Deck the Halls!

Happy December, friends!!

Can you believe we’re here?! Β Right this minute, I’m watching The Family Man, wearing Santa pj pants, drinking coffee and typing this post…clearly, I’m trying to cram as much “December” into my morning as humanly possible πŸ˜‰ .

Every year, I open up my front door and invite you guys in to see how we get all festive in our home. Β If you were here in person, I’d hand you a cup of coffee, you’d smell the pine candles burning and there’s a 99% chance The Carpenter’s Christmas album would be playing in the background. Β Not much changes from year to year as we decorate, but it’s always just a nice way to start the season. Β From my house to yours, wishing you the merriest first Monday in December!!

Come on in!

This year, we have Santa to greet you πŸ™‚ .

I love my mercury trees (they’re oldies from Pottery Barn)!! Β It’s hard to tell in this picture, but I put blinking lights in the trees this year because they seemed festive (hence, I caught the middle one mid-blink).

My grandfather’s grandfather clock. Β He left this to me when he died, and it’s probably my most cherished possession πŸ™‚ .

I’m not going to lie, this is the perfect spot for coffee and a good book.

I’m a traditionalist…give me all the red and green πŸ™‚ .

Hi, my name is Shay, and I have a holiday pillow obsession. Β Storing them is MUCH easier if you just buy the cover and change them out with your inserts.

I spy Santa!

Little touches of Christmas in every room.

This is where we live πŸ™‚ .

See those three ornaments right there? Β These…

…are our VERY favorite!!! Β Their kindergarten teacher makes them with them every year. Β Next year, we’ll have FOUR!

Every year, I take down what I have in here and then add their Santa pics…

All of my little signs are made my That Inspired Chick!

We are currently working our way through a puzzle…lots of little hands are trying to help. Β Ha!

I always fill this glass container with different things throughout the year: ornaments, little pumpkins, plastic eggs and our favorite, Fruit Loops!

Those are Ashby’s sweet hands on that Santa plate from when she was three. Β I love that girl SO MUCH!!

My kids’ favorite decorations are our little Snow Village houses.

I’m ready to move into that German restaurant πŸ˜‰ .

Even the pantry has a little Ho, Ho, Ho!

I also adding bits of holiday to our bedrooms too…

This is my favorite bedding all year long. Β I loooooove my cozy Christmas sheets!!

Heading up the stairs…

This year, I gave the kids their trees and let them decorate them by themselves. Β They loved it!! Β Side note: Kensington thinks shoving everything under bed is the same as cleaning. πŸ˜‰

The little girls’ room is nice and cozy too!

Ashby’s tree is at the bottom of the stairs…

…and Mades’ tree is at the top!

Smith added a few extra lights to his room…

…and had so much fun decorating his tree too!

‘Tis the season!

It doesn’t take much to make it look festive!

And last but not least, little trees on the patio too πŸ™‚ .

I wish I could have all of you over!! Β In the meantime, I hope you enjoyed our little first post in December home tour! Β Don’t forget, next Monday is the first day of FIVE DAYS OF FABULOUS!! Β You should all be reallllly excited already!!! Β I’ll see you guys back here tomorrow!! Β Happy December, friends! xo

• Reply Erik Slaughter December 2, 2019 at 4:52 am

It’s super comfy and cozy in there! Looks great! What time are you serving the coffee? I’ll be right over!

• Reply Alexis deZayas December 2, 2019 at 5:09 am

I decorated last night! Everything is just more cozy at Christmas!

• Reply Kristen December 2, 2019 at 5:18 am

Love it all! Where did you buy Smith’s desk and chair?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 2, 2019 at 7:51 am

Pottery Barn Teen!

• Reply Lisa Simpson December 2, 2019 at 9:37 am

Your home is beautiful! Where could I purchase a Santa like your new one?

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog December 2, 2019 at 5:20 am

Sooo cosy! I love how you’ve gone all out with your decorations, Shay! Meanwhile, I don’t even have a Christmas tree, haha! ❀️✨

• Reply Julie C. December 2, 2019 at 5:23 am

Your house is beautiful!!!! It is always decorated nice, but I especially love it at Christmas time. Thanks for the tour!!!

• Reply Kristen December 2, 2019 at 5:28 am

Love it all! Where did you buy Smith’s desk & chair?

• Reply Sheaffer Sims December 2, 2019 at 5:37 am

Everything looks so great! I especially love the mercury trees, the plaid ornaments, and all the pillows! I’m a little offended you didn’t include the picture of me as your tree, but whatever.
    πŸ˜‰

• Reply Carly December 2, 2019 at 5:41 am

Best post of the year! Happy December Shulls!

• Reply kasey December 2, 2019 at 6:21 am

Where are the gold trees at your fireplace from? I LOVE!

• Reply Denise December 2, 2019 at 6:22 am

Looks beautiful. Random question. Where is outdoor furniture from?

• Reply Narci December 2, 2019 at 6:40 am

Looks sooo cozy! I’ll be over with my laptop and coffee after drop off. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Vivian G December 2, 2019 at 7:27 am

This is my favorite post of the year. I love looking into your home and seeing all that coziness. I loved everything, especially your kids ornaments on the tree. That was too precious ☺️ Thanks for letting us in.

• Reply Kerrie Hofstad December 2, 2019 at 7:37 am

Shay! You have made the most beautiful, fun, happy home for your family! I love it so much. I hope y’all have the best December!

• Reply Kristi December 2, 2019 at 7:45 am

Love your house so much!! I always go to your posts for inspiration!! I want to know how you stay on track with party food, school breaks, so many vacations and yet you always seem to stay healthy, active and always look amazing. What’s your mindset? What do you do when you’re feeling bloated and off? How many days a week do you work out? Thanks so much! Just looking for tips on enjoying this season, but still feeling great doing it all!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 2, 2019 at 7:50 am

It has helped SO MUCH working out really early in the morning. When I was working out mid-morning, I could find a million excuses not to, but now, it’s really hard since it’s so early. That being said, I’m a BIG believer in seasons. If this season is too crazy for you, let it be. You can pick back up with your eating/workout routine next season. Don’t be too hard on yourself!

• Reply Rachel December 2, 2019 at 7:58 am

Your house looks amazing! So cozy and inviting! And my daughter Lily cleans her room the same way Kensington does πŸ™‚

• Reply Amanda Wilson December 2, 2019 at 8:03 am

Love these posts!! You have the coziest home!!! I hope you do a Trader Joes Christmas post soon!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 2, 2019 at 9:28 am

I went the other day and was a little overwhelmed!! Haha! I need to go back!

• Reply Courtney December 2, 2019 at 1:35 pm

Trader Joe’s has β€œJingle Jangle” that would make PERFECT Christmas gifts for teachers, neighbors and friends. I also bought some for my house. It’s dark chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered popcorn, m&m like candies, and mini Reese cups. It’s so delish! And comes in a cute little metal container. But please do another TJ post soon. I need to know what I’ missing.

Your home is beautiful, Shay!

• Reply Beth Valenta December 2, 2019 at 8:17 am

So festive! It just brings me JOY to make my house festive too. I am heading to NYC on Saturday, so I am full blown holiday mode. Mother/daughter trip!

• Reply Kelly December 2, 2019 at 8:32 am

I always enjoy a tour of the Shull home at Christmas, so festive! And I also appreciate that you ‘live there” and are not afraid to show it. Merry Christmas, Shay!

• Reply Anna Jones December 2, 2019 at 8:45 am

So beautiful and comfy, cozy!! I want to do just like you said and curl up with a book in your study!

• Reply Rose December 2, 2019 at 9:13 am

Love the little holiday touches all over. Where are the kids’ cute little trees from?

• Reply Margaret December 2, 2019 at 9:15 am

Where is a good place to buy pillow forms for all the throw pillows I’m forced (ha!) to buy?

• Reply Tracie December 2, 2019 at 9:24 am

Today only Pottery Barn has the Mercury Trees on sale. I might get some white ones to mix in with my silver ones. https://www.potterybarn.com/shop/accessories-decor/lit-decor/?cm_re=hpbanner1-_-default-_-litdecor

• Reply Kristine December 2, 2019 at 9:35 am

So cozy and Festive!! Do you have a favorite
    β€œpine” candle”? In the past I have gotten the Thymes Frasier Fir. The Bath and Body Works β€œEvergreen” plug in smells good. I have it plugged in by my fake tree.

• Reply Corbie December 2, 2019 at 10:05 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE, so beautiful and cozy! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Jenn December 2, 2019 at 10:15 am

Merry Christmas Shay!

Did you see the big Cyber Monday news?! The same packing cubes you have been lovin’ on are on sale for $11.99 per set, down from $17.99 (all colors except for blue for some reason?)! I ordered 1 set for each of the 5 of us and saved $30! I can’t wait to try them out!

On another note, our 11 year old daughter used to think that stuffing her newly washed and folded (by Mom) clothes under her bed was the same as properly putting them away. They would become so wrinkled that I would have to wash them again. She did it one too many times and has now been completely in charge of her own laundry for almost a year. She deeply regrets her actions. LOL! πŸ™‚

• Reply Mary Smith December 2, 2019 at 10:28 am

I always love getting ideas from you!
    Do you buy your garlands with the ornaments on already or do you attach them some way?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 2, 2019 at 10:46 am

I buy them and attach the ornaments and almost always, the lights too. I like to buy them without lights so that I can add/take away strands that go out.

• Reply Rhoda December 2, 2019 at 10:31 am

Looks so beautiful…..just as cosy as any hallmark Christmas movie! I look forward to your holiday annual house tours! Also took a leaf out of your book and bought my college age daughters mini xmas trees for their rooms. They loved this little surprise when they came home from college this week. Maybe I’ll surprise them with cosy xmas sheets when they return home for the holiday break!

• Reply Jordan December 2, 2019 at 10:41 am

Love everything!! And LOVE the Cavalier picture in the background πŸ˜‰ We have a 2 year old Cavalier King Charles and have a very similar painting hanging in our living room!

• Reply Kathy Lang December 2, 2019 at 11:20 am

Very cozy! I love that you have something in every room. We decorated last night after being gone all last week to celebrate with family. Now I just want to stay home and cuddle up on the couch by the fireplace with the Christmas tree lights on and read all day! Work? What work? Ha!

• Reply Kimberly December 2, 2019 at 11:33 am

How long does it take you to decorate? Do you do it over several days?
    How/where do you store all of your decorations?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 2, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Two days! We store everything in plastic bins in our attic.

• Reply Jennifer December 2, 2019 at 11:34 am

Hi Shay! Random but where did you get your Christmas napkins that are in your bathroom? I find mine at TJ Maxx but they didn’t have a whole lot to choose from this year! Thanks! Your house is so festive! πŸ™‚

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 2, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Amazon πŸ™‚

• Reply Gina December 2, 2019 at 2:12 pm

I have a question to add…did you also find the bathroom napkin holder at Amazon as well?
        Thanks

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 3, 2019 at 5:05 am

No, I don’t remember where that’s from…hmmmm…I bet you could find them on Amazon though!

• Reply Janie Smith/Reinert December 2, 2019 at 11:36 am

FABULOUS ! Merry Christmas !!

• Reply Donna December 2, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Your house is really a home, thank you so much for sharing!!! Where did you get the matching lamps on the table in your entry way? Also, the other lamps throughout the house (in the bathroom). I have such a hard time finding small lamps and good lighting.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 2, 2019 at 12:54 pm

I bought them from a store called Anderson’s which is unfortunately no longer in business.

• Reply Laci December 2, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Shay you have taught me so much about making my home cozy and festive! Love your blog and followed you for many years Merry Christmas!

• Reply Marie December 2, 2019 at 2:21 pm

So warm and inviting!! But where is your nativity to remind your kids that’s it not just about Santa?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 3, 2019 at 5:04 am

We have some! My kiddos talk about Jesus year around, so they don’t need a nativity to remind them about Jesus which is even better news! That being said, along with other ones we have, the My People one is always so played with this time of year πŸ™‚ .

• Reply Patty Anderson December 2, 2019 at 3:32 pm

I could just snuggle up in your home with a good book and some CHRISTmas music and die happy! So warm and inviting. Just lovely!

• Reply Carol W December 2, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Do you do all of the decorating yourself or do the kids like to help? Love it all!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 3, 2019 at 5:03 am

They did their trees and helped me change out their bedding, but I did the rest while they were at school.

• Reply Genevieve December 2, 2019 at 5:25 pm

Do you remember where you got the tiny lamp in your pantry? Also, the round glass bowl on your counter that you filled with Christmas ball ornaments?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 3, 2019 at 5:03 am

The glass bowl is for sure from Hobby Lobby but I don’t remember where the lamp is from.

• Reply Mother of 3 December 2, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Beautiful touches; love that grandfather clock. Only one of my boys actually wanted his tree put up in his room this year… it’s kind of sad as they get older and more and more of our traditions become obsolete.

• Reply Kim December 2, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Your style of decor is totally my jam. Thanks for the house tour!

• Reply Sara December 2, 2019 at 10:58 pm

These are my absolute favorite every year! Because of yours, we ordered the same stockings last year when we were expecting our first babe, and are now so excited to be able to use them this year! I noticed, when/why did you decide to change your stocking?!? ❀️

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 3, 2019 at 5:01 am

Awe!!!! congratulations!! I didn’t change mine, I just pulled out my original one. When Ashby came, they didn’t make mine and Kensington’s any longer, so I bought all three of us new ones. This year, I accidentally hung up my original one and thought it was still cute, so I left it.

• Reply Lara December 3, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Do you have a formal dining room? Would love to see! Maybe I’ve missed it!

• Reply Jessica December 3, 2019 at 9:02 pm

Your kiddos Christmas plates are adorable! Do you make them at home or do you go somewhere to make them? I would love to do this for my daughter who is 2.5years old, who will have her first Christmas with her family. (I adopted her from China 6 months ago)

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 4, 2019 at 4:57 am

There is a lady in the neighboring town who makes them! You go to her house and she puts the prints on there and then designs around them. Aren’t they adorable?

• Reply Annie December 4, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Beautiful decor!!!! Where do you get such tall/full/thick garland for your mantels? Or is it multiple pieces up there? They look so full and beautiful!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 4, 2019 at 2:21 pm

Only one piece! They came from The Christmas Shop in Plano TX!

• Reply Donna December 9, 2019 at 11:15 pm

Where did you get the lighted garland going up the staircase ?

• Reply Grace December 11, 2019 at 10:00 am

Your house is gorgeous- so festive and welcoming and cozy!! Thanks so much for sharing πŸ™‚

Do you have a computer area for the kids or do they borrow your laptop when needing to do any schoolwork?

Where do the kids keep their toys? Is there a separate playroom or is most everything in the bedrooms? Do you have big toys like play kitchen, trampoline, rocking horse, dollhouse, tent etc?

Thanks Shay!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 11, 2019 at 10:13 am

They use my lap top in the kitchen when they need it for school stuff (which at this point, isn’t very often at all). We used to have a big play room with toys (play kitchen, rocking horse, etc), but this last July, my kids decided to donate almost all of that stuff and turn the room into their “library” with shelves of books and craft things. The big toys they kept are in their rooms now. We do not have a trampoline but we do make tents out of blankets and pillows all the time πŸ™‚ .