Girlfriend Chat with Jay! (a.k.a. my dad!)

It’s my second Girlfriend Chat!  And oddly enough, I’m interviewing someone who is neither a girl nor friend…I’m chatting with my dad 🙂 .

This is Jay.

He’s my dad.

There are many reasons why I’m interviewing him today:
1: He was WIDELY requested by you guys!
2: He is the most artistic/energetic/charismatic person I know.
3: He’s so darn funny.
4: He is so wise.

Yup!  Happy birthday to my sweet dad!!

In today’s chat, we discuss everything from his favorite child (not me) to the Red Sox, marriage, fatherhood, being on the Bachelor, Jesus and more.  It’s a very well-rounded conversation to say the least.  Please note, the connection was not fantastic and at one point, I ask him to change rooms…I’m apologizing in advance because I know it’s probably a little annoying 😉 .

Ready?  This recording was SO MUCH FUN!!  Click below to listen…

And don’t forget, if you missed my first chat with my sister-in-law, Catherine, you can hear that HERE.

Happy Birthday Dad!!  I love you so much!!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog March 7, 2018 at 4:48 am

Aww this is a cute idea! Can’t wait to hear the wisdom your Dad shares. 🙂

• Reply Dana Murphy March 7, 2018 at 9:35 am

OMG – I loved your chat with your dad! It made me laugh and cry!!! You are so amazing with all you do! You are a blessing! But in listening to your dad, I see where u get it! Today touched me so much! I pray I am at least a little like you guys to my children. They are my greatest blessings! Thank you for sharing you and your family with us!

• Reply Erika Slaughter March 7, 2018 at 5:03 am

What a FUN way to celebrate your dad over on the blog! I can’t wait to listen!!

• Reply Dana March 7, 2018 at 5:20 am

Love this! Your dad is just the sweetest. 🙂

• Reply Jennifer Hampton March 7, 2018 at 5:28 am

I listened and it made me late to get ready for my day but it was worth every second! Such a precious man, he brings a smile to my face! And I’m sure thousands of others! Happy birthday!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims March 7, 2018 at 5:34 am

So I’ve already listened. And your sweet dad was just as sweet and precious AND FUNNY as ever. But I’m very concerned over his hatred of sour cream. That’s not normal. 😉

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 7, 2018 at 5:35 am

It’s not. My mother will try and sneak it in…but he finds it. #weirdo

• Reply Elspeth Mizner March 7, 2018 at 5:41 am

I love your girlfriend chat series!!! And learning abou your dad is even better! Great post

• Reply Marcy March 7, 2018 at 5:48 am

First off Happy Birthday Papa Jay!! This was such a fun listen, thank you for sharing and I look forward to more phone chats

• Reply Eileen McCullough March 7, 2018 at 5:54 am

Your dad is awesome. I loved listening!

• Reply Jessica March 7, 2018 at 6:07 am

I just love your dad!! Happy birthday to him.

• Reply Kristen March 7, 2018 at 6:09 am

I loved this! My dad and I have a very similar relationship and it’s SO special! We sure are blessed.

• Reply Narci Dreffs March 7, 2018 at 6:11 am

Aw! Happy Birthday to your sweet Dad!! I can’t wait to listen to this!

• Reply Tabitha Passwaters March 7, 2018 at 6:16 am

Favorite post to date!😊your dad is hilarious!

• Reply Amy Heinl March 7, 2018 at 6:26 am

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams March 7, 2018 at 6:32 am

Your relationship with your dad is so sweet! I always enjoy your stories about him and now this little chat!

• Reply LeeAnn March 7, 2018 at 7:20 am

That was the sweetest interview I’ve ever heard. “Life is an adventure”… your dad sounds like he’s full of so much love and wisdom. You’re a lucky woman Shay to have such an amazing father.

• Reply Tracy March 7, 2018 at 7:20 am

Can’t wait to listen. What a blessing to have such a close relationship with your dad. So many aren’t that lucky.

• Reply Kate March 7, 2018 at 7:21 am

There is nothing like a chat with Dad, especially one as funny as yours!

• Reply Mother Henn March 7, 2018 at 7:35 am

Happy Birthday to Papa Jay! He sounds like a sweet soul.

• Reply Natalie March 7, 2018 at 7:44 am

Awww Shay.. I just listened I LOVED THIS.. Your dad is so cute. Thanks for sharing … who’s next? I love this that you interview people. How about Andrew? Have a great day…

• Reply Laci March 7, 2018 at 7:58 am

Let me just say I LOVE PAPA JAY!!!! Can he get his own blog or tv show or something?? LOL The world needs more of him!! Happy Birthday to your Dad!!

• Reply Amanda Wilson March 7, 2018 at 8:04 am

I loved listening to that!! Happy Birthday to JAY!! That man just makes me want to be a better person!! He is just so darn lovable!! I love his love for the Lord and that he gives thanks to him always for his blessings! You are blessed Shay!!

• Reply Sarah M. March 7, 2018 at 8:07 am

The format for listening doesn’t seem to be the same as the one you did with Catherine. It says “live” and I can’t pause or fast forward. And then it keeps resetting to the beginning. I can’t seem to get past 5 minutes. I’ll try again later! Love it so far!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 7, 2018 at 8:23 am

That’s so weird???? It’s the exact same!

• Reply Sarah M. March 7, 2018 at 7:04 pm

It worked on my computer at home, so it must have been an issue with my phone. I loved hearing how your dad really appreciates the Lord in his life and gives thanks to Him on a regular basis.

• Reply Laurie S March 7, 2018 at 8:09 am

Happy Birthday Papa Jay! Looking forward to listening later, today, when life quiets down.

• Reply Ashley March 7, 2018 at 8:09 am

Just listened. Love the little tidbit about officiating the wedding and the travels sure sound adventurous! Love your wholesome family!!!!

• Reply Lauren March 7, 2018 at 8:11 am

Your dad is just precious!! Both of you are actually! I love these talks 🙂

• Reply Rachel March 7, 2018 at 8:19 am

Love this! Your dad is so sweet. I would love one with your mom too!

• Reply Michelle P March 7, 2018 at 8:30 am

Shay! I loved this interview with your dad! Happy birthday Mr. Lowe, He is so sweet. I love how you share your love for the Red Sox especially being from Texas. I grew up in Boston so it normal to be a huge Sox fan and share my love of the Sox with my dad, and I work in Kenmore Square so I see the Citgo sign and Fenway everyday. You have no idea how much it warms my heart to see your love for the Sox from Texas and to see your share this passion with your dad is soo special! Thank you so much for sharing this.

• Reply Doreen March 7, 2018 at 8:38 am

Happy Birthday Jay! Love the interview. Hope I run into you when you are in Boston. Go Sox!!

• Reply Anonymous March 7, 2018 at 8:39 am

This was wonderful! My daddy was my best friend… but he passed away when I was 11. This reminded me soo much of him. Treasure your blessing…. of your dad…who obviously loves you so much !! We need more Christian Dads and leaders like him! Happy birthday Mr Lowe !!

• Reply Kaci March 7, 2018 at 8:40 am

You’re so blessed to have a dad like him. Loved this! Happy Birthday!

• Reply Nikki March 7, 2018 at 8:41 am

This may be one of my favorite posts you’ve ever had. Your dad is so sweet. What I love most about your family is how honest and authentic you are with your relationship with the Lord. Your dad has a serious gift at sharing his faith!

• Reply Jesslyn Ratliff March 7, 2018 at 8:43 am

I love Papa Jay! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Tanya March 7, 2018 at 8:56 am

I loved listening to this! Your dad is amazing, and I think the family attitude about travel is wonderful

• Reply Jennifer March 7, 2018 at 9:01 am

I see a podcast in the near future!?! Please???

• Reply Susann March 7, 2018 at 9:03 am

Your dad!! He is just the sweetest!! You are so so blessed to have a dad like that and what an awesome relationship y’all have. Happy Birthday to him!

• Reply Rebecca March 7, 2018 at 9:06 am

Love, love this!! I almost didn’t listen because I thought that’s kinda weird to listen … like eavesdropping! Then I though ok it’s more like a podcast and I was ok with listening. I’m soooooo glad I did – so encouraging. How great for him to give all glory to God. What a blessing he is! Happy Birthday to your Dad- hope he has a wonderful, blessed year!!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick March 7, 2018 at 9:11 am

Your dad reminds me of mine so much!! Even down to their names (Barry Jay is my dad) and their hatred for sour cream. 😉 Happy Birthday to him!! That Inspired Chick

• Reply Ronnie Dean March 7, 2018 at 9:12 am

I LOVED this!! Happy Birthday to your dad! I loved hearing his advice and I loved hearing the sweet relationship you have with him. If there were more ‘Papa Jays’ in the world, it would be a much sweeter place!!

• Reply Elaine March 7, 2018 at 9:18 am

Your dad is precious!! Love your relationship!

• Reply Erica March 7, 2018 at 9:27 am

hahaha! You aren’t lying, your dad is so funny. 🙂 And I know that no one is perfect, but I must say I’m a little jealous of your childhood.

• Reply Angela Ellingson March 7, 2018 at 9:34 am

Happy birthday Jay! I know you know this, but you are just so blessed…

• Reply Ashley March 7, 2018 at 9:46 am

I think Papa Jay needs to be a monthly guest blogger. Love his wisdom! And love your idea with thse guest chats. So fun!!

• Reply stacy March 7, 2018 at 9:47 am

What a lucky girl you are! He seems so sweet, supportive, and caring!

• Reply Rhonda Stanton March 7, 2018 at 9:50 am

We have always had such admiration for your dad…for many reasons. We loved watching him perform Sean’s wedding, his storm chasing stories, his musical talents, his personality etc,
    And, I loved this interview…your dad’s interaction with you was priceless…so cute and funny !
    My husband, your dad and your husband work for the same company. So, we have mutual experiences, friends and interest.
    I love living vicariously though your blogs ‼️

• Reply Mary March 7, 2018 at 10:02 am

Shay, I enjoyed listening to this chat with your father. He sounds like a fun, wise man. However, I listened to it twice, and both times it stopped after he started talking about his kiddos. It went back to the beginning both times. Any ideas as to how to play the complete recording?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 7, 2018 at 11:22 am

I don’t know? I listened today and it worked just fine.

• Reply Kristen March 7, 2018 at 10:07 am

This just made me smile this morning! Your daddy is precious! Happy birthday Papa Jay!

• Reply Kimberly March 7, 2018 at 10:20 am

I think you should just have weekly chats with your dad. I loved listening to him! Happy birthday!

• Reply Cathy March 7, 2018 at 10:46 am

” it was a God thing.” The wedding! Love it! What a sweet and Godly man. Happy Birthday to your dad. May he be blessed with many more.

• Reply Jodie Kingsbury March 7, 2018 at 11:33 am

That call was so sweet. You two just radiate love and happiness. Happy Birthday to your Dad.

• Reply Whitney March 7, 2018 at 11:40 am

Andrew for the next Chat!!!!😊

• Reply Amie P March 7, 2018 at 1:51 pm

I second this…Andrew next! 🙂

• Reply Lidz March 8, 2018 at 11:48 am

I agree!! 👍👍😉

• Reply Becky March 7, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Your dad and share a birthday!

• Reply Myra March 7, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Love love love your dad! Especially because he seems to have a deep love for the Lord! You’re so blessed to have him, Shay!

• Reply Melissa March 7, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Listened and enjoyed it all, in spite of the static! LOL What a sweet dad you have and a sweet relationship. 🙂

• Reply Mary March 7, 2018 at 1:47 pm

I’ve tried one more time, this time on the computer instead of my phone. It worked!!!! Thanks for sharing this conversation.😊

• Reply Jamie Bronis March 7, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Love this!! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Reply MelanieL March 7, 2018 at 2:25 pm

This made my day! He’s the sweetest! Happy birthday to your dad.

• Reply Liz THORSON March 7, 2018 at 2:57 pm

What a sweet, precious, wise, loving, funny man you have in your dad, Shay! Thanks for sharing him with us. I miss my dear father, gone now almost 19 years.💕💕

• Reply kim March 7, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Happy Birthday to your Dad, he has a great sense of humor, this interview made me smile.

• Reply Rebecca Carney March 7, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Happy Birthday Papa Jay!!! This blog post/interview gave me So Much JOY to my Heart today!!! I needed to hear this so badly. Going through many deep valleys and trials currently in my life. I know that I need more of Jesus in my life, I need Jesus to be #1 in my life. Thank you! You have helped me out of a slump today.

• Reply Jay Lowe March 9, 2018 at 11:11 am

Rebecca, Thank you for your very kind words and please know that I have been lifting you up in prayer. In my valleys I always ask God to please quickly bring a Caribbean sunny day to my storm. That has been my prayer for you! I hope this day is blessed beyond measure. Jay

• Reply Jes March 7, 2018 at 8:48 pm

I love that his answer to “who would you trade places with for a day if you could”… was YOU! I think we all would love to know how you get so many things done in a single day. 😆

• Reply Teresa Flahaut March 7, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Such a sweet chat with Jay! What a blessing!

• Reply Michelle B. March 8, 2018 at 9:08 am

I loved this so much. I can tell your dad is the nicest man ever. He reminds me of my dad. Thanks so much for sharing.❤️

• Reply Chelsey March 8, 2018 at 9:34 am

This was such a great chat with your sweet dad! I was smiling and giggling the WHOLE time. Love this new series on your blog!

• Reply Lydia March 8, 2018 at 11:59 am

Happy Birthday to your sweet dad! I enjoyed listening to the chat . So precious! ❤❤❤
    I think your dad needs to start a blog. I would love to read more about his wisdom, advice and his love for the Lord. I would be his loyal reader 😊😊😊

• Reply Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom March 8, 2018 at 1:51 pm

I just truly enjoyed listening to this… your dad is so inspirational, what a blessing!

• Reply Lauren March 8, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Hi Shay! I would love to read a post about how your parents raised you/techniques they used that you now use for your kids? (besides traveling!) Thanks!

• Reply Julie March 8, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Love, love, love this!! Your dad is a precious person so it is no wonder he has such a precious daughter! I miss seeing pictures of your extended family during the holidays and your sweet dad’s birthday!! Please continue to post those.

• Reply maria ortiz March 8, 2018 at 7:43 pm

what a blessed man, your dad! Sooo humble and sooo funny! i loooved listening to him

• Reply Cassidy March 9, 2018 at 8:50 am

Well he’s officially the cutest person in the world. Thanks for sharing your dad and your life with us!!

• Reply Sascha March 9, 2018 at 1:32 pm

What a great interview. An amazing heritage of marriage longevity in your family <3

• Reply Kim March 10, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Oh my goodness I finally got a chance to listen to this and it’s the cutest thing I ever heard!! I just love your Dad! Thank you for sharing!!

• Reply Nicole March 10, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Your dad is just precious! What a blessing to have a family full of love and so much Jesus! Love his heart for sharing Christ! Loved this!!

• Reply Maria March 17, 2018 at 7:58 am

Adorable! When you asked what the secret to his marriage was and he answered, “Jesus,” without hesitation, I almost lost it. I’m so blessed to have a similar relationship – God is so good 🙂