Today on Show & Tell Tuesday, we are sharing our Momfessional Moments :).
So, Andrea coined the term “momfessional” which means little confessions we make about things we do as moms. Oh dear…I’m sure I have hundreds of little momfessionals, but since 13 is my favorite number, today, I’m sharing 13 of mine. I can’t wait to go and read all of the other confessions linked up today. Being a mom is tricky business and sometimes, we do the funniest things just to survive…
1. Bath Time: I consider myself a really good mom. I love my kids, I love spending time with them, I love, love, love caring for them…until bath time. I do not like bathing my kids. If they could somehow figure out how to get kids clean without using water, I’d be all in. Bath time drives me crazy! They’re loud, it’s wet, I use my “mom” voice the entire time…I despise bath time. I’m a super good mom until it’s time to clean them and then at that point…not so much.
Don’t let this sweet picture fool you…they’re like wild animals in that tub…
2. Getting out of bath time: I strategically save laundry until the end of the day so that when it’s bath time, I can say to Andrew “why don’t you bathe the kids while I do the laundry”. He takes the kids upstairs and bathes them while I hang out downstairs watching TV and folding laundry in the peace and quiet. I didn’t think he was on to this routine until the other day when he said that he wanted to switch and fold laundry while watching Everybody Loves Raymond while I bathed three crazy kids. Uh-oh, busted.
3. 5 Second Rule: Let’s be honest, I live by the 5 minute rule.
4. Carpool Line: I arrive at Kensington’s school early every day to wait in line to pick her up for two reasons: first, when school’s out, I want her to be able to hop in the car first and head home…and second, I love the forced quiet time in my car while I wait. No TV, no distractions, just me, my coffee, my book and quiet.
5. Keeping them awake: I don’t know about you…but if I’m driving home with my kids around nap time, I DO NOT want them falling asleep in the car!! If they fall asleep for even a minute, it throws off their nap. I may or may not be the mom that rolls down the windows next to said sleepy child in order to keep them awake. I’ll roll them down and up over and over again just to catch their attention and distract them…I may or may not do this even if it’s freezing outside.
6. I’m not above hiding: I like to fold laundry in my closet…and if I hear tattling, whining, the phrase “mom ____ won’t share”, and whatnot, I stay quiet and hope they can’t find me.
7. Homework: This year at school, Kensington’s class is responsible for collecting their own homework at the end of the day and taking it with them. Kensington forgot to do this four times this year and each time, I secretly had a party in my head. Woohoo! No homework tonight! Yay!! Outwardly, I was reminding her how important it is to remember homework each night, but inwardly, I’m having a dance party. Homework wears me out every night.
8. My own little office: When my kids were smaller, I would almost always get us in the car a good 5 or 10 minutes before we needed to leave, turn the car on, back out on to the driveway and then sit there and answer emails/phone calls and whatnot…like my own little office. The kiddos were all snug in their car seats and not running around like crazy people, so it was calm, quiet and everyone was restrained. This became a really nice way for me to do a little work each day…from the car.
9. Chutes and Ladders: I hate Chutes and Ladders. It never ends. I cringe when that’s the game they select. (I may also beg them to pick another game…)
10. Sheets: I always have the best intentions when it comes to washing my kids’ sheets. I always tell myself that I’ll do it once a week. Yeah, that never happens. Ever.
11. Band-Aids: I swear…I buy boxes and boxes of Band-Aids at the grocery store but whenever someone is bleeding, I can’t find one. I don’t know where they go…but you should never count on me to have one.
And while we’re at it…thermometers…yeah, I never know where the thermometer is either. I’m sure we have one or two…but if you’re hot, good luck trying to actually locate one at my house.
12. Crafting: .We craft a lot at my house. My kids love glue, scissors, glitter, markers, stickers and such…I secretly cringe when they ask (almost daily) if they (or we) can craft. In my head, I’m thinking “pleeeeeease go play with something else instead!” but I oblige their artsy side. Just the sound of them dumping the package of 50 markers out all over the table makes my stomach drop…crafting just isn’t my thing.
13. Grocery Store lines: Please don’t tell me that there is a shorter line at the next register…I picked the long line on purpose. How many times during the day do I have the chance to flip through a magazine? I’m going to push my cart up to the longest line and read Us Weekly every time.
Hope you enjoyed a few of my momfessionals! Now, I’m off to read everyone else’s!
Next time on Show & Tell Tuesdays, we’re sharing what we wanted to be when we grew up! And to see posts from the past…
(I was in China for the first two, so I wasn’t able to participate.)
And on my foodie blog today…
…Pineapple Teriyaki Salmon is for dinner!