Well, today is the day.
The day we have been counting down to since like October.
Today…is Frenchie’s birthday
When your mom is a nine year old, these things take priority in life.
So, since today is an all-consuming Frenchie day at our house, I thought it was the perfect time to take a minute and give you an update on our newest furry family member.
We are all in love with Frenchie Macaroon. Even Smith (who likes to pretend he’s not a fan because it’s “Kensington’s dog”). She has slid right on in as another Shull in our house.
That being said, Frenchie is 100% a mama’s girl. I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous about handing a nine year old a dog to take care of, but she has done an amazing job!
There were growing pains, of course!
“I have to clean up her poop?!”
“I have to walk her even when it’s raining/hot/cold/I just don’t want to?”
“I have to chase her down the sidewalk when she goes after a rabbit?”
Having a dog to call her own has really matured Kensington and helped her grow in areas where she needed a little push. Having to remember to feed a dog, bathe a dog, walk a dog, clean out her crate, pick up her poop and everything else has made her more responsible and I think more aware of what it takes to care for people (and pets) around here.
Now, the weirdest thing to me about getting a second dog has been how much easier I think it is than having only one.
My mom is shaking her head and disagreeing right now. Ha! But truly, having two just seems easier than having the one. Poppy seems so much happier and more content now that she has a friend. They play, they wear each other out, they lie down next to each other and rest…they’re two peas in a pod. I can’t imagine us ever being “one dog” people again.
Frenchie has been fun for the whole family! Here are a few Frenchie facts:
- Poppy is the alpha dog and she’s okay with that. She takes her cues and commands from the senior dog including letting Poppy enter the house before her, letting Poppy decide when they’ve had enough time in the yard and it’s time to walk back up to the porch and if Frenchie has a toy and Poppy wants it, she happily pushes it her way.
- She loves sleeping in her crate! Poppy sleeps in a dog bed next to my side of the bed, but Frenchie heads on into her crate every evening around 9 and stays there until 7:00ish. Poppy wakes when we wake and follows us around, but Frenchie enjoys her sleep.
- Frenchie doesn’t bark. Poppy is super friendly, gets overly excited, loves to know what’s going on/who’s in our house/who’s at the door/had LOADS of energy where Frenchie just sits back and doesn’t care much. She’s not the dog who barks, who gets overly excited and rambunctious…she lets Poppy do all that work while she chills.
- She’s a year old now, but still a little thing. Poppy weighs around 10 pounds where Frenchie only about six. She’s all fluffy fur 🙂 .
- Frenchie loves to cuddle! Poppy wants to sit by me all.day.long. Right this very second as I type, Poppy is asleep at my desk chair. When I move into the kitchen, she’ll follow and sleep on the kitchen rug. Frenchie though wants to sit in your lap. She is a true lap dog and prefers that seat to any other.
The relationship she has with Ashby has been especially surprising. We had no idea how much Ashby would love taking care of a puppy. In all the ways it matured Kensington, I think it really spoke to Ashby’s heart too. Kensington is the mama…but Ashby is a close second. Whenever Frenchie wakes up in the morning, I have to shut her in my office with me or else she runs right up to Kensington and Ashby and whines until they wake up. And when they’re not home? She sleeps in Kensington’s room. Poppy always sleeps in my office with me while I’m home and the kids are at school, but Frenchie? She sleeps upstairs under K’s desk.
Happy 1st birthday, Frenchie! We all love you so much!