Christmas related but are those art pieces your kids made framed up in the playroom? Super cute!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 7:39 am

They are!!

• Reply Amber December 5, 2018 at 7:41 am

Shay I look forward to this post all year! I love your snowman out front-Where can I find one for my house? also, Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 7:48 am

Sandstone Garden in Joplin, MO!

• Reply Clare B December 5, 2018 at 7:54 am

Love every single bit!! I can only imagine how Christmas-y and wonderful it smells right now!

• Reply Kristi December 5, 2018 at 7:59 am

So pretty! Your home is perfectly cozy for Christmas! Can you please tell me where your fireplace screen is from in your family room? I need one in my life! 😉
    Merry Christmas! 🎄☃️🎁❄️

• Reply Paula December 5, 2018 at 8:10 am

Your home is so grand & beautiful like a staged magazine. Quite spectacular and awe dropping. I noticed your walk way is like cobblestone. WOW! Beautiful.

• Reply Beth Valenta December 5, 2018 at 8:12 am

So festive! All the little touches just make you feel so special!! I should do this.

• Reply Tracy Doubts December 5, 2018 at 8:13 am

Thank you Shay for sharing your beautiful home. I look forward to this post every year. Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

• Reply Danielle December 5, 2018 at 8:17 am

Beautiful, cozy, and festive! Merry Christmas!

• Reply Jenna Lathrop December 5, 2018 at 8:23 am

What a beautiful home! I love seeing how everyone decorates!

• Reply Hanna December 5, 2018 at 8:32 am

Thank you SO much for explaining how to correctly hang the Pottery Barn stockings! We just ordered some this year and we haven’t been able to figure out a workable (and pretty) solution so the names hang just right! So glad you mentioned this! Merry Christmas Shull Family!!

• Reply Rebecca Smith December 5, 2018 at 8:33 am

Where did you get the mini tree skirts for the small trees?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:36 am

Hobby Lobby!

• Reply Francesca December 5, 2018 at 8:38 am

Soooo cozy!! Can I come stay at your house?? Ha! Random question…is that your bedroom or a guest bedroom off the living room?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:36 am

That’s my bedroom!

• Reply Julie December 5, 2018 at 8:47 am

Always one of my favorite posts of the year! Your house looks so cozy and welcoming. I’m looking for a good pine candle this year-any suggestions? I usually use ‘Homesick’ candles but want a bigger size.

• Reply Beverly December 5, 2018 at 8:56 am

This is my favorite post! Beautiful!!!
    I noticed the new light fixtures!!!
    I loved the other ones but these are Gorgeous!😍
    Do you mind sharing where the buffalo check cozy blankets are from in the basket? Thanks

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:35 am

Williams-Sonoma!

• Reply Kelly Buffington December 5, 2018 at 9:00 am

Your home is always pretty but Christmas décor makes it especially inviting! Just curious, do you have all your trees/lights on timers or do you go around turning them on each morning?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:35 am

We turn off the two big trees’ lights, but leave the rest on.

• Reply Nicole December 5, 2018 at 9:13 am

Your home is beautiful. I was wondering if you have all of your lighted decorations on timers or do you go around in the evening and just turn everything off? Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Snady December 5, 2018 at 9:29 am

We also have the cookie car with Santa. It was a gift for my husband from his Mon many Christmases ago. We use it every year and are reminded of her love for us when we see it.

• Reply Nicole December 5, 2018 at 9:35 am

Your home is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you have your lighted decorations on timers or do you go around and turn off in evening? Or maybe you leave it all on? Thanks again!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:35 am

I leave it all on! We turn off the two big trees, but everything else stays on.

• Reply Nancy December 5, 2018 at 9:37 am

Your house is beautiful. Where do you store all of those decorations in the off season? Do you mind telling me which builder built your house? It’s gorgeous.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:34 am

We store it in the attic. And by we, I mean Andrew does. And he doesn’t complain at all. #yeahrigh Hahaha! We had a custom builder here in McKinney build it.

• Reply Tammy December 5, 2018 at 9:53 am

I love the “Days to Christmas” snowman! Where could I find it? Merry Christmas to your family!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:34 am

My cousin Casey gave it to us!

• Reply Bailey December 5, 2018 at 10:03 am

Can I just say that I LOVE that you didn’t make M & A’s beds or fix Smith’s pillow? #reallife House looks so cozy! This is my favorite post every year! Also, do you have a good advent study for this time of year? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:34 am

Hahahaha! I have to make my bed every single morning or my whole day is off…I really don’t care about the kids’ beds. #mamahastoletsomethingsgo

• Reply Schu December 5, 2018 at 10:29 am

Am I the only one wondering where you store all kids’ toys away?!! Your house looks lovely 😊 i wish mine was as spotless but with toddlers the struggle is real!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:33 am

There are no Christmas decorations in the play room because it’s too full of their stuff 😉 . Ha! That’s where it all is!

• Reply Amanda December 5, 2018 at 10:34 am

Your bourse is amazing:) where are those two elves from in the last picture in Madely and Ashby’s room?!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:32 am

My grandmother gave those to me years ago! Aren’t they festive?

• Reply Jane Huey December 5, 2018 at 10:35 am

Absolutely Gorgeous Shay! Love everything on your blog!!! Getting ready to make some of your recipes for gifts…or maybe just for me.

Thanks for making my day a little brighter.

• Reply Jodi December 5, 2018 at 10:57 am

So one thing that I always can’t stand is running around and turning on all the lamps, lights, trees, etc…. Do you leave yours on all the time or do you run around morning and night and when you leave, etc to turn them all off? Are they on timers?? Help me!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:32 am

It’s a mix! Some stuff stays on all the time and some goes off. Every lamp that is on that is not in a bedroom or the family room/kitchen stays on 24/7.

• Reply cassie // hi sugarplum December 5, 2018 at 11:00 am

Oh my word…it’s all so fun and festive!! Love your Christmas traditions and seeing those darling faces! (but can we talk about your charcuterie board?!?! invite me over for that next time!)

• Reply Rachel December 5, 2018 at 11:28 am

Your home looks so cozy, festive and inviting! I love the lit garland around your front door, it’s beautiful!

• Reply Kelly December 5, 2018 at 11:38 am

So beautiful! I love the little elves in Madeley and Ashby’s upstairs space. Do you mind me asking where they’re from? Merry Christmas!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 1:06 pm

My grandmother gave them to me years ago!

• Reply Kimberly December 5, 2018 at 11:43 am

Your house is so beautiful and festive! One of my favorite (super simple) ways to spread Christmas throughout the house is to switch out my shower curtain, bathroom rug and hand towel to a snowman set I got from Bed, Bath, and Beyond! The winter shower curtain makes me happy. I’ve also used your tip of holiday sheets!

• Reply Kristen December 5, 2018 at 11:44 am

I love your home, can you please share your wall color?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige!

• Reply Dona Young December 5, 2018 at 12:24 pm

I am debating on getting a pre-lit artificial tree this year and yours is so so pretty! Where did you get it please? Your home is beautiful!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Our big tree is not pre-lit. We bought it off of a website called something like Trees and Trims (something like that…). The other big tree is pre-lit and I believe it’s Hobby Lobby.

• Reply Karen Chowaniec December 5, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Perfection! I love love love your cozy living room and even before you said it in the caption, I thought to myself what a perfect place to curl up with a book!

• Reply Caitlin Cooney December 5, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Where is your basket from? The one that’s in your living room with the blankets rolled up in. Super cute idea!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 1:05 pm

Pottery Barn!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick December 5, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I just love your house at Christmas!! That Inspired Chick

• Reply Kimberly C December 5, 2018 at 12:58 pm

So if I ever win the lottery, can I buy a copy of the blueprint of your house?! #kidding #amireallythough 🤨 I also love seeing all of you guys’ home tours and day in the life of posts — almost makes me want to start a blog of my own! I am very seriously envious of your fireplaces. And your entire kitchen! I’m constantly trying to picture how to rearrange things to make enough room for a fireplace.
    How is Kensington feeling about the Santa visit this year? My 10 year old said he doesn’t want to go with me and the younger boys this year to see Santa and it about crushed me 😩 mostly because it means he’s reached that age and is growing up.
    Your house is so cozy, welcoming, and full of love! Thanks for the tour! ♥️

• Reply Sarah Yaffe December 5, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Shay, your home is beautiful as always! Love your new light fixtures! Okay, so I know you obviously cleaned up for your tour but I also know from reading this blog forever that you are Type-A neat freak and that you have someone who cleans your house. Can you shed some more light on how to keep your house clean and organized? Does your house get cleaned more than once a week? Do you have certain times of the day that you clean and organize? How early did you start teaching your kids to help clean up? I have 3 year old twins, two dogs, and a cat and our house isn’t nearly as big as yours— 3,700 sq ft. I don’t work and have someone clean once a week but I still feel like I’m drowning in messes, laundry and dishes and I feel like I’m constantly cleaning. I just figured since you work, and have 4 kids, 2 dogs and a big house you would have some advice!!! Do you have systems in place to make sure your house is always relatively neat and tidy? Maybe you need to do a whole post on this!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 6, 2018 at 5:28 am

Oh my gosh, Sarah…you know us so well. We just are in the habit of picking up all the time. Andrew is even more type-A than I am, so between the two of us, we’re always picking up/putting away/organizing/purging. We have baskets in multiple rooms for toys and stuff to go (even in our master), but by now, my kids just know that if they get some stuff out, they need to put it away when they’re done. I took these pics while everyone was at school, so everything was picked up. In the family room, those big doors by the fireplace have lots of toys/puzzles/such in there and so they get played with and then put away. It’s just a constant thing we’re doing. Because we’re weird. And most likely too type-A. 😉

• Reply Stefenie Garcia December 5, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Your house is beautiful! Love your bedding! Kind of a weird question but what kind of mattress do you use? It looks really comfy and thick!

• Reply Karen Lindstrom December 5, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Please share where your charcuterie board is from….thank you!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 6, 2018 at 5:25 am

Williams Sonoma!

• Reply kellie carrara December 5, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Love everything!! It’s so festive and fun! I’m inspired! Each year I have a new theme — or a twist — each year, and this year’s is black and white buffalo plaid with pops of red. Tree ribbon, garland ribbon and pillows. I love decorating and aim to have all mine done before Thanksgiving, too! Got to have it up to enjoy all those Hallmark movies! 🙂
    Enjoy every minute of the season with all your littles! Merry Christmas!

• Reply Chelsey F December 5, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Love it all, I look forward to this post every year! I have a question regarding your holiday pillows – do you use the same pillow and switch out covers every holiday/season or do you just get the pillow w/ the cover and switch them out?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 6, 2018 at 5:25 am

Yes! I try and do that because it’s easier to store it that way.

• Reply Mrs B December 5, 2018 at 5:12 pm

My favorite part is the beautiful Advent calendar!!

• Reply Lindsay December 5, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Beautiful and cozy 🌲 where did you find your joyful sign for the stockings and the big bow?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 6, 2018 at 5:24 am

Pottery Barn used to sell the individual letters and I bought those and then we spray painted them red (they were just iron).

• Reply Lea Culp December 5, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Lovely, lovely! I remember the days when I decorated just about every inch of our house but, not so much anymore. I do more “touches” of Christmas. It’s still very pretty but just a whole lot less. :0)) Enjoy these special times.

• Reply Angela Ellingson December 5, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Seriously so beautiful and cozy! It’s so fun collecting Christmas decorations over the years!

• Reply danielle enea December 5, 2018 at 10:18 pm

love all your warm and sunny posts! and the new pendants, love those too! merry, merry to you and your sweet family!

• Reply Debbie December 5, 2018 at 11:54 pm

My goodness! So beautiful. All I see is a lot of work and not as much fun putting it away for another year. You are a do’er and it certainly pays off! Your kids will have wonderful memories of their childhood thanks to you Shay! 🙌🏻😀🙌🏻🎄

• Reply Kelly December 6, 2018 at 12:06 am

I think your stocking tip is going to be life changing for me this Christmas. It drives me bonkers when my stockings are turned around and it happens ALL. THE. TIME. So thank you!!! And your house looks so cozy all decked out for Christmas. I love it!

• Reply Kelsey December 6, 2018 at 12:43 am

So festive and cozy! What’s the best way you’ve found to store your holiday pillows and bedding?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 6, 2018 at 5:22 am

The inserts come separate from the pillow covers, so a lot of the time, I just buy the covers (which are super easy to fold and store) and swap them with other pillows.

• Reply shawnna Griffin December 6, 2018 at 5:54 am

hey girl- love your home! so cool!

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt December 6, 2018 at 6:09 am

Your house is so beautiful!!! I love your home tour posts!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Patty Anderson December 6, 2018 at 11:32 am

Have you ever had a pre-lit tree “die” in the middle of the season after the tree is decorated? We did one year and it was awful! Now we put on our own lights instead-no guarantee, but it beats having to replace a tree! Beautiful home, Shay. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Carlie December 6, 2018 at 10:23 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen where your bedroom was in your house. It’s usually cut off in your pictures. Have you ever done a video tour of your house.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 7, 2018 at 5:26 am

I did a small one on Insta Stories when my fall decor was up!

• Reply Charlene Carlson December 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Love love love your house & decor! Do you still have your red couch?? That was a favorite of mine. Merry Christmas! 🎄

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 9, 2018 at 5:15 am

We do! We just relocated it!

• Reply J. Rose December 10, 2018 at 1:35 am

Beautiful! Where is your sofa/ console table from?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 10, 2018 at 5:27 am

Restoration Hardware!

• Reply Erin December 11, 2018 at 8:53 pm

Your home is truly beautiful! Where did you find the garland and little trees for the planters on your porch? I’m on the hunt for ones just like that! Please & thank you!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 12, 2018 at 5:25 am

The garland we bought at a local Christmas store, but the little trees are real! They’re from Home Depot!

• Reply Amanda December 12, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Your home looks beautiful and so cozy! I always admire the doves in the cabinet next to your fireplace. Are they Lladro?