Fun days in May!

We have had so many fun days this May that I thought it was time to take all of the pics off of my phone and share them here (before the days of June start to push them even further down in my photo feed).

Before that though, I wanted to thank you for praying for sweet Ashby yesterday.  She had her 13th procedure in less than two years, and it went pretty well.  This month, Andrew and I have taken her to two really big appointments to discuss how we will proceed with the future and for now, we’re going to hold off on any more procedures until after a MRI in July.  At that point, they’ll be able to tell us if we should continue doing this or if it’s time to do another debulking surgery (where they remove veins from her hand/arm), and then continue to do this after that.  We’re hoping a lot of questions get answered and our path even more laid out by the end of the summer.  The thing about Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome is that it grows as you grow…so, the bigger Ashby gets, the bigger her vascular malformation gets as well.  We are also about to try compression garments again.  We tried this form of therapy when she was three, but it did not go well and we stopped pretty immediately.  The blood was not flowing up her arm, so instead of helping her, it caused a great deal of pain.  We’re hopeful that now that she’s older and has had all of these procedures (plus previous debulking) that the compression garments will work and help ease the pain.  So, that’s what’s going on over here.  Today, we’re staying in and cozy.  She wants to watch a lot of princess movies from the couch 🙂 .  Thank you for your prayers.

Now, on to all of our fun days of May…

This year, Miss Kensington asked to go to the aquarium on her skip day.  I thought it was a pretty random choice, but boy!  We had so much fun!  I always pick these days on days when they have a very light schedule at school.  She doesn’t miss the whole day and isn’t counted absent, I just take her out a little early.  On this particular day, they had a district assessment all morning, so their afternoon was dedicated to recess, lunch and PE.  It was the perfect opportunity to take her out and let her see the fish.  And birds.  Why does the Dallas World Aquarium have so many birds????

She was just so animated and HAPPY to be there!

That smile 🙂 .

Love spending time with my oldest girly!

She’s just getting so big, so fast.  As much as I miss the “little kid” stage, this stage is so much fun too!!!

A few weeks later, I picked this guy up for…

…an afternoon by the pool.  His day fell on a realllly good day.  All of the older grades were taking the state standardized tests and his teacher was literally just trying to keep kids quiet while the upper class kids tested.  When I picked him up, he said they were hula hooping in order to burn off energy.  Hahahaha!  That would exhaust me!

I love that he picks swimming.  I can’t get enough “outside” time with this kid!

He wanted me to order him pizza…so I obliged 🙂 .

It was the perfect afternoon!!

We’ve had so many days this May when all I want to do is be outside.  On this night, Kensington and I were doing any and everything to keep us outdoors.

Friends!  We have a turtle problem!  This weekend marks four years in our house and this is the first time turtles keep falling into our pool.  Like all the time.  It’s so weird!  We see turtles in our yard quite a bit, but we have now pulled over a dozen out of our pool.  What’s up with that?  Kensington had just rescued another one (pictured here) and then returned it to our creek.

On Monday, Bowen and Ashby swam all afternoon.  They’re just so sweet together.  I wanted her to have a fun swim day before her procedure.

We have had a lot of fun days in May 🙂 .  Look out, June!  You have a lot to live up to!!

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog May 24, 2018 at 4:42 am

What a great May so far! The aquarium sounds like a wonderful day trip. And you and Kensington look exactly the same, so cute! 🙂

• Erika Slaughter May 24, 2018 at 5:04 am

You know my thoughts on all the birds at the Dallas Aquarium!! And June has a big job but totally manageable. 🙂

• Elspeth Mizner May 24, 2018 at 5:37 am

What fun times!!!! Love it!

• Lindsey May 24, 2018 at 5:50 am

Totally off the subject but your skin is KILLING me!!! It looks flawless in your pics! You have really inspired me over the years to take better care of my skin. I started using retin a and getting facials because of you! Would you consider talking about the photo laser series you mentioned once? I would love to hear your thoughts!

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 5:51 am

I would! I will jot that down on my “to do” sticky note!

• Christine May 24, 2018 at 5:57 am

You can see the joy in all of their faces! Such sweet kiddos!

So about the turtle issue… when my parents built their house, there would always be a turtle sitting on their front porch. Someone told them that the turtles go back to where they were born to lay their eggs. So maybe the turtles used to live where your pool was?? I hope they find a new home, though! 🙂

• Sheaffer Sims May 24, 2018 at 6:05 am

I’d be ALL ABOUT Smith’s skip day!!!!

• Allie L May 24, 2018 at 6:22 am

I don’t remember what they’re called but they make these things you can put in your pool, basically these tiny ramps, so that animals who fall or jump in can get back out! May be worth checking out! Love the skip days, I’m totally gonna do that with my son when he’s in school!

• Casey May 24, 2018 at 1:37 pm

We have them in our pool. They are called “frog logs”. They do work. Not all the time but most of the time.

• Kelly May 24, 2018 at 6:32 am

Kensington’s smilevsays it all! What beautiful kids you have! And I love your side part! So pretty

• Brooke Richardson May 24, 2018 at 6:41 am

Sweet Ashby! So glad the procedure went well! Continued prayers for her.

• Kelly May 24, 2018 at 6:41 am

Praying for sweet Ashby.

• Jen May 24, 2018 at 6:49 am

Shay you are such a wonderful mom and have inspired me to do these special things with my kids also! Where did you get your cute suit? Does it have a style I see navy stripes and I love navy stripes!! Haha

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 7:04 am

I bought that one from Boden! I loved it too! I had never bought suits from them until this year, but I’m a big fan now!

• Beth May 24, 2018 at 6:55 am

I love Kensington’s wardrobe, she always has the cutest outfits. I need her to be my personal stylist.

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 7:04 am

Hahahaha! Me too!

• Shari May 24, 2018 at 7:06 am

What great memories you are making with your kids! Speaking of that, what do you do with all your pictures? Do you print them all or just favorites? Or just keep them on your phone?

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 7:13 am

I keep them all organized on my computer and then I print many of my faves. I delete them from my phone sometimes (if they’re really old), but I have a hard time remembering to do that.

• Jennifer May 24, 2018 at 7:38 am

Have you seen the FrogLog critter saver? I don’t know if turtles could make it up the ramp, but they could at least sit on the platform out of the water until help arrives.

• Alexis deZayas May 24, 2018 at 7:41 am

What a sweet little month! Prayers for sweet Ashby as she rests and recovers today!

• KRE May 24, 2018 at 7:46 am

The Dallas aquarium is pretty cool but I think they should change the name. It seems like there are more birds and other animals than fish!

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 9:18 am

• Cassidy May 24, 2018 at 8:03 am

That last picture is soooo frame-worthy and really capture the pure joy of your little ones (and Andrew)! Thanks for sharing. I so look forward to your posts in the morning! 🙂

• Tracy May 24, 2018 at 8:16 am

I guess turtles in the pool are better than snakes in the pool! Right??

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 9:18 am

Oh my gosh! YES! We do get those too…but that’s not nearly as fun!!

• Ann Marie May 24, 2018 at 8:16 am

That picture is Andrew with all the kids is hilarious! We’re excited for summer!!!!!!

• Natalie Buie May 24, 2018 at 8:39 am

Tell me where you floral striped swimsuit came from please!

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 9:18 am

Boden!!

• Constance May 24, 2018 at 8:48 am

Poor ashby.. I will continue praying for her. What a bold sweetheart she is! And you are an incredible momma for her. Love the joy in all these pics!

• Jess May 24, 2018 at 9:01 am

Amazon sells the ‘Swimline 70200SL FrogLog Critter Saving Escape Ramp’ so small animals can climb out on their own. Maybe it would help your turtles?!

• Mix and Match Mama May 24, 2018 at 9:18 am

I’m going to look that up right now! Thank you, Jess!

• Debbie Ricks May 24, 2018 at 9:10 am

Looking forward to that post!!

• Darcy May 24, 2018 at 9:52 am

So much JOY in this post! 🙂

• Kelly May 24, 2018 at 10:17 am

Love all these fun family pics! We have lots of frogs in our pool but never a turtle. Love the idea of those skip days, so fun for your kiddos and such great memory makers:).

• Allena May 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I have a question about Ashby – when you mentioned as she grows her KTS grows – does that mean she grows more veins (or after you’ve debulked are they gone forever) or do you just mean that she’s bigger so any challenges also become bigger? I’ve never heard of her condition before and was just curious about how the debulking works. Modern science is pretty amazing! I’m guessing someone with her condition would have had a much harder time with it 100 years ago.

• Mix and Match Mama May 25, 2018 at 5:31 am

It means that her arm and hand grow even bigger. Right now, her arm/hand is already quite a bit longer and much bigger than the other one…and has she grows, this happens even more.

• Liz Thorson May 24, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Love your family! Thank you for sharing what is next for Ashby’s treatment and educating us regarding her condition. I know you and Andrew will always be seeking the best care and treatment for her. She captured the Gold Ring when she joined your family!❤️ What a fun month of May your children have enjoyed!

• Sarah W May 24, 2018 at 6:50 pm

I did my first (of hopefully many) skip days w/ my boys this week! The boys loved it as did I! One picked the Crayola Experience and lunch at A&W. The other picked the zoo and lunch at Taco Bell. 🙂 Thanks for the idea!

• Lea Culp May 24, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Yes, it will be hard for June to top your May. Kensington is your mini for sure! Blessings for little Ashby! Happy weekend!

• Wilma May 25, 2018 at 7:30 am

Just be happy it’s a turtle😊. Yesterday my brother had a bear in his😳. That’s living in the Smokey Mts. In TN.
    So happy for answered prayer for sweet Ashby. Always remembering her in our prayers. 🙏

• cassie {hi sugarplum} May 25, 2018 at 8:57 am

I just adore all those darling faces!!!

• Katie June 7, 2018 at 3:34 pm

In your suit from Boden what size are you in the bottoms? I can’t quite decide what to go with! Thank you!

• Mix and Match Mama June 8, 2018 at 6:21 am