Kensington’s Ugly Sweater Party!

On Sunday night, we hosted Kensington’s First Annual Ugly Sweater Party!!

Last week, I hosted my own ugly sweater party and while I was planning that one, she asked me if she could have one too.  I was like TOTALLY!  #hermothersdaughter  I asked her who she wanted to invite and she said five sweet friends who go to church with us (some of them also go to the same school too).  After this party was all said and done, I told Andrew it was the easiest little party I’ve ever hosted because THEY WERE SO SWEET AND EASY!!  This was such a special night for us.  Here are a few pics so you can see too…

Thank you Hobby Lobby for making things easy 🙂 .

Kensington requested a Chocolate Candy Cane Cake and it was so yummy!  You can see the recipe HERE.

Hobby Lobby had Christmas Bingo, and the girls loved it!

I also had clues in a mug for Christmas Pictionary!

The table was all set and we were just waiting for her little friends to arrive…

We had musical reindeer antlers at everyone’s place for them to take home.

And some fun little goodie bags too!

She was pumped to wear her ugly sweater (thank you, Target!).  We brought down her marker board for Pictionary.

Kensington picked the menu.  We had a veggie tray (thank you, Trader Joe’s!) and then she wanted my Tomato Basil Soup with…

…grilled cheese sandwiches.  My friend Brittany told me about this bread.  It is INSANE! I have now bought it three weeks in a row!!

I like a lot of butter on my grilled cheese 🙂 .  #becauseitmakeseverythingbetter

Our sweet friends arrived!  Presley wasn’t able to make it, so we had five cuties in ugly sweaters.

I LOVED listening to them talk while they ate dinner.  They were so funny, sweet and HAPPY eating their dinner.

They also ate half of my cake 🙂 .

We played Christmas Pictionary…

…and it got super intense and competitive!

Hahahahaha!  Look at them!

And then, we wrapped up the night with Christmas Bingo.  I think we played 4 or 5 rounds.

It was such a special way to kick off December!

I asked Kensington if I could share this and she said I could…but this year has been her BEST year.  Kensington has always struggled with being really shy when she’s not at home.  At church, at school, at dance…she has been so shy that it’s actually made things quite difficult for her.  It’s been hard for us to help her because at home, SHE’S THE LIFE OF THE PARTY, but everywhere else, she has been really reserved and shy.

Academically speaking, this has been tough because sometimes her shyness made teachers think she didn’t understand her work/know what to do because she would get nervous a lot.  Or she would have a question because she didn’t understand but be too shy to raise her hand.  She is also that sweet kiddo that cried on the first day of dance/church/whatever because everything was new…but friends, SHE HAS COME OUT OF HER SHELL!  Fourth grade has changed everything!!

First, she has an amazing teacher who has really encouraged Kensington in so many ways.  Her principal told me this summer that it was her goal to make Kensington feel confident in fourth grade and hello?  Mission accomplished!  She has an awesome Sunday school teacher named Emily who has been so encouraging to her that she LOVES going to class and never says she’s nervous.  Add on a totally cool dance studio owner who has really been encouraging and then add in her new love of volleyball (which her coach told me I was lying when I said K used to be shy), and I now have a really confident kid.

Guess what she did yesterday?  She stood up in front of the whole fourth grade and gave a speech because she’s running for “judge” of their town.

A SPEECH.

IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE GRADE.

SHE STOOD ON A STAGE.

AND TALKED.

I mean, I could really cry.  It has been such a wonderful year.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that in case you’re a mama with a kiddo that’s super shy too.  I feel ya.  The shy thing was really crippling, but friends, she’s got it going on right now!  I’m so proud of this girl and was thrilled to host her first Ugly Sweater Party 🙂 .

• Reply Taylor December 4, 2018 at 4:45 am

Wow what a fun party!! These are moments she will cherish forever. I am so grateful for all of the parties my mom threw for me & I remember all of the special details too!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog December 4, 2018 at 4:58 am

What a fun party! You’re such a great host, Shay. 🙂

• Reply Erika Slaughter December 4, 2018 at 5:10 am

Ebby Lee had so much fun!! She couldn’t stop talking about it when she got home! And I heard Kensington did an amazing job on her speech!

• Reply Beth Knecht December 4, 2018 at 5:10 am

Aw!! How sweet for Kensington to want her own Ugly Sweater Party!

• Reply Peyton Cline December 4, 2018 at 5:12 am

What a neat party idea!!! As a former shy girl myself, I loved reading Kensington’s story. You are an awesome and encouraging mama, and she is blessed to have you cheering her on!

• Reply AngieN December 4, 2018 at 5:21 am

This just made me tear up! As adults, we forget how hard it is to be a kid! The struggles are real; my grandchildren are 10, 8 (twins), 5 and 3. The things they are faced with and struggle with daily are so different than things I struggled with 30 years ago. I pray daily that influences in their life will point them toward Christ and encourage them. What a blessing that Kensington (and the other three as well) is surrounded by adults and friends that encourage and build up. She is well on her way to a beautiful, confident, Christ-loving adult. And even though I don’t know you or her, that just makes me happy and thankful!

• Reply Amy December 4, 2018 at 5:26 am

Or now12 year old was super shy when she was younger as well. Same think as Kensington- at home she was the life of the party, but in public we had to do lots of coaching to get her to do things like tell a waitress what she wanted to order or knock on her grandparents door when we were coming. LOTS of years of hiding behind my husband and me in social situations. She grew out of it around the same time.

• Reply Sheaffer December 4, 2018 at 5:28 am

This is AMAZING, Shay! GREAT JOB, Kensington! We are all so proud of you!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams December 4, 2018 at 5:37 am

Aw go Kensington!! That’s awesome that she’s getting the support in all areas to thrive! This party is adorable and she looks so happy in the pics! I gotta make that candy cane cake!

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt December 4, 2018 at 5:40 am

Such a cute party idea for little girls! She’s definitely your daughter haha!!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Elspeth Mizner December 4, 2018 at 5:54 am

Coming from a girl who was super shy growing up I can relate! So wonderful to hear she is finally coming out of her shell. She is on such a good path from here on out alosnot doesn’t hurt she has a wonderful family too!

• Reply Narci December 4, 2018 at 6:33 am

What a fun party! Presley was sooooo sad to miss the fun! That’s a precious group of girls right there! Xo

• Reply Sarah Dizard December 4, 2018 at 6:34 am

Hi Shay,
    This is such a cute party idea!! My oldest daughter is turning 9 on December 10th and we never do friend parties, but she was requesting one. I wanted to do one that is really low key over winter break and this may be perfect. Were the kids entertained by the bingo because I love how easy that is! Can I ask what your favors were? And I’m assuming each girl found their own sweater? Thanks in advance! Love hearing how Kensington is coming out of her shell-so amazing and a relief because we worry so much for our kids as mamas. 💕

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 4, 2018 at 7:19 am

Yes! I think they also loved Bingo because it moved quickly. In the sacks were all sorts of Christmas things I found at Hobby Lobby (Christmas Pez, little holiday coloring books, sparkly gel pens, and stuff like that!).

• Reply Kacey M December 6, 2018 at 12:42 pm

This is a really fun thing to do as well! My daughter has a white elephant party every year & they all ask for the Saran Wrap game!!

• Reply Erin Port December 4, 2018 at 6:45 am

The last part made me tear up, we have some shy but oh so sweet kiddos at our house too. I am starting to see them come out of their shell too and it’s thanks to sweet adults believing in them and loving them well outside of our home. I am so thankful for them! xoxo ERIN

• Reply Jill Koch December 4, 2018 at 6:46 am

Go Kensington!! I love watching you’re little ones grow. They seem like the sweetest kids. Such a fun party idea for kids and adults! Was Kensington accepting 30 something’s to her party because Christmas bingo sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Jill @ https://jillcomesclean.com/

• Reply Abby Larson December 4, 2018 at 7:00 am

This is just the sweetest! I really admire and love how you empower your children, encourage them, and build them up. You’re a great mom and a great role-model to them, Shay! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Melissa December 4, 2018 at 7:02 am

Thank you for sharing! Way to go, Kensington! I was a former shy girl, and two of my daughters are extremely shy. I know what you mean when you say it’s crippling. It’s so heartbreaking to watch them want to be involved but feel too shy/nervous to participate. I’m happy for your daughter!!

• Reply Amy Heinl December 4, 2018 at 7:02 am

What a fun little party for her and her friends..so glad she is having her best year ever

• Reply Ralinn December 4, 2018 at 7:04 am

What a sweet and fun party. I can totally relate to Kensington being shy. It is wonderful to read she is coming out of her shell. I’m glad you shared her story. So many children and adults can relate.

• Reply Brooke Richardson December 4, 2018 at 7:07 am

The cutest little party for such sweet girls!!! Love it!

• Reply Jami Romano December 4, 2018 at 7:12 am

Super cute and totally heartwarming 🙂 XO

• Reply Jill Peterson December 4, 2018 at 7:13 am

Well done, Kensington & Mom! Looked SO FUN, and I’m sure so many fun memories were made!!

• Reply Kim December 4, 2018 at 7:21 am

I feel for her! As the quintessential shy kid, I spoke in front of the school district board at age 9. You really have to push kids like me and K but it does get easier! Never goes away but you learn to push yourself after a while 🙂

• Reply Liz December 4, 2018 at 7:24 am

What a darling party with some darling girls! I am so happy to hear that Kensington in coming out of her shell and gaining confidence. How wonderful! Yay!!!

• Reply Elizabeth December 4, 2018 at 7:29 am

Wow, looks like such a fun little party! I love that Kensington is taking after you with things like this. Coming from a fellow introvert, I love to hear that this has been an awesome year for her and she is really coming out of her shell! She is such a sweetheart.

• Reply Leslie December 4, 2018 at 7:37 am

This post right here is why I love your blog. I have 4th grade twin boys who are super shy. They are starting to come out of their shell and I am so proud of them. Having a shy child is hard at times, but playing sports and keeping them very active makes such a difference!

• Reply Lina December 4, 2018 at 7:39 am

Awww that is so sweet! I can totally relate because my 3rd grader is just now coming out of her shell and it makes my heart want to burst! So encouraging!!! And what a sweet party! You do up a tween party just as nice as an adult one! 😍

• Reply Melissa Terry December 4, 2018 at 7:42 am

SO fun! I teared up reading the part about K because I have a shy one too…thanks for the encouragement this morning. My kiddo shocked us all by saying he wanted to participate in Student Council this year and that’s been great for him…baby steps are so important!

• Reply Julie December 4, 2018 at 7:49 am

You are the best mom, Shay! I’m really glad to hear K is enjoying her year. As a parent, some of the things you want the very most for your children just cannot be bought or rushed so I totally understand how exciting it is when you get to watch your child enjoy something you’ve wanted so much for them. Happy Holidays to you!

• Reply Liz December 4, 2018 at 7:53 am

Such a fun idea!! And this is SO my Graci! People don’t believe she is as loud and boisterous as me. And I am like yep she’s actually the funniest most wonderful girl but she’s shy outside our family. Which does make it hard. We’ve really had to work especially since moving back. It’s tough!!

• Reply Kacy Mah December 4, 2018 at 7:53 am

Aww this is so sweet! Can totally see her following her Mama’s footsteps!

• Reply kathy olson December 4, 2018 at 8:03 am

That is awesome! I’m so happy for her and for you as her mama.

• Reply Kristin Bannister December 4, 2018 at 8:05 am

Bella has the best time ever!! She is still talking about the fun they had! A perfect party for these precious friends! I am so happy for Kensington’s speech- I just know she did amazing!

• Reply Jeni Mourton December 4, 2018 at 8:07 am

Awe,I love this!! She is so grown up!

• Reply Bethany Skobel December 4, 2018 at 8:09 am

You are such a great Mom!! I wish I could go to that party 🙂

• Reply Rebecca Jo December 4, 2018 at 8:11 am

Hold up… does the dog have on a sweater too??? 🙂 HAHA – so cute!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 4, 2018 at 9:36 am

Hahahahahahaha! Yes!!

• Reply Keisha Dawson December 4, 2018 at 8:12 am

What a sweet tradition to start. You are setting a wonderful example for her!

• Reply Jenna Lathrop December 4, 2018 at 8:14 am

What a fun party for those girls! It looks like they had a great time. That is so good that she is coming out of her shell. As a mom, that can be so hard on our heart.

• Reply Jill December 4, 2018 at 8:14 am

This is so wonderful!!!

• Reply Laurie S December 4, 2018 at 8:15 am

Love the party details. But I love that your girl is emerging from her “shy shell”. Please continue to encourage her and nurture her young spirit. It took me until my late teens to start learning to speak up and out.

• Reply Sharon December 4, 2018 at 8:16 am

I live everything about this fun girls’ party!! I used to host these for my now-16-year-old daughter…so so fun! ❤️ And I love hearing how Kensington has come out of her shell (I can relate to that as well). What a sweet group of friends she has. Loved the menu too!

• Reply Kelly Buffington December 4, 2018 at 8:26 am

What a great party idea! Simple but fun, love it! And, I teared up as you described K’s challenges and how she is overcoming them with help of the caring adults in her life. What a blessing!

• Reply Kim Fleming December 4, 2018 at 8:38 am

Aa a teacher of 30 years, grades 3 – 8, many children that become fearless leaders were once shy and reserved. Building her confidence and maturity is two variables that just take time in some. Since she is doing this now, she is on her way to a bold and beautiful future!

• Reply Jennifer December 4, 2018 at 8:56 am

Hello Shay! Love your blog! This post about Kesington being shy has really resignated with me. My daughter is currently 5 yrs old and seems to be struggling with shyness. Similar to Kensington, she is the life of the party at home but seems to even have trouble making friends at school due to her being so shy. Any tips on how to deal and help her from your perspective would be great! Thank you so much, Jennifer.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 4, 2018 at 9:35 am

Oh gosh, I wish I had some amazing advice. Besides prayer (because that changes so much!), we really tried to find her “thing” to boost her confidence. I think volleyball helped her a lot!

• Reply Kathy Lang December 4, 2018 at 8:59 am

What a sweet party! I was also very shy as a child, and I’m a first-born. I think it took me until around 5th grade before I finally felt more confident in public situations. I didn’t have as much difficulty in places like school or church as soon as I got to know my new teacher, but I would NOT speak to strangers (new people) at all–even with my parents standing right there. So glad Kensington is having the best year!

• Reply Melanie December 4, 2018 at 9:04 am

I love that she is hosting her own parties. How sweet.

But I especially LOVE hearing how confident she is. Confidence is hard. It’s super hard for me as an adult. Praise God that she is more comfortable in her skin!

• Reply Julia December 4, 2018 at 9:18 am

This is SO cute! I’m totally going to do this with my daughter when she gets older! I was extremely shy in grade school. My kindergarten teacher told my parents I needed to get “tested” because in her 30 years of teaching she’d never seen a student so shy – that was so incredibly cruel! There was nothing wrong with me and I just grew out of it as my I gained confidence and developed some life skills. I think it’s wonderful that Kensington is rocking this year!

• Reply Molly Bierens December 4, 2018 at 9:22 am

Such a fun little party! That awesome Kensington is coming out of her shell! 🙂

• Reply Ali Martinich December 4, 2018 at 9:24 am

The ending of this blog post gave me so much hope! I have a 3rd grade daughter who is unbelievably shy and nervous in all situations outside of our home. It keeps her from participating in so many fun things 🙁 We encourage her so much and work with her alot. It has been a very frustrating thing for my husband and I as her parents because we see her true side at home and she is, like your Kensington, the life of the party!!! We pray daily for ways that we can help her to grow her confidence…maybe she just needs another year and 4th grade will be here year too! Thanks Shay for sharing that about your girl!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 4, 2018 at 9:34 am

She completely changed between 3rd and 4th. I’m going to stop right now and pray for your sweet girl.

• Reply Leina December 4, 2018 at 8:02 pm

I’m in the same boat with a shy 3rd grade daughter! I’m praying every day she will gain confidence and come out of her shell more. Hopefully the change between 3-4th grade will help. And maybe I need to sign her up for volleyball instead of cheer next semester! Lol

• Reply Elise December 4, 2018 at 9:27 am

Oh, this looks so fun!! That chocolate candy cane cake looks delish!

xx, Elise

• Reply Kerri December 4, 2018 at 9:35 am

Loved this post! Loved the party! My Daughter and I do that too! I am hosting a “Favorite Things Party” and my 10 year old daughter has a holiday party every year. One year she had gingerbread house making, last year was cookie decorating and this year is Holiday crafts! Homemade Christmas Snowglobes! I love it and we put together little favors for her party as well! My favor for my party is the Pottery Barn Monogram Mug for all my friends. Love hosting! So happy to hear about her year as well! I noticed such a difference in 4th grade too!

• Reply Reba December 4, 2018 at 9:43 am

Being a kid who was painfully shy myself was so so hard, but I am SO HAPPY to read of the encouragement Kensington receives and how much it’s impacted her! These posts are the sweetest!

• Reply Meghan December 4, 2018 at 9:44 am

Your Kensington story is amazing. I WAS her growing up, and now I am seeing it again in my four year old. I hope that my daughter will be blessed with wonderful teachers, coaches, and leaders as she grows up too! 🙂

• Reply Jessica December 4, 2018 at 9:52 am

Thank you for sharing Kensington’s story! My sweet 7 year old daughter, also suffers from her shyness. It’s extremely frustrating when people ask me what happened to make her shy! As if, I did something to make her like that. That’s how God made her, and she’s perfect. Second grade has been much better for her but she has a bit to go. It’s great to hear that she can still grow more confident. I love your family and your stories! I came for the recipes, and now I come for your family. ❤️

• Reply Brittany December 4, 2018 at 9:56 am

I absolutely love this! Love that sweet girl and that she wanted to host her own party 🙂 Also so glad other people are getting to see her sweet spirit now!!

• Reply Ella December 4, 2018 at 10:07 am

I can identify that 10 is the sweetest age. I hosted my sister’s 10th birthday party and the girls were just the sweetest.

• Reply Leanne Gilchrist December 4, 2018 at 10:10 am

Shay, sometimes I love to read the comments on your posts, because always, several readers are so touched, so inspired, so grateful for your slice of real life that you show. I love it that you shared this, because, at the end of the day, no matter our income status or where we live or what we look like, we’re all in this together. We’re all struggling to do the “Mama” thing right or better. Thank you so much for sharing Kensington’s struggle. AND this party? Thanks for posting this, I’d never have thought of something like this! And it can be customized to any season! We’ve got birthdays coming up, my Lucie will be 10 at the end of January, and my Pennie Jane will be 8 in March, and what a great idea for parties! I’m stopping right now to pray for all of these mamas! Thanks, Shay, for this post!

• Reply Darcy December 4, 2018 at 10:16 am

What a fun post…such a festive and charming party! What a blessing and encouraging story about Kensington! I got teary reading about her social challenges and how things have really turned around positively. My daughter was really shy at the beginning of elementary and I was sad thinking how life just seems harder for an introvert. I think dance really turned things around for her. Learning to perform in front of people with grace, poise and confidence. I think it is key to find something that they love to do and being involved with an encouraging, small group at church. So great that Kensington has found that!

• Reply Debbra L Weber December 4, 2018 at 10:22 am

What a fun party!! The sliced French Brioche looks soooo good. Is it at Costco?? I struggled being shy when I was young too so I get it. My oldest son was shy too when he was younger. He is now a confident, caring young man with a silly heart.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Trader Joe’s!

• Reply Clare B December 4, 2018 at 10:40 am

Love this! She’s such a bright light!!! Gonna grow up to be just like her sweet Mama❤️

• Reply Bethany December 4, 2018 at 10:43 am

Thank you for sharing about Kensington! I have a 4 year old who is very shy out of the house and at home, a firecracker! She has a severe speech delay so that accounts for some of the shyness but some is just being shy. It’s so encouraging hearing about other kids who have gone through similar things and come out shining! Yay for you, Kensington! And thank you so much for your transparency and openness, Shay!

• Reply Shannon Rose December 4, 2018 at 10:53 am

I always love reading your posts, but this last part about Kensington really struck a chord with me. (I’m NOT a crier…and teared up.) Our son, now 12, was never super shy, but lacked confidence in almost everything he did outside of home. His performance academically was okay, but we always felt like he had it in him to do a little better. (We do not have “All A-Student” goals, but “do your best” instead.) Finally, in 5th grade we met the teacher who has changed our lives. She saw in our son what she had gone through with her own son. Our sweet boy, thanks to this amazing teacher, pointed us in the direction of seeking help for a potential ADHD diagnosis. He does not exhibit any behavioral issues, so this never really crossed our minds. After endless testing and various appointments, this boy is text-book ADHD. He now takes a little pill each morning and leaves the house with confidence we didn’t know existed for him. He isn’t afraid to ask questions, raise his hand when he might know the answer. I pray your road with Kensington continues to be positive. The parenting gig is TOUGH!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick December 4, 2018 at 10:54 am

Ok, first of all, Brittany always has the best suggestions from Trader Joes. Second, that party looked adorable and I kind of feel like we should bust out Pictionary at our next party now…Hahaha! And finally, I could have written your “academically speaking” paragraph word for word about Matthew! He has really come out of his shell this year too though and I’m so happy!! Baseball is helping him gain more confidence the way K is with volleyball. Love these sweet kids!!
    That Inspired Chick

• Reply Susie Yates December 4, 2018 at 11:00 am

Loved all aspects of this story! I just retired from teaching last year and I would’ve loved a student like your sweet girl…building confidence and relationships was one of my favorite things to do and it’s what I miss the most from my teaching days. But, I have to say that I think all these “ugly sweaters” are still SO CUTE! I suppose that’s related to my age of 56?!?!?! :0

• Reply Shelby December 4, 2018 at 11:11 am

Oh Shay, thank you for sharing snd thanks to Kensignton for allowing you to share about her overcoming her shyness. I’m in tears over here! I have a 6 year old girl who is so incredibly shy and reserved. I so wish everyone could see how bright her light shines! She cries every day on the way to school, every Sunday on the way to church, and before any new event. She suffers from gastrointestinal problems due to her nervousness. She gets so nervous and worked up that she makes herself sick.

I pray every day that she overcomes these trials and that she will leg her light shine for all to see and reading how much Kensington has blossomed gives me so much hope! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Michelle December 4, 2018 at 11:12 am

Hi Shay,

My daughter was exactly like Keningston, shy and cried on the first day of something new, but yet she’s so funny and energetic at home. I was frustrated and worry during those times. My daughter is now in 7th grade and she has so many friends at school! It just takes time and my daughter grew out of it.

• Reply Crystal December 4, 2018 at 11:17 am

Awe…now if that doesn’t just make your heart burst! ❤️

• Reply MalloryF December 4, 2018 at 11:37 am

This just warms my mama heart. My daughter is name is Kensington too. ❤️❤️❤️

• Reply Traci December 4, 2018 at 12:34 pm

What a fun party and so happy for Kensington. As an adult who was always a shy, reserved child and still am today, I so wish I would have had teachers that would have helped instill more confidence in me rather than always commenting on how quiet I was which did nothing to help boost my confidence, just made me more self-conscious. It’s a struggle I still face today that has been a big burden for me. I’ve never understood why people need to comment and call other people out for being ‘quiet’. Imagine if you told someone they talked too much or were too loud or boisterous – it would be so rude!

• Reply Angela Ellingson December 4, 2018 at 12:36 pm

This is the best! You are such a fun mama! That’s great to hear about K!

• Reply Jessica Leymaster December 4, 2018 at 12:40 pm

I’m so happy to hear that Kensington has gotten over her shyness and found her confidence! I was really shy growing up too and it honestly took me until late high school and even into my early adulthood to really get over it. She’ll be able to enjoy life so much more and she’ll definitely need that confidence going into middle and high school. Yay Kensington!

• Reply Ashley Baxter December 4, 2018 at 1:20 pm

What a fun party!

• Reply Cortny December 4, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I may have commented this before but I would highly recommend the book Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can’t stop talking. My husband is introverted as is most of his family. He read the book first and encouraged me to read it to help understand what makes him tick and I am also in management so it helped me understand those that I manage that are introverted. My two girls are opposite personalities so it was really eye opening to read about it in the book. Would highly recommend!

PS: We are adopting from South Korea and your blog has been very instrumental getting us to that point!

• Reply Corbie December 4, 2018 at 2:26 pm

What an encouraging post! I just loved reading this!! I know this will touch and bless a lot of people that read this. Love the party idea too- such a great menu 🙂

• Reply Liz Thorson December 4, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Learning what a marvelous year this has been for Kensington made my heart sing! I have noticed how happy she has looked in all of your pictures for many months now, and I’m thrilled to have you share that she is so happy, confident and fulfilled with life! Her party looked like so much fun for the girls and of course, all of the details were darling! Way to go wonderful party planner and giver, Shay!❤️🎄❤️

• Reply Francene M Katzen December 4, 2018 at 4:17 pm

So very happy to hear your daughter! Just know your heart is full, because this can be so tough. I had a shy little girl one time too, put her in dance and that brought her front and center. All of your girls are so pretty. Glad to hear your daughter has so many people in her corner to help. The little sweater party was just so cute and precious. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

• Reply Rhonda December 4, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Bless! Raise our glasses to all that awesomeness every one, everywhere who is slow (shy) to come out, but when does … IS AMAZING! It’s a real blessing to everyone!

• Reply Bri December 4, 2018 at 5:28 pm

I was that kid in elementary school. And now I’m a teacher and basically present to an audience all day long. Us shy kiddos all find our way out of our shells in our way and on our own time. 🙂 I’m proud of Kensington too!

• Reply Ashley W. December 4, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Such a cute idea, my little girl would love this! I’m happy to hear that Kensington is having a good year, it looks like she has a great group of friends 🙂

• Reply Bailey December 4, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Such a cute party! My grandma hosted several Christmas “Tea Parties” for my friends and I growing up. Everyone came dressed in their Christmas best! As we got older, we changed it up. Instead of tea parties, we “adopted” a family for Christmas and each person/friend was in charge of buying certain items for different members of the family & everyone brought canned goods, etc. I remember the tea parties fondly, but will NEVER forget a single family we got to share some love with. Merry Christmas!

• Reply Alex December 4, 2018 at 8:53 pm

So sweet! I was the same exact way as a kid- painfully shy (would never DARE ask a question in class!!) but a chatterbox at home- it’s great to hear how much she is flourishing!! I wish I had someone to help with that when I was younger!!

• Reply Laura @ Cheered On Mom December 5, 2018 at 7:25 am

Aww, I’m so happy for Kensington! Love the ugly sweater party ideas too. 💕

• Reply Doreen December 5, 2018 at 10:47 am

So happy for Kensington. She is a beautiful girl.

• Reply Jaren December 8, 2018 at 7:22 am

Shay, this is the cutest party ever!!! My 6 year old is shy in public on the first day of anything. Like we have had to leave a birthday party because she just couldn’t overcome it and wanted to leave. It’s heartbreaking because she’s not like that at home at all! Thanks for sharing because I do hope it will get better.