Happy Thursday, friends!
Anyone have chicken in the fridge for dinner tonight, but you’re not excited about making “that same old chicken recipe” yet again?
Today’s recipe is a one skillet wonder perfect for easy weeknight suppers plus, it’s seasonal too!
Grab your chicken, your apples and an onion, it’s time for my Chicken & Apple Skillet!Print
An easy, seasonal chicken supper for those busy weeknights in the fall! Serve with rice and a salad and dinner is done!
- salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, sliced (we leave the skin on)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup chicken stock
- a little fresh or dried basil or sage to garnish, optional
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over your chicken breasts.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add in a drizzle of EVOO followed by your chicken. Sauté about 4 minutes on each side (don’t move them around too much or they won’t brown up well).
- Remove your lightly browned chicken to a plate and loosely cover them with foil. Add your chopped and apple slices to your hot skillet along with a bit more EVOO and another pinch of salt and pepper. Sprinkle over your garlic powder and cinnamon. Sauté your onion and apples about five minutes.
- Pour your cider and stock down into your pan with your sauteed apples and onion and de-glaze the pan (use your wooden spoon and lightly scrape everything off the bottom of the pan). Allow this to come to a simmer and then add your chicken right back inside the skillet with the apples and onions.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer everything together loosely covered about 15 minutes (you can loosely add your lid on top or use a piece of foil).
- Dinner is served! Add chicken, onions and apples to a plate and serve. You may garnish with a bit of fresh or dried basil or sage too.
This is really delicious over white rice. We love the frozen Jasmine rice from Trader Joe’s!