‘Tis that time of year to walk in the door after a long day and smell a hearty and delicious roast simmering away in your slow cooker. Seriously…is there any smell better? #ithinknot Right this minute, I’m sitting in Park City making my grocery list for the week when we get home and roast is certainly on the menu. It’s easy, it’s delish and it’s oh so JANUARY!
When I wanted a great roast recipe that would take no time at all to prep, who did I call? My mother-in-law…because she knows roast.
Now, my mother-in-law likes to add carrots and new potatoes the last hour or so, but we like to serve ours alongside a baked potato and a salad. Either way? Delish!
I’m telling you…you will be making this one on REPEAT!Print
My mother-in-law’s original recipe is the perfect weeknight winter recipe!
- 1 (3 to 4 pound rump roast)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper (I prefer Kosher or sea salt)
- 2 (10 oz) cans cream of mushroom soup (we use gluten-free)
- 1 packet of Lipton’s Beefy Onion soup mix (two packets come in a box)
- about 1½ cups of beef stock
- In a big pot over medium-high heat, add in a big drizzle of EVOO and brown up both sides of your roast. Sprinkle a liberal amount of both salt and pepper on each side as you brown (no more than 4 minutes per side).
- Once both sides are browned, add the roast to your slow cooker and then add in your cream of mushroom soups, one packet of onion soup mix (just the dry packet, not prepared) and your beef stock. Cover and cook on HIGH 8 to 10 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, remove the roast from the slow cooker and allow it to rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Your family is going to love, love, love this recipe! Huge hit at my house!!