Let’s Look at OUR FAVORITE READS!

Let's Look!

It’s the second Wednesday of the month which means it’s…

Let's Look At...

Once a month, Erika and I host a link up where we “look” at little aspects of our lives.  If you’re a blogger, make sure you blog and link up!

In January, we looked at the coziest spots in our house and today, we’re looking at OUR FAVORITE READS!

Every month, I share with you the books I’m reading and then at the end of the year, I wrap it all up with my favorites.  Here is a quick recap of all of my favorites from over the years…

2014
#1: My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan
#2: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
#3: Castle of Water by Dane Huckelbridge
Bonus Faves from 2018
#1: Swear on this Life by Renee Carlino
#2: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

So, those are a lot of my favorite recent novel reads, but I do have some other favorite reads starting with…

…my favorite magazines.

Okay, I used to reallllly be a magazine junkie.  I mean, at one point, I think I subscribed to like 25 of them.  Last year, I cut down my subscriptions by a ton (which was harder than you might think because they do not make it easy!), and now, I subscribe to these:
GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
SOUTHERN LIVING
FAMILY CIRCLE
TASTE OF HOME
WOMEN’S HEALTH
…then, if I see one at the grocery store that just screams my name, I might buy it, but for the most part, I’m super happy with just these 🙂 .

I also love to read…

…my Bible, Bible study books and commentaries.

I almost always use this Bible right HERE.  I love any study by Beth Moore (but particularly her older ones), and then this commentary

Okay, anyone besides me like to read good old-fashioned catalogs from the mailbox?  These are my favorites, and I pretty much treat them like magazines…
Athleta (my absolute favorite!!)
Pottery Barn
Pottery Barn Kids
Williams-Sonoma
Boden

Anyone else?  I kind of get giddy when they arrive!

Okay, I laugh all the time because EVERY.SINGLE.MONTH on my book reviews someone tells me to read…

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.

I read this one forever ago, but I still remember it so well!  If you haven’t read Redeeming Love, you totally should!  Trust me, it’s everyone’s favorite over on my book reviews 😉 .

Did I miss anything?  I mean, you guys know how much I love to read!!  If you missed this…

January Book Review

…my JANUARY BOOK REVIEW, you should click on over there to see what I’ve been reading so far this year.

Okay, right now, this very minute, shoot me straight.  If you had to name your very favorite book of all-time, what would it be????  This is really hard for me, but I think I would say this one…

Bridget Jones’s Diary.  It’s my favorite movie too.  This is just one of those books that I can pick up and read over and over again.

Okay, your turn!  What’s your all-time favorite book????  Comment and tell me!

If you blogged, link up below!  Next month, we’re hosting Let’s Look a bit early on MARCH 5TH!!  The topic is Let’s Look at the people in your family!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog February 13, 2019 at 4:46 am

My all-time favourite book is probably The Giver! I remember being forced to read it for English Literature in middle school… now I realise why – it’s a really good (and philosophical) book! 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick February 13, 2019 at 2:21 pm

I’m on board with The Giver too, Charmaine! 🙂 One of my favorite books ever. The movie was really good too!
      That Inspired Chick

• Reply Carly February 13, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Oh goodness! I LOVE The Giver! I loved it when I read it in 7th grade, I loved it when I got to teach it to 7th graders, and I was giddy when my 7th grader read it this year for summer reading! It’s just so good!!

• Reply LeeAnn February 13, 2019 at 4:47 am

These posts are ALWAYS my fave! I can’t tell you how many times I refer to your book lists while I’m at the library. You take out all the guess work!!

• Reply Lia February 13, 2019 at 4:49 am

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 5:08 am

A classic!!

• Reply Ramona Greenspan February 13, 2019 at 8:05 am

Mine too.

• Reply Monica February 14, 2019 at 4:54 am

This is my favorite also. And I love all of the spin off books about the Bennett girls.

• Reply Brantlee February 13, 2019 at 4:49 am

Hard to choose just one but have you read “Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood”? It is one of my all time favorites

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 5:08 am

I’ve never read that one!!

• Reply Katie Compton February 13, 2019 at 6:24 am

Oh Shay… you must read the Ya-Yas!! It is a beautiful story of the strength of “sister friends”. It is one of my all time favorites. The movie is good too, but of course the book is better!

• Reply Stacey February 13, 2019 at 3:06 pm

You have to!

• Reply Betsy February 13, 2019 at 6:37 am

Yes! SUCH a good book!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims February 13, 2019 at 5:17 am

I have something to contribute. You need to get the Ballard Designs catalog. Sign up today.

• Reply Ashley February 13, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Yes. 100%…and Grandin Road 😉

• Reply Drew February 13, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Absolutely!! I take a marker and circle my favorites every month. It’s my favorite kind of “window shopping”!

• Reply Magee February 13, 2019 at 5:18 am

The Great Gatsby – I can read it over and over!

• Reply Caitlin Hedric February 13, 2019 at 5:20 am

I have a lot of “favorite” books, but “My Story” by Elizabeth Smart and “Where the Crawdads Sing” have both really stuck with me.

• Reply Crissy February 13, 2019 at 5:28 am

You have to read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood! There is a sequel too that is good “Little Altars Everywhere”. And this book is reeeeaaalllly old but still a great one and clean as a whistle: “Christy” by Catherine Marshall. I bet I have read that one a hundred times.

• Reply Julie February 13, 2019 at 5:28 am

Serena & Lily Catalog! love it!

• Reply Angel Varney February 13, 2019 at 5:29 am

I hardly ever comment but I have to share this today- have you read The Masterpiece by Francine Rivers?! It’s a newer one of hers sonall those people telling you to read redeeming love should be recommending this one soon too:)

• Reply Rachel Betts February 13, 2019 at 5:30 am

So hard to pick just one, but I would say A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I’ll be coming back to these comments throughout the day to find out everyone else’s favorites…

• Reply Julianna February 13, 2019 at 5:32 am

The Nightengale by Kristin Hannah. That story just sticks with me!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 5:37 am

That’s a really good one!!!

• Reply Marianne February 13, 2019 at 5:33 am

The Prince of Tides- an oldie but it is SOOOO good!

• Reply Marianne February 13, 2019 at 5:34 am

The Prince of Tides!

• Reply Kelli February 13, 2019 at 5:35 am

Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson….not your typical James Patterson at all!! I am also very nostalgic and LOVE the little house books ❤️

• Reply Carrie February 13, 2019 at 10:03 am

Ahhhh….Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas was sooo good. I read it in a day.

• Reply Melinda February 13, 2019 at 5:39 am

The Zion Covenant by Bodie Thoene. It’s actually a whole series. I named my oldest daughter after one of the main characters!

• Reply Natalie February 13, 2019 at 5:41 am

I still think Francine Rivers best book is Mark of the Lion, A Voice in the Wind. 🙂

• Reply Amy February 13, 2019 at 7:34 am

Yes! Me too! I honestly didn’t love Redeeming Love

• Reply Dawn February 13, 2019 at 9:12 am

I love the entire Mark of the Lion series

• Reply Robin February 13, 2019 at 9:22 am

Yes! Slow to start, but the best books I’ve ever read.

• Reply Elisabeth Hogue February 13, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Agreed! Mark of the Lion Series is fantastic! My other favorite is The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

• Reply Nora February 13, 2019 at 5:41 am

Firefly Lane is my favorite book of all time!! First book that I was in tears at the end. Shortly after it was The nightingale. I wanted to hug my best friend and recommended this book to everyone as knew.

• Reply Elspeth Mizner February 13, 2019 at 5:44 am

Favorite book of all time would be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen!!!

• Reply Susan February 13, 2019 at 5:49 am

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is my all time favorite. Followed by A Time Travelers Wife.

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt February 13, 2019 at 5:51 am

I loved today’s prompt!! I read Redeeming Love in high school along with every other high school girl haha! It’s so good!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Narci February 13, 2019 at 5:52 am

Such a fun link up today! I can read Pride and Prejudice over and over again and never get tired of it! Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett are just pure gold! 🙂

• Reply Jenn February 13, 2019 at 5:53 am

The Last Lecture,I recommend it to everyone!

• Reply Liz Thorson February 13, 2019 at 10:25 am

I absolutely adored this book. It is beautifully written and heartbreaking but so incredible. I really need to think about my favorite book. I’m 68 and have read so many wonderful books in my lifetime and have belonged to a book club for 21 years, too!

• Reply Richelle Stirling February 13, 2019 at 11:59 am

Same!!

• Reply Shsron February 13, 2019 at 5:53 am

Gone With The Wind.

• Reply Laura February 13, 2019 at 8:32 am

Yes! Gone with the Wind is my very favorite, too. Also, The Prince of Tides, Where the Crawdads Sing and Roses by Leila Meacham. Can you tell I’m from the South?

• Reply Amber Webb February 13, 2019 at 5:55 am

My favorites are Somerset and Roses be Leila Meacham. I could read them over and over again.

• Reply Hollie M February 13, 2019 at 6:05 am

The Great Gatsby will be my favorite forever but I also really loved the Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.

• Reply Samantha Harris February 13, 2019 at 6:07 am

Just wanted to say your blog is a bright spot in my day! I have had a crummy week with 2 sick kids and a death in the family. Pulling up your blog and seeing you were talking about BOOKS (my favorite) put a big smile on my face! Happy Wednesday!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 6:40 am

OH my goodness!! Thank you so much!!!

• Reply Kristin February 13, 2019 at 6:11 am

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I read it years ago when it was named an Oprah favorite. It’s amazing!

• Reply Tracie February 13, 2019 at 8:05 am

Love this series!

• Reply Mary February 13, 2019 at 6:15 am

My favorite book is The Quiet Game by Greg Iles!

• Reply Anna Potter February 13, 2019 at 6:20 am

In Order to Live by yeonmi Park. It’s about a girls journey to escape North Korea. It will change you forever!

• Reply Kelley Ross February 14, 2019 at 8:59 am

The Girl with Seven Names is also about a girl who escapes North Korea. I need to pick up In Order to Live.

• Reply Amlakar February 13, 2019 at 6:23 am

The Shack by William P. Young

• Reply Beth Miller February 13, 2019 at 6:24 am

The Kitchen House!!!! Hands-down my most recommended and favorite book!

• Reply Kristen Thompson February 13, 2019 at 6:25 am

This sounds crazy but since I was 8 years old I’ve read “Otherwise Known as Shelia the Great” by Judy Blume every year! Haha it was my favorite as a kid and it just brings me back to the silly summer days of childhood!

• Reply Karen Stoltenberg February 13, 2019 at 6:25 am

Ken Follett’s “The Pillars of the Earth” has to be my all time favorite.

• Reply Katie Compton February 13, 2019 at 6:28 am

So many favorites but like I posted above “Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood” is one fave. Also “The Help”. That one stuck with me for so long! I also have recently loved “The Great Alone” and “Where the Crawdads Sing”. Thank you for all your wonderful recommendations!! I add them to my Amazon shopping list each month!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 6:39 am

I loved The Help!!

• Reply Alicia February 13, 2019 at 6:31 am

Currently my favorite is Where the Crawdads Sing. Gosh, I loved that book! I also love One True Loves. You always pick good ones! Thank you!!

• Reply Lynn February 13, 2019 at 6:35 am

Tie between The Great Alone and The Nightengale! Guess I really like Kristin Hannah! Working my way through your list now! Your monthly book post is one of my fav!!

• Reply Misty February 13, 2019 at 6:38 am

Anne of Green Gables b/c of the memories created while reading it to my 2 oldest daughters (9 & 5). Stalking these comments ;). Your book posts are my favorite!

• Reply Misty February 13, 2019 at 8:07 am

Oh my gosh, I almost forgot to put The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom ❤️

• Reply Betsy February 13, 2019 at 6:39 am

Shay…you totally need to read The Divine Secrets Of The YaYa Sisterhood! I agree with a few of your other readers that you would love it! ❤️

• Reply Renn February 13, 2019 at 6:44 am

Same kind of different as me is probably the book that has just stuck with me the longest.

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams February 13, 2019 at 6:47 am

It’s so hard to pick! I have to say Harry Potter since I just LOVED them when I was younger and still do. Another one I could read over and over is My Year with Eleanor or The Alchemist!

• Reply Julie February 13, 2019 at 6:54 am

Girl with Pearl Earrings. It’s old, but such a great story

• Reply Rachael February 13, 2019 at 6:55 am

The Thornbirds, hands down!

• Reply Tammy Calhoun February 14, 2019 at 5:25 am

Oh yes! Good oldie but goodie!!

• Reply Susan February 13, 2019 at 6:57 am

The Red Tent – Anita Diamant . So good!

• Reply Carla February 13, 2019 at 8:29 pm

The Red Tent is one of my all time favorites too!

• Reply Amy Heinl February 13, 2019 at 6:59 am

The Nughtengale by Kristin Hannah

• Reply Erika Slaughter February 13, 2019 at 7:03 am

I’m laughing because I had Redeeming Love in my post too and deleted it. That book was SO good! It sounds like I need to try some of her others. And Sheaffer’s comment made me laugh out loud!

• Reply Kristin February 13, 2019 at 7:04 am

I love The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy. Read it in high school and have recommended it ever since.

Other favorites are ones that I can’t stop thinking about when I put the book down….The Nightingale, The Glass Castle, and most recently Michelle Obama’s Becoming.

• Reply Gardner Story February 13, 2019 at 7:04 am

The Cottage is a great magazine– so delightful. 🙂 My all time favorite books are Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables, and Surprised by Oxford. SO good.

• Reply Jill Koch February 13, 2019 at 7:09 am

Love this post! I linked up and shared some of my favorites but for a sneak preview, The Battlefield of the Mind is at the top of my list!
    Jill – https://jillcomesclean.com/

• Reply Susan Crivella February 13, 2019 at 7:09 am

Could never pick one
    All the Light We Cannot See
    Nightengale
    Where the Crawdads Sing
    The Great Alone
    Swear on This Life
    (When you wrote about Crawdads and Swear on this Life I sent the titles to my husband and he got them for me for Christmas!)

• Reply kathy olson February 13, 2019 at 7:12 am

A little old school, but To Kill a Mockingbird. I don’t know if you have ever read it?

• Reply Abbie February 13, 2019 at 7:18 am

Probably Gone Girl, it’s one that sticks out for me because I never wanted to set it down.
    Also another one of my favorites is Between Shades of Gray- by Ruta Sepetys She writes historical fiction and they are sooo good! Reminds me a lot of The Nightingale. You should read all of her novels! Love them all.

• Reply nancyt February 13, 2019 at 7:18 am

The Poison Wood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite books – I recommend it to everyone! I wanted to read every book in the bibliography.

• Reply Judy Pfretzschner February 13, 2019 at 7:23 am

The Baker’s Secret by Stephen P. Kiernan is one of my favorites. I love your favorites and always write them down so I won’t forget to get them for Kindle from the library. Usually I’m on a wait list but they are worth it!

• Reply Katie Compton February 13, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I was always writing them down too… until I discovered I could click on Shay’s links and then add them to my Shopping List in Amazon!! You can access your list from your Kindle or Amazon and purchase from there. Just a tip! I love that I always have a great list ready to go!

• Reply Shawna February 13, 2019 at 7:24 am

I love when you talk books! (And really everything else too 😄) One of my favorites is Special Topics in Calamity Physics (it is not a textbook-it’s fiction). This was probably 10 years ago but it was the first book I read that broke me out of my reading rut (books by only authors I knew-James Patterson, John Grisham, Patricia Cornwall). I realized there was so much more in the reading world out there. 😂 I should read it again and see if I still like it!

• Reply Tiffany February 13, 2019 at 7:26 am

“The Power of One”, “The Book Thief”, and “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” are my all time faves!

PS- I love your monthly book reviews.

• Reply Marissa February 13, 2019 at 7:31 am

My 2 favorite books are The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom about her time in a Nazi Concentration Camp for hiding Jews and To Kill A Mockingbird.

• Reply Daniele February 13, 2019 at 7:32 am

The rent collector by Cameron Wright

• Reply Lacey Nix February 13, 2019 at 7:33 am

So hard for me to pick an all-time favorite
    because they all take me to a different place which is just what I need at that time! Anything Kristin Hannah has been my go to lately…I did recently read “It Ends With Us” Colleen Hoover per your recommendation and Oh. My. Goodness. So good!

• Reply Amy February 13, 2019 at 7:36 am

I have so many favorites, my most recent being Beneath a Scarlet Sky.

• Reply Chelle February 13, 2019 at 7:40 am

All-time favorite: To Kill a Mockingbird, followed closely by The Time Traveler’s Wife.

• Reply Brandy February 13, 2019 at 7:45 am

11/22/63 by Stephen King is my all time fave! It’s definitely not his typical book but it has a lot of mystery, some romance, and some historical fiction. I’ve read it 3x!

• Reply Natalie Alvarado February 13, 2019 at 7:47 am

Gone With The Wind

• Reply Rachel February 13, 2019 at 7:48 am

Any posts about books just make me happy! Books are such a great escape from the real world 🙂 Where the Crawdads Sing has really stuck with me! I think it may be bc I love the marshes of FL (where I’m from) so much and feel at peace in nature so this book really hit home for me. I still need to read Redeeming Love!

• Reply Alison February 13, 2019 at 7:56 am

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

• Reply Carly February 13, 2019 at 7:58 am

Ballard Designs Catalog- it’s hands down always the best in décor for me.

• Reply Gentry February 13, 2019 at 8:00 am

All time favorite is either Gone with the Wind or anything by Emily Giffin! I can read those over and over! And “It ends with Us” is a new all time favorite!!

• Reply Sarah February 13, 2019 at 8:02 am

I LOVE your book posts so much Shay! My all time favorites are Memoirs of a Geisha and House of Sand and Fog! Recently -All the Light We Cannot See and Lily and the Octopus was so good too!

• Reply Ashleigh February 13, 2019 at 8:03 am

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

• Reply cheriese February 13, 2019 at 8:07 am

Gone With The Wind. Hands down.

• Reply Meagan Ruse February 13, 2019 at 8:08 am

Can we still be friends if I told you that I’ve never seen Bridget Jones’ Diary????

• Reply Becky February 13, 2019 at 8:10 am

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Beautifully haunting prose

• Reply julie February 13, 2019 at 8:16 am

I have to say ‘Cutting for Stone’ is an all-time favorite. Just so beautifully written!

• Reply Jenna Lathrop February 13, 2019 at 8:17 am

I love this list of favorites. I am always trying to squeeze in reading throughout my day. I have never read Bridget Jones Diaries…I need to get on that!

• Reply Mallory February 13, 2019 at 8:18 am

My all-time favorite is…Redeeming Love. 😂 No joke, though, that really is it.

• Reply Kristen Pasco February 13, 2019 at 8:19 am

I know youve mentioned these on your blog in the past but can you please remind me of your favorite book on adoption as well as your favorite book on all the French-y stuff? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 11:19 am

Ahhh!! Yes!!! I should have included that too!! Duh!! Okay, Forever Mom by Mary Ostyn and I love all of those French books by so many others…um, Jamie Cat Callan is one of my faves!

• Reply Lisa Foley February 13, 2019 at 8:20 am

“The Great Gatsby”! I literally read it once a year and am sad once I have finished it (again)~

• Reply Angie G February 13, 2019 at 8:22 am

Me Before You.

One of the hardest books I’ve ever read, but has made me think so often that my opinion or advice into other’s struggles is never needed, only my support and asking how I can help. You really never know what it’s like to be in their shoes.

• Reply Natalie Lozano February 13, 2019 at 8:23 am

The Red Tent is an amazing book

• Reply KayLynn Stone February 13, 2019 at 8:26 am

I’ve had readers block so bad for the past year or so. Between going through a rough time and then just mindless scrolling on social media I simply just can’t focus.

I think my all time favorite book is God Save the Sweet Potato Queens by Jill Connor Browne – Funny southern humor at it best.

• Reply Sandy February 13, 2019 at 8:26 am

Do you watch the Beth Moore videos that accompany the James Bible study? They are so informative and available to rent or buy from Lifeway. She shares info that is not in the book.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 11:17 am

Yes!! I rent them off of lifeway’s site!

• Reply Brandye February 13, 2019 at 8:28 am

The TWO I can and do read over and over are The Great Gatsby and Gone With the Wind. I’ve did a lit review of Gatsby in high school, then again in college…and every now and then I just pick it up again. So. Many. Levels. (like parfait….name that movie). GWTW is also a favorite b/c my Mother’s family is from Georgia, going back to that period and beyond. It connects me to them, in good ways and bad. Plus, I love me some historical fiction.

• Reply Wendy February 13, 2019 at 8:29 am

Just finished Where the Crawdads Sing based on your list and oh my word!!!! LOVED IT!!!! On to the next book.

• Reply Christy February 13, 2019 at 8:30 am

As cliché as it is, the book I could read over and over again is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it!

• Reply Melissa February 13, 2019 at 8:30 am

You MUST read The Swan House by Elizabeth Musser…so, so, so good! I also loved The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield. Love your book posts!

• Reply Mary Jane McNeill February 13, 2019 at 1:11 pm

I just ate lunch there last month! And I need to get the sequels, too!

• Reply Deborah Spivey February 13, 2019 at 7:17 pm

Elizabeth Musser is married to my first cousin Paul. They are missionaries in France. I have read every single one of her books. They are all amazing!

• Reply Shannon February 13, 2019 at 8:31 am

Gone with the Wind!

• Reply Chrissy February 13, 2019 at 8:36 am

The Red Tent by Anita Diamont

• Reply Jacqui German February 13, 2019 at 8:37 am

I’m about to turn 30 and I have read To Kill A Mockingbird every single summer since I was 12 (and it was required summer reading) and I swear I get something different out of it each and every time. I have my same old copy – which is dog eared, highlighted, and has been soaked by an ocean wave more than once – and I absolutely love cracking it open each year 🙂

In no other particular order: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, The Help, Night Road (the best Kristin Hannah, with Great Alone as a close second) The Art of Racing in the Rain, The Giver (and companion books) Me Before You, and East of Eden.

LOVE this post!!!!

• Reply Debbie Schultz February 13, 2019 at 8:42 am

Still and forever “Gone With the Wind”, and it’s being released in theaters for it’s 80th anniversary in March!!! I have my ticket already! Four glorious hours…… 🙂

• Reply Nicole February 13, 2019 at 8:42 am

Please put the Ya-Ya series on your to read list. They are all so good. Honestly, I was surprised you hadn’t read them yet! Have a great day!

• Reply Erica E February 13, 2019 at 8:44 am

I really liked the series Chronicles of the Kings by Lynn Austin. The first book is Gods and Kings (free on kindle unlimited too). Its a great “fiction” story that really helped me keep track of what happened historically in the old testament.

• Reply Taylor February 13, 2019 at 8:45 am

Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissener will always be a favorite of mine!

• Reply Susanne February 13, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Ooh that’s one of my favorites too!

• Reply Kathy Floyd February 13, 2019 at 8:49 am

Anything by Sandra Brown. My favorite is Play Dirty. All her books take place in the surrounding areas and New Orleans. She’s a local author in Arlington.

• Reply Pat February 13, 2019 at 8:49 am

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See is wonderful. In fact, Lisa See is one of my favorite authors. She is a very interesting person to visit at book signings, literary festivals and Skype for book clubs. I do enjoy reading Mix and Match Mama. Blessings

• Reply Mandie Lloyd February 13, 2019 at 8:51 am

East of Eden by John Steinbeck!

• Reply Dana February 13, 2019 at 8:52 am

Favorite/most memorable books: Atlas Shrugged, Cutting for Stone, Boys in the Boat

Currently reading/listening to: Pillars of Earth (terrific!), My Story, Winter of the World

On the “to-read” list: Crawdads and Power of One

• Reply Keisha Dawson February 13, 2019 at 8:54 am

I just love any time you write about books! Picking a favorite is so hard, but I think Redemption by Karen Kingsbury is the one that has stuck with me for many, many years! I loved the entire Baxter family series, but this one met me in a rough time in my life, and it was just what I needed.

• Reply Tamra February 13, 2019 at 8:59 am

I read Winter Solstice by Rosamund Pilcher every December. It’s like visiting an old friend over the holidays. I have so many favorites it really hard to choose just one. I love your book posts. Thank you Shay!

• Reply Lacy Byrd February 13, 2019 at 9:00 am

I recently read The Masterpiece by Francine Rivers and it sparked my love for reading again! I loved it.

• Reply Cody February 13, 2019 at 9:02 am

Gone with the Wind and the sequel, Scarlett are my all time favorites. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah follows close behind!

• Reply Tracey Shepherd February 13, 2019 at 9:06 am

Bible studies by Jen Wilkin (an author/teacher in Dallas area). My 2 favorites of hers are:
    God of Creation (verse-by-verse study on Genesis 1-11)
    Sermon on the Mount

• Reply Jenny Cole February 13, 2019 at 9:06 am

You should read The Kiss Quotient. It is rated R but the story line is so so good. I was so sad to see it end!

• Reply Anna February 13, 2019 at 9:20 am

My favorite book of all time is Necessary Lies. So good. It’s by Diane Chamberlin. And is historical fiction about a social worker that fought against sterilization in poverty populations

• Reply Amy P February 13, 2019 at 9:21 am

Ok, I definitely second “Pride & Prejudice” and the Ya-Ya’s! Some of my all-time faves. Trying to pick Just One though, is like trying to pick a favorite child 👀
    But! Mine would have to be “Outlander”, Diana Gabaldon. 😍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍🏼

• Reply Karen February 13, 2019 at 9:25 am

Hard to pick just one, but… Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier and the Lord of the Rings series by Tolkien.

• Reply Carly February 13, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Rebecca was the first book I’d ever read that made me realize I could be reading a book wrong the entire time! When I got to Chapter 19, it rocked my world (I was a senior in HS)! It is SO, SO good and it changed my reading life forever!

• Reply Chrissy February 13, 2019 at 9:27 am

HARRY POTTER is hands down my favorite of all time. I’ve been reading the series since I was in elementary school when the first book came out. I’ve read them through at least 10 times. If Kensington and Smith haven’t started them, they totally should!!

• Reply Sarah M. February 13, 2019 at 9:31 am

Gone with the Wind

• Reply Addison February 13, 2019 at 9:38 am

It’s almost impossible to choose a favorite book! My favorite author is definitely Jodi Picoult; I recently read Small Great Things by her and it was amazing. I read 6 of her books in 2018. My most recent read was The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and I LOVED it!

• Reply Alissa I Bayuk February 13, 2019 at 9:40 am

My all time favorite was P.S. I love you by Cecilia Ahern – that and Love, Rosie (also by Cecilia Ahern) were two of my favorites! (I haven’t really liked any of her other ones but those two are still my favorite!

• Reply Janelle February 13, 2019 at 9:41 am

I love your blog! And your book posts are my favorite!! My all time favorite is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin (we even named our first daughter Darcy!). My current favorite is Where the crawdads song. Per your recommendation!😉

• Reply Tiff February 13, 2019 at 9:43 am

I can’t pick between Anne of Green Gables or The Poisonwood Bible. Both are amazing!

• Reply Katy February 13, 2019 at 9:45 am

All of Sarah Jio’s books! They’re romance/mystery and very quick reads! Love them!

• Reply Susanne February 13, 2019 at 9:24 pm

I love Sarah Jio! I think there’s a lot of historical fiction in there too. I think The Bungalow was my very favorite! But I loved Goodnight June & Morning Glory too!

• Reply Susy February 13, 2019 at 9:53 am

Magazines: Afar; Travel and Leisure; Conde Nast Traveler; National Geographic Traveler
    Love some travel inspiration on the newest and the unknown! I only subscribe on T&L but I read the others on Flip!

• Reply Becky February 13, 2019 at 9:54 am

It is hard to pick a favorite, but for mine I agree with Kelli’s comment above. I loved “Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas” by James Patterson. So sweet and it made me cry in public when I was finishing it.

But Shay, I can’t believe you didn’t have “For the Right Reasons” by Sean Lowe in your list of faves.
    😉

• Reply Bethany February 13, 2019 at 9:55 am

One of my all time favorites is The Color Purple

• Reply Anna S February 13, 2019 at 9:56 am

Most recent love is Becoming by Michelle Obama. Her story is enlightening and empowering.

• Reply Rebecca LeFave February 13, 2019 at 9:57 am

I honestly do not understand why everyone loves Redeeming Love. It just made me feel sad and icky all over. I get it that it is about the book of Hosea, but entertainment value…not a favorite.

• Reply Rachel February 13, 2019 at 9:57 am

Classic favorite is Anne of Green Gables. More recent favorite is The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

• Reply Susanne February 13, 2019 at 9:18 pm

Winter Garden is my favorite book too! I personally think it’s better than The Nightingale. I always recommend it and buy multiple copies to loan out!

• Reply Rachel February 15, 2019 at 10:44 pm

They are both such excellent books. I find that I really enjoy Kristin Hannah books. But i have personal ties to some of the settings in Winter Garden, and the fairy tale aspect of the book seems to set it apart from other historical fiction books for me.

• Reply Celeste Clark February 13, 2019 at 9:59 am

Have you read Left to Tell: by Ilibagiza-Immaculee? This is the book that I think about the most and the message of hope and forgiveness changed the way that I deal with situations and people in my life.

• Reply Misty February 13, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Such a beautiful story of hope from pure evil. Left to Tell has stuck with me as well.

• Reply Mimi February 13, 2019 at 10:02 am

Tuesday Mornings with Morrie!

• Reply Allena February 13, 2019 at 10:07 am

Gone With the Wind, The Lonesome Dove series, Harry Potter series, Outlander series, and The Power of One are my top 5. And yes, I consider an entire series as only taking 1 spot ha.

• Reply Erin February 13, 2019 at 10:28 am

Just finished It Ends With Us—definitely a new fave!!

• Reply Kris February 13, 2019 at 10:34 am

I don’t know that I could pick a favorite book- there are just too many to pick only one. Are you aware of the Texture app? It charges a low monthly fee but gives you access to a bunch of magazines digitally. You might even be able to read them on your Kindle. It does take a little getting used to not “paging” through the physical magazine but you can read any they offer and you can access back issues too. Plus, no clutter!

• Reply Mary February 13, 2019 at 10:35 am

A favorite for me is the entire Mitford series by Jan Karon. Just so good and leaves you with a full heart.

• Reply Elizabeth February 13, 2019 at 10:40 am

Just finished Before We Were Yours, difficult topic, but excellent story.

• Reply Ann February 13, 2019 at 8:25 pm

I agree! It was hard to put down and I had to look into the historical details as I was reading. Compelling.

• Reply Jill February 13, 2019 at 10:42 am

Another Redeeming Love fan over here! Tied for first place is also One True Loves. I read that in one sitting and recommend it all the time. You and I seem to have very similar book styles, so I love these posts!

• Reply Jessica February 13, 2019 at 10:45 am

Beneath a marble sky… a novel about the building of the taj mahal. One of the most beautiful books I’ve ever read. I read it so long ago, I think I’m going to go read it again!

• Reply Caroline Klobas February 13, 2019 at 10:53 am

Favorite non-fictions: “Columbine” by Dave Cullen (super heavy subject matter, one of the most well written pieces of work in existence) and “Flyboys” by James Bradley

Favorite fictions: “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein and “The Great Alone” by Kristin Hannah (kind of historical fiction but not really)

Favorite historical fictions: “The Kitchen House” by Kathleen Grissom and “Lilac Girls” by Martha Hall Kelly (prequel is out in April!)

I could talk books all day long!

• Reply Heidi February 14, 2019 at 6:44 pm

I second your recommendation of Columbine by Dave Cullen! I have been a high school teacher for 25 years, so that book hits especially hard with me. But I have NEVER read anything like it, and it’s the kind of book that just STAYS with you forever.

• Reply Lauren Barnett February 13, 2019 at 11:03 am

My all time favorite is “Redeeming Love,” but right now I’m reading “The Last Mrs. Parrish” and “My Oxford Year” and loving both! OH I also loved “The Antelope in the Living Room” by Melanie Shankle!

• Reply Julie February 13, 2019 at 11:05 am

My one book recommendation is for any parents that have an introverted child. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain is a must read. I wish my parents could have read this book when I was a child. They would have had such a better understanding of me not just as a child but throughout my life. And if you are an introverted adult, you should read it to learn more about yourself. It explains not just personality traits but physical traits as well. I was unaware that the way I reacted to things physically was related to being an introvert, but after reading this, it makes perfect sense. I understand myself and my reactions so much better now.

• Reply Susanne February 13, 2019 at 9:11 pm

I have this in my to be read stack! Glad to hear it’s so good.

• Reply Kim February 13, 2019 at 11:11 am

So very hard to pick a favorite since reading is one of my favorite things. One that I wish people would read is How Now Shall We Live by Charles Colton. Like you, I had way too many magazine subscriptions. It was hard to keep up. I found out that I could get many of the ones I like digitally for free through my library account. It may be worth checking out 🙂

• Reply Sandi February 13, 2019 at 11:20 am

I’m currently reading it’s not supposed to be this way by Lysa Terkeurst….What a beautiful study and my favorite magazine right now is Magnolia by Joanna Gaines love the photography and the articles

• Reply Julie Harris February 13, 2019 at 11:28 am

Favorite book from my childhood: Where the Red Fern Grows. I am afraid to read it again because it is just so sad.
    Favorite book from adulthood: A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. Tough subject matter and terribly sad, but SO VERY GOOD. It stuck with me for weeks afterward, and when people ask me for a book recommendation, it’s the very first one I recommend time and time again.

• Reply Arika February 13, 2019 at 11:40 am

To Kill a Mockingbird

• Reply Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World February 13, 2019 at 11:51 am

My top five are probably:
    Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (I’ve read it at least a dozen times)
    The Prince of Tides
    Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas
    Something Borrowed
    The Notebook
    You can’t go wrong with any of them and there’s a little bit of everything there!

• Reply Maggie February 13, 2019 at 11:57 am

Favorite book ever?? I can’t decide! Based on your suggestions, I’m reading Little Fires Everywhere right now and loving it!

Have you ever put together a list of your favorite “little kids books” that you love? Or, do Ashby & Madely have some favorites? I’m always looking to update my little one’s bookshelf!

• Reply Erin February 13, 2019 at 11:58 am

I have so many favorite books. The book that made me love reading was Matilda by Roald Dahl. My other all time favorites are The Help, The Goldfinch, East of Eden, 11/22/63, Behold the Dreamers, and Sarah’s Key. Then there are my favorite series – Harry Potter, The Discovery of Witches Series, The Dublin Murder Squad, and the Flavia DeLuce series.

Also, I agree with everyone who said Ya-Yas is a must read. The sequel is pretty great too.

• Reply Kim February 13, 2019 at 12:05 pm

The Glass Castle was a favorite – that I still just can not forget! I loved -Wild. Emily Giffin and Elin Hildebrand, too. Currently reading -The Last Mrs. Parrish – really easy to read – enjoying so far!!! Can’t wait to read – Educated!

Magazines: I love People and US Weekly (Sad….I know) and Entertainment Weekly – in all of these, the books recommended – is my favorite part!

• Reply Sarah February 13, 2019 at 12:14 pm

You have 4 kids, a career, 5 monthly magazine subscriptions, a blog with comments, daily Bible reading, and still read 5ish books a month. Help! I need more information on how this is possible! I want to read more!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Well, I don’t read all the time, but I do try and read a little several times a day. I wake up and read my devotionals/Bible studies first thing and then catch pockets of time during the day to read. Then, I read a lot at night. Last night, I read for over an hour (too long, I should have gone to sleep!). Today, I’ll read for an hour at the girls’ dance lesson…just pockets of time.

• Reply Sheila February 13, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Very hard to narrow down to one but if I had to I would say (I only saw one other mention of it on here) Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

• Reply Stacy G. February 13, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain is one that has stuck with me for years. I’ve mentioned it to you before and would love your thoughts on it. I think it’s been long enough I want to read it again. Glass Castle as mentioned above has also stayed with me.

• Reply Becky Carl February 13, 2019 at 12:36 pm

The Noticer by Andy Andrews. In fact all of his books are the best…The Travelers Gift! You will love them!

• Reply Nanette Ryan February 13, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Someone else mentioned the Mitford series by Jan Karon and those are my favorite books of all time. The characters are endearing and it makes you want to live in their quaint little mountain town in NC. Another favorite author of historical fiction is Eugenia Price. She has three series set in St. Simon’s Island, GA, Savannah, GA and the northern part of GA. All are great reads.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 13, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Yes!! I’ve read those too!!

• Reply Alicia Black February 13, 2019 at 1:11 pm

My favorite book is probably The Scarlet Pimpernel. I first read it in high school and fell in love with it.

• Reply Colleen T February 13, 2019 at 1:26 pm

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (then the follow-up World Without End ) or the Century Trilogy (Fall of Giants, Winter of the World, The Column of Fire) by Follett as well. Favorite book series ever. You MUST read these. If you like Game of Thrones as all (these are less violent/sex) or books that have amazing character development, you will LOVE that series. Favorite book in last few years…The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

• Reply Michelle Gray February 13, 2019 at 1:52 pm

I read it years ago and it still sticks with me, The Posionwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Amazing!!

• Reply Jen February 13, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Great lists and I liked that you included other forms of reading material. I always think I should subscribe to a magazine since 2 issues at the store is usually the same cost as a yearly subscription. However I am trying to avoid clutter so working to keep things like that to a minimum. Also why I like my Kindle so much.

My favorite book ever is The Goldfinch.

• Reply Shirley February 13, 2019 at 2:24 pm

I love true stories so Thunder Dog is my favorite book. It’s the story of a blind man & his guide dog, who on 9/11, had to escape the Twin Towers safely. It is phenomenal! I can’t recommend it highly enough!

• Reply erin February 13, 2019 at 2:37 pm

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

• Reply Mother of 3 February 13, 2019 at 2:39 pm

It Ends With Us and The Great Alone were two of my favorite novels too! Thanks so much for hosting this fun link up each month.

• Reply Kelley B February 13, 2019 at 2:47 pm

The Kitchen House is also my favorite. It has stuck with me for years.

• Reply Laurel M February 13, 2019 at 2:52 pm

I can never pick a favorite anything! Movie, candy, book, color. It’s too hard haha. I love my two magazine subscriptions, Seattle Met and Real Simple! I have a feeling I’m going to love the comments section today, I’ll be fishing for new suggestions!

• Reply Lauren February 13, 2019 at 2:55 pm

My favorites are Rage of Angels by Sidney Sheldon and The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

• Reply Chelsea Ashbrook February 13, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Outlander (the entire series but if I had to pick just one I’d pick the first :))

• Reply Bridget February 13, 2019 at 3:04 pm

April Fools Day- Bryce Courtney and Catcher in the Rye- J.D Salinger

• Reply Rachel LaPointe February 13, 2019 at 3:09 pm

All seven Harry Potter books – I have re-read them many times and get something new out of them even as an adult. The Time Traveler’s Wife is another one I can read over and over again. Also, Outlander, book 1 was so good I’ve been afraid to read any more in the series because I loved the first book so much.

• Reply Maria Zandri February 13, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Beach Music by Pat Conroy. Followed closely by The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.

• Reply Liz February 13, 2019 at 3:39 pm

I can always re-read the entire Harry Potter series. It’s my absolute favourite series of all time and it never fails to make me happy!

• Reply Erin Port February 13, 2019 at 3:57 pm

I agree with everyone else, Redeeming Love is so so good!

• Reply ValeriekW February 13, 2019 at 4:20 pm

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Such a great book. And I second (or millionth) the vote that you HAVE to read The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood!! You will love it – and the movie is pretty good too.

• Reply Susan February 13, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Lonesome Dove. My labs are named Gus and Woodrow. I’ve read it at least 6 times. Gone With The Wind and To Kill A Mockingbird are tied for my second favorite

• Reply Jen February 14, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Add in The Kitchen House and these are my favorites too!

• Reply Carly February 13, 2019 at 4:50 pm

To Kill A Mockingbird— always and forever and ever!!

But my reading teacher heart needs to add Harry Potter because they are SO, SO excellent!

• Reply Beth February 13, 2019 at 5:13 pm

So hard to choose just one book! How about authors instead 🙂 Rex Stout wrote the best crime series about Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. Agatha Christie had such insight into human frailties and was so subtle I think people just think of her as cozy mystery, but she was not. Tolkien wrote the BEST fantasy with The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. C.S. Lewis wrote fantastic commentary on being a christian–The Great Divorce is incredible(it’s not about divorce as in marriage.)

• Reply Debbie Dunbar February 13, 2019 at 5:26 pm

Goodness. I am an avid reader and have so many favorites. One that I have never forgotten was On Every Side by Karen Kingsbury. I have read all of her books but that one was such an eye opener. I also just finished listening to the Sisters First by the Bush sisters. Listening to their story from their own voices was so good. The book was unforgettable too! I love all of your book posts too!

• Reply Marla February 13, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Hands down for me would be 1) my Bible 2) The One Year Bible 3) The MacArthur Study Bible and 4) Jesus Calling. There’s so many books that I have loved reading it’s impossible to choose but some favorites are Snowflower and the Secret Fan, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, The Time Travelers Wife and Tuesday Mornings with Morrie. I think Quiet: The Power of Introverts In a World That Can’t Quit Talking is an excellent book that should be required reading for all educators and one that anyone could benefit from.
    Favorite magazines:
    HGTV FOOD NETWORK
    TASTE OF HOME
    GOOD HOUSEKEEPING

• Reply Dana Jackson February 13, 2019 at 6:11 pm

So so hard to pick one fave book!! I truly loved the Mitford series books by Jan Karon, sweet, funny and made my heart happy! I loved The Help, My Husband’s Secret and most recently Before We Were Yours…difficult topic but such a great read and so haunting!! Love reading to comments with all the faves!!

• Reply Mary February 13, 2019 at 6:26 pm

I just went to Amazon to buy Devine Secrets of the Yaya Sisterhood and saw it’s a Kindle Read for Free with Prime!

• Reply Janet February 13, 2019 at 7:10 pm

I love magazines as well. I now subscribe to the Texture app. For $9,99 a month, I can read all kinds of magazines on my Kindle & iPad.

• Reply Brooke February 13, 2019 at 7:36 pm

The Promise of Stardust- where a husband who’s also a physician must navigate end of life decisions for his own comatose wife. The juxtaposition between head and heart decisions made this book a stand out. Also: The End Of Normal by Stephanie Madoff Mack, Bernie Madoff’s daughter in law.

• Reply Diane February 13, 2019 at 7:39 pm

“Water From my Heart” by Charles Martin!!! And second “Vanishing Act” by Thomas Perry!

• Reply April February 13, 2019 at 7:50 pm

I had to read the red tent for a women’s study class in college and since then I’ve probably re-read it 2-3 times and have lent it out to my mom and aunt who also loved it. I don’t usually pick up the biblical books and this had me hooked. Also a huge Beatriz Williams fan

• Reply Rachel February 13, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Ok, so I’ve never read Redeeming Love or Bridget Jones’ Diary! But, I’ve got Where the Crawdads Sing next to me on the couch, just waiting to start reading soon. My all-time favorite book is The Outsiders by SE Hinton. I’ve probably read it at least 15-20 times! And To Kill a Mockingbird is second.

• Reply Allice February 13, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Read Frankenstein. Its a classic.

• Reply Betsy February 13, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Jodi Piccoult’s “My Sister’s Keeper” started my love of her books. Was just disappointed by her for the first time ever with her latest. :(. Loved “Firefly Lane” also. Devoured those pages in a day and a half. As a high school English teacher though, “A Farewell to Arms” will always remain one of my favorites. Have really appreciated your reviews for some excellent recommendations!

• Reply Maria February 13, 2019 at 8:42 pm

Have you read “The Adults” by Caroline Hulse? The author is British. It’s about a couple who divorce then go on vacation together with their new spouses to be with their one shared child. It’s very very funny. You would like it!

• Reply Samantha Bahr February 13, 2019 at 9:04 pm

If you loved redeeming love you should add “the masterpiece” by Francine rivers to your monthly books to read. I read it over Christmas and could not put it down!!!!

• Reply Lisa D February 13, 2019 at 9:52 pm

Favorites: The Thorn Birds, 7 by Jen Hatmaker, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, and all of Kate Morton’s books.

• Reply CampDallas February 13, 2019 at 9:52 pm

Tuesdays With Morrie! It’s the only book I’ve ever read multiple times. Absolutely love it!

• Reply Molly February 14, 2019 at 12:20 am

This goes with yesterday’s post as well, but I just discovered that there are MANY free magazines on Amazon Prime, such as Real Simple, Bon Appetit, Martha Stewart Living…and so many more! Check it out!

• Reply Laura E Fredlund February 14, 2019 at 5:33 am

Edenbrooke! . So hard to choose just one, but for now Edenbrooke is my favorite

• Reply Carmen February 14, 2019 at 5:44 am

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom is a must! It starts a little slow but is such an amazing book that will challenge you to a deeper walk. Also you can go visit the house in The Netherlands. It’s in Haarlem about 20 minutes from Amsterdam. It’s amazing to go and definitely worth it!

• Reply Tammy Calhoun February 14, 2019 at 5:49 am

My favorite as a kid was, Are you there God, it’s me Margaret. Then I loved, The Thornbirds and The Other Side of Midnight. More recently some of my favorites are, Between Shades Of Gray by Rita Sepetys, Me Before You, Orphan Train, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, My Oxford Year, The Great Alone. So many great books, so little time!! ☺️

• Reply Leah Reinemund February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am

To Kill a Mockingbird is still my all time fave!! My fave recent read is It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way by Lysa Terkeurst!

• Reply Leslie S February 14, 2019 at 9:48 am

My all time favs are Jane Eyre as well as 2 by Catherine Marshall – Christy and Julie. Have read these every year since I was 13. Can’t wait til my girls are old enough to read them too!
    Also, Shay, you should read Audrey Bunny by Angie Smith with your kids. It’s a marvelous story about being chosen and loved.

• Reply Patrice Bennett February 14, 2019 at 12:30 pm

All time favorites are Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.
    You MUST MUST check out Dennis Prager’s The Rational Bible. He goes verse by verse through the book. Last year Exodus came out and Genesis comes out soon. It will truly be life changing. Best Bible commentary ever!!!
    Happy Valentines Day!! I love you and your blog. you amaze and inspire me every day. XOXO

• Reply Lauren February 14, 2019 at 1:50 pm

All the way home by Ann Tatlock… I read that book at least 10 years ago and it’s still stuck with me!

• Reply Emily February 15, 2019 at 4:15 am

I have read “Love, Rosie” by Cecelia Aherb multiple times and always love it! It is written entirely in letters, texts, cards, IMs, etc. l live that difference format, and unrequited love is a favorite theme of mine.

• Reply julie February 15, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
    Wait Till Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin
    Lazy B by Sandra Day O’connor
    When Character was King by Peggy Noonan
    Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough
    I rarely like the books that are “in” so these may not be your style.

• Reply Lindsey February 17, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Small Great Things by Jodi Piccoult

• Reply Amanda Wilson February 18, 2019 at 9:41 am

Outlander
    Have you read this series??
    The BEST

• Reply Pamela Kennedy February 18, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Ok, this is kind of embarrassing, but I am going to come clean. I am incredibly guilty of buying books because I love the cover. Example: A lovely lavender color with a cottage in the background, some lit lanterns, it’s dusk, and there could be a lake, possibly an Adirondack chair, and more than likely…fireflies. Can you feel the cozy? I can. Oh dear, I just can’t help myself.

• Reply Crystal Perry February 19, 2019 at 11:11 pm

I highly recommend the Texture App for any magazine you like. It’s $10 a month and you have digital access to almost any magazine you can imagine – even issues from past months! You can even save articles, recipes, pictures, workouts, etc. on the app. Perfect for traveling! You can download any magazine you want before your vacation and only have to travel with your iPad. You should definitely check it out!