Scarf Exchange 2019

, Scarf Exchange 2019

On Tuesday, we had our ANNUAL SCARF EXCHANGE!

Every year (for like 10 years now!), I get together with a group of girlfriends and we kick off fall with a scarf exchange.  I need to re-name this post “fall accessory exchange” because we decided last year to make it more broad and encompass all fall accessories, but in my heart of hearts, it will always be our “scarf exchange” 🙂 .  I post this year after year because so many of you do it too, and it’s always so fun to hear the feedback!!

Here’s how you play:

1: We always do it at the beginning of fall because it gets us in the mood.

2: Everyone brings a fall accessory wrapped up so that we can’t see what it is.  (You can set a budget so that everyone is paying the same amount.)

3: We write down numbers on pieces of paper for how many of us there are.  So if there are 10 of us, we write 1-10 on little strips of paper and then we all draw a random number.

4: Number one goes first and picks a package.  They open and we all admire.  Then #2 can either steal whatever #1 picked or pick another random wrapped package.  And this goes on and on (like a White Elephant Exchange you might do at Christmas).  The accessory can only be stolen twice before it gets frozen and then cannot be stolen again.  At the end, we let #1 go again and she can either keep her fall item or exchange it with anyone wearing an unfrozen accessory.

So, you could bring a scarf (totally fall!) or something else.  We had girls bring all sorts of things from earrings to a fall hat, bracelets, nail polish and more!

If you’re looking for a fun GNO activity this fall or holiday season, you should totally do this!  You could make it vague (kind of like we did) or specific (bath products, makeup, drug store buys, candles, bracelets, etc).   We do this with the girls in our Sunday school class about twice a year and it’s the perfect group activity if everyone doesn’t know each other because it really gets you into things and introduces you to new people.

This little party would be fun for your tweens and teens too (or a multi-generational group!).

We never, ever, ever have a scarf exchange without thinking about this sweet friend…

, Scarf Exchange 2019

…we miss you so much, Manda!!  You have to love on your friends every chance you get because life is really short.

Okay, do you have any other traditions like this that work well for girls nights out?  I would love to hear them!!  It’s always fun when you eat and then do some sort of activity too.  Let me know!!

And then one more thing…

, Scarf Exchange 2019

…did you see my post this morning?  It’s Apple Butter 2 Ways!  I made it in both the slow cooker and the instant pot!  You can check that out HERE.

Happy Thursday, friends!

, Scarf Exchange 2019

• Reply Erika Slaughter September 5, 2019 at 4:39 am

It’s one of my FAVORITE nights of the entire year! There’s nothing that gets me in the fall spirit like the Scarf Exchange with some of my favorite girls!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog September 5, 2019 at 4:41 am

You have the best annual traditions and GNO activities! Lovely to see how your friendship evolves! 🙂

• Reply KC September 5, 2019 at 5:04 am

I’m trying to get in the fall spirit but we’re getting slammed with a hurricane here in Charleston, SC. Can’t wait to have one of these parties soon though!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 5, 2019 at 7:37 am

I’m so sorry about that, KC!

• Reply KC September 5, 2019 at 11:25 am

Thank you! I love your blog! It’s a bright spot in my day!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims September 5, 2019 at 5:43 am

I love my new earrings, and I love time with my girls.

• Reply Elspeth September 5, 2019 at 6:36 am

I love this idea! what a fun way to see girlfriends and celebrate the fall season. I want to do this with my girlfriends!

• Reply Karen September 5, 2019 at 6:55 am

So fun! What did everyone get??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 5, 2019 at 7:37 am

We had such a wide variety! It was easier to showcase what we got when we all brought scarves! Ha!

• Reply Kelly September 5, 2019 at 7:01 am

I’m NOSY and want to see the gifts ; )
    … I hosted a “Favorite Things” gift exchange party around Christmas-time last year and instead of playing, “White Elephant”, we played “Hot Potato!” …we pass each gift, one-by-one, to the sound of Christmas music and when the music stops, whoever has the gift, keeps it…this way of playing makes it actually FUN to get out! We keep playing until everyone has a gift, last one standing gets last gift : ).

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 5, 2019 at 7:36 am

I picked Andrea’s bag! It had a really cute pair of tortoiseshell earrings and Essie’s Wicked polish (one of my faves!).

• Reply Alexis deZayas September 5, 2019 at 7:16 am

I have my second annual scarf exchange planned for this year 🙂 Such a fun tradition!!

• Reply Natalie Alvarado September 5, 2019 at 7:19 am

I love this tradition! Could you please tell me where you got that fabulous Pumpkin spice mug from your insta stories yesterday? It’s fabulous and I want one!! Happy fall!

• Reply Cindy Davis September 5, 2019 at 7:44 am

Thank you Shay for always, always acknowledging & remembering Manda. The Fall Scarf Exchange was one of her very favorite parties!! I know she was watching. Looks like it was another huge success of beautiful ladies getting together and having a blast. You all are so blessed to have each other.
    Love you all!

• Reply Erin H September 5, 2019 at 8:30 am

Your friend group sounds so fun and amazing it makes me want to move (back) to Texas just to try and make y’all be friends with me 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams September 5, 2019 at 8:43 am

Hosting a favorite things night with friends would be a fun way to spread the love! That apple butter looks DELISH!

• Reply Melanie M. September 5, 2019 at 8:53 am

For several years now, I have played Keeno with a group of ladies. It’s kind of like Bingo except the board is made up of playing cards. We play once a month. There are 12 of us so everyone hosts a month. We always have a theme to wear and the hostess prepares the meal. Everyone brings a $10.00 gift and we do the stealing and the freezing like you mentioned. It’s so much fun and I am thankful to be a part of this.

• Reply Deej September 5, 2019 at 8:57 am

My girlfriends and I started this tradition next year and I gotta get a date on the books! Such a fun thing to do 🙂

• Reply Beth Valenta September 5, 2019 at 9:11 am

I love this tradition. Mine is on the 20th and I opened it up to accessories too! Your sausage pumpkin soup is a favorite that I serve, have you ever doubled it? I think I need to.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 5, 2019 at 9:21 am

Yay!! I’m so happy to hear that! And no, I don’t think I have ever doubled that particular recipe. Enjoy!!!

• Reply Lorie September 5, 2019 at 9:41 am

Will you be posting pictures of all the gifts everyone brought? I’d love to see what everyone brought and got! Hope to start this tradition in my new neighborhood. Thanks for sharing!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 5, 2019 at 1:05 pm

We didn’t take pics of individual items. Dang! We will do that next year!

• Reply Beth Valenta September 5, 2019 at 9:43 am

I forgot to ask…would you happen to know where the girlfriend that is taking the pic got her cute flannel shirt??? Love the black stripes.

• Reply Tina September 5, 2019 at 9:52 am

Did you send out invites or evites? If so would you mind sharing the text you used? I love hosting this type of party but often struggle on what to say!

• Reply Molly Gionet September 5, 2019 at 10:38 am

SO MUCH FUN! I love this post every year.

Here is a great idea for another girls night out! I host this girls night every Holiday season but it can totally take place any time of the year. Its called a favorite things party and I know you and your girlfriends would love it!

Pick a number and a price (example: 4 things at a $10 value). Each girlfriend chooses one thing that they LOVE that is valued at the set price and they bring 4 of the same thing to the party, unwrapped but creatively displayed. Everyone places their “favorite thing” on the table at the party and you do different rounds where each one gets to take a “favorite thing” from the table! So everyone ends up leaving the party with 4 different things that are her girlfriends “favorite things!” It is SO much fun!

• Reply Leiah September 5, 2019 at 2:55 pm

I’d love to see pics and links of all the fun gifts everyone got! Would be great to get some fun fall ideas and get in the spirit!

• Reply Bethany September 5, 2019 at 5:48 pm

Hi! Is this the same party where everyone brings a food item and you vote on a favorite? Or am I loosing my mind? Regardless, I’ve always loved this post!! Happy September! 😊

• Reply Bethany Skobel September 6, 2019 at 11:26 am