Best Slow Cooker Brisket

Best Slow Cooker Brisket

Brisket is probably my very favorite protein to make for dinner.  It reminds me of when I was growing up.  I loved walking through the door after school and smelling brisket in the slow cooker.  I can still remember that!  We make brisket a million different ways around here {BEER CHEESE BRISKET and SAUCY BLEU CHEESE BRISKET just to name a few!}, but this one right here, when I was trying to title it, I just kept thinking it’s THE BEST SLOW COOKER BRISKET I make.  I’ve made it twice in the last four weeks.  Once, we ate it on baked potatoes and then on this night, over a yummy rice and quinoa mix I buy at Costco.  It’s super easy (the slow cooker does all the work!) and delicious too!

This recipe serves 4 to 6.

Shopping List
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
one (about 2 pound) flat trimmed brisket
salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
½ cup beef stock
1 (12 oz) bottle of beer (I used Sam Adam’s Boston Lager)
1 cup soy sauce
¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
chopped parsley to garnish, optional

In a large pot, brown your brisket about three minutes on each side in a big drizzle of EVOO.  Sprinkle a liberal amount of S&P over the brisket as it browns up.  Once both sides are browned, place your brisket in your slow cooker followed by your chopped onion, garlic, beef stock, beer, soy sauce, apple cider vingear, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Dijon mustard and garlic powder.  Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or high 4 to 5 hours.

When you’re ready to eat, remove the brisket onto a cutting board, and discard all of the liquid in the slow cooker.  Shred or chop your brisket and then serve any way you like.  You can serve it by itself with some sides, as a brisket sandwich, on a baked potato or over rice.  Garnish with a little chopped parsley.

I really hope this is in your slow cookers some time this week!  You will not be disappointed!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 11, 2018 at 4:46 am

Great recipe! Beef Brisket is a classic 🙂

• Reply Sheaffer Sims October 11, 2018 at 5:03 am

I LOVE brisket too! This looks delish!

• Reply Narci October 11, 2018 at 6:15 am

Oh yum!! This is going into our meal rotation ASAP! We love brisket!

• Reply Emma October 11, 2018 at 7:08 am

This is definitely going on our meal plan for next week! Here in Australia our kids go back to school next week after their spring break so this will be perfect for a busy school night.

• Reply KN October 11, 2018 at 7:54 am

We all don’t like the taste of beer (even in recipes). Could I sub beef broth?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2018 at 12:59 pm

You can totally sub it, but no, you won’t taste the beer in this one (not like you do in some other beer recipes!).

• Reply Cindy October 11, 2018 at 8:02 am

What size LeCrueset skillet do you have? Thanks for the recipe, looking forward to trying it.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2018 at 12:58 pm

My favorite size is my 9 quart one.

• Reply Jessica October 11, 2018 at 8:09 am

Ooh I can’t wait to try! I’ve been wanting to find the perfect recipe like this. I’m also curious what rice is that you get at Costco!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2018 at 12:57 pm

It’s this amazing garlic one with brown rice and quinoa mixed together!

• Reply Marina October 11, 2018 at 9:43 am

This looks amazing! Would the brisket still cook and taste good if I skipped the browning on the stove step? Have you ever skipped this step? Mornings are so hectic with getting out the door for school and work that I prep my slow cooker meals at night, put them in the fridge, and then dump them in the slow cooker in the morning as I run out the door. That way I don’t have to do any clean up in the mornings before work, just dump it in and go! Can the recipe be modified to skip the browning step or would the brisket not be fully cooked if the step was skipped?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2018 at 12:56 pm

I wouldn’t skip that step. With beef, I really feel like you need to brown it beforehand to get the flavor and texture right. You can…but I personally wouldn’t. Can you brown it the night before? And then stick it in the fridge until the next morning?

• Reply Katie Mayeaux October 11, 2018 at 1:27 pm

I always have everything in my crockpot the night before, and just pull it out and start it in the mornings. I have browned meat the night before and left it in the fridge, and it works out great.