Ohhhhhh…I went there!
I combined apple and cheddar with my favorite sausage balls and friends, they’re DELISH!!
Growing up, I did not understand people who ate apple pies with cheddar.
And then I tried it.
And now, I’m a convert.
It’s that slightly sweet and sharpness that just go perfectly together.
These delicious little breakfast bites are perfect with your morning cup of coffee on an autumn day. You will end up making these again and again and again.
The perfect breakfast bite for your fall mornings!
- 1 pound of breakfast sausage (I use Owen’s), uncooked
- 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I love a sharp cheddar!)
- 1¼ cups Bisquick mix (we use gluten-free)
- about 1/2 cup of grated apple (I used my cheese grater and just grated my Red Delicious apple right over the bowl)
- just the smallest pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and then spray it with cooking spray (for easy clean up). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of your ingredients with a hand mixer. Don’t over-beat, just lightly blend. Roll out the mixture into golf ball sized balls and place them on your prepared baking dish.
- Bake about 20 to 25 minutes or until browned.
- Remove and serve immediately or at room temperature.
These sausage balls freeze beautifully too. If I’m going to freeze them, I bake them first and then allow them to come to room temperature before storing them in a freezer bag. When I’m ready to enjoy one, I just pop it out and heat it in the microwave. We use a gluten-free Bisquick.