Don’t those look delish? Here’s how this recipe went down…
1. My sweet friend Sheaffer buys me this super cool gadget that helps you scoop the filling out of the inside of cupcakes to make “filled cupcakes”.
2. I start thinking what kind of cupcake can I make with a fab filling?
3. I start listening to Christmas music (on October 24 mind you) and it makes me want hot chocolate.
4. I start thinking…hmmmm…a chocolate cupcake with a marshmallow filling…a hot chocolate cupcake.
5. I whip up a batch and they are sooooo yummy!
This is how my brain works. Ok, let’s say your super awesome friends haven’t given you some baking tool that easily allows you to scoop out the inside of your cupcakes…what do you do? You have three choices:
1. Don’t scoop it out, just top the cupcakes with the marshmallow frosting (they’ll still be super delicious!).
2. Take a regular spoon (I tried this and it works very well) and gently scoop out a section in the middle for the frosting to fit in.
3. Go to Hobby Lobby and buy you a cupcake filler thing too 🙂
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 can vanilla frosting
1 (13 oz) jar of marshmallow cream
Sprinkles and mini-marshmallows to garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer. Pour into lined cupcake tins. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool at least 10 minutes. Take spoon (or gadget) and scoop out a little of the inside of the cupcake (make sure to work directly in the middle and not around the edge or the cupcake will collapse). Once you have a crater in the middle, you’re ready to fill with your frosting.
To make frosting, combine store bought vanilla icing with marshmallow cream. Mix with spoon until blended. Spoon into cupcake and spread around top. Garnish with sprinkles and mini-marshmallows.
When you bite into one, you’ll see that the yummy marshmallow center and chocolate cupcake are match made in Heaven.