Friends, here’s the deal…today’s dinner isn’t really a recipe, it’s an idea.
I don’t know about you, but by Wednesday, our week is at 85mph. Between schoolwork, therapies, sporting practices, weeknight games and all of the other stuff that happens when you’re raising a family, I am looking for easy, gluten-free and family-friendly meals that require about 15 minutes of work and yet will fill my kids up with zero complaining. Therefore, I give you…Taco Tot Bowls.
Call it a “low” point or call it brilliant, either way, my kids eat every bite of this super simple supper which leaves everyone happy and me in and out of the kitchen in no time flat. Plus, bonus, it’s naturally g-free which just simplifies everything. Sometimes, we serve this with a green salad, sometimes, just guacamole. Either way, your kids will love it and you’ll love how simple it is.
Happy Hump Day, ladies. Godspeed. xxPrint
Taco Tot Bowls
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
The quickest weeknight meal for your busy family to enjoy on those crazy nights!
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups of your favorite salsa (we use mild)
- 1 (10 oz) can of Rotel tomatoes (or diced tomatoes will work too!)
- 1½ cups of grated cheddar cheese (plus reserve some for garnish)
- about 6 green onions, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- sour cream, optional
- your favorite tater tots heated up and ready to enjoy (see note below)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown up your ground beef in a drizzle of EVOO. Once it’s browned and crumbly, add in your chopped onion and sauté about five minutes or until tender.
- Next, stir in your chili powder plus a pinch of both salt and pepper. After that, stir in your salsa, Rotel, and grated cheese. Stir this mixture together a few minutes or until warmed through.
- Now you serve! Take your bowls and add in your cooked and ready to eat tots followed by a scoop of taco meat and then garnish with sour cream, more cheddar cheese and/or some chopped green onions.
We love tater tots because they’re gluten-free! To heat up ours, we pour the bag into the air fryer and let them heat at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes. By the time they’re done, so is your taco meat!
Girl, if it gets you through the week, it’s definitely not a low point! LOL
WhittyWife (Lindsay) says
You always reference eating a lot of guac, which is super yummy on a chip. But are y’all just eating spoonfuls of it plain?! Or do you have a fabulous low carb dipper that I’m missing out on? You always reference big sides of guac with your meals, which is healthy and delicious, but I can easily go overboard if I eat mine with tortilla chips. ??
Mix and Match Mama says
Great question! We eat it on everything. (It must be a Texas thing?!) We put it on things, on the side to eat it with corn chips or totally by itself. At our house, it reigns supreme!
I love this!! Simple + easy + quick = a winner!
Brilliant, who doesn’t love tater tots!
Debbie K. says
Ok…I want this for lunch..today…right now!! Sounds delicious.
kimberlee S nelson says
I have a question, your recipe calls for salsa but then in the directions, you mention taco sauce. Does the recipe call for both salsa and taco sauce? Thanks! Hope to make this tonite!!! 🙂
Mix and Match Mama says
Oh shoot! Thank you! I will edit that. It’s salsa! My Tex-Mex brain was working too fast!!