Mmmmm! My Easy Sausage & Mushroom Stuffed Peppers should totally be on your menu tonight!
Now, two of my kids are big bell pepper people, the other two, pretty much just use the pepper as a vessel for their yummy sausage/mushroom mixture. Either way, these are a bright and colorful twist on a regular weeknight meal. Bonus, they’re super easy too!Print
A bright and flavorful easy weeknight supper!
- 6 to 8 large bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
- 1 pound of sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound of ground beef
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 pint of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 oz) tomato sauce
- about a cup of grated Parmesan cheese (plus a bit to garnish)
- a sprinkle of breadcrumbs for each (we use g-free)
- snipped chives to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish for 4 large bell peppers (or a 9×12 for more). Slice the tops off of each bell pepper and place them in your baking dish. Pop them in the oven for 10 minutes. After that, remove them from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown up your ground beef and sausage in a drizzle of EVOO. Once browned and crumbly, add in your sliced mushroom and chopped onion and saute until the mushrooms have browned and onions are tender. Add in a big pinch of both salt and pepper. Next, stir in your chopped garlic, tomato sauce and cheese. Let that simmer a few minutes and then remove your skillet from heat and fill each of your peppers with this mixture. Add a sprinkle more of Parm and some breadcrumbs to the tops of each one followed by a few chives, optional.
- Pop the peppers back in the oven and bake another 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve.
If you can’t get your pepper to lay flat in your baking dish, just lightly trim off the bottom until it’s stable.