Ashby’s Birthday Weekend!

Well, it’s time for Ashby’s birthday post three.  Hahahaha!  Andrew and I have decided that having your birthday on a Saturday in the summer must be the best thing ever.  Ashby had the BEST day!!  If you missed her FROZEN SWIM PARTY pics, you can see those HERE.  That was the birthday party she had with friends.

On Saturday morning, June 9, we woke up to Ashby’s birthday!  The kids had slept in our room the night before, so we sang her happy birthday and then brought her out into the living room…

…I think Kensington was as excited about Ashby’s birthday as she was…

…the big reveal was a success!  A flamingo for the win!

Ashby had requested sprinkle donuts for her birthday, so we stuck six candles in one and sang to her (again!).

I found sprinkle wrapping paper at Hobby Lobby to match the sprinkle donuts. 🙂  She opened presents and the day began!

This is six, friends!

Really, who needs a pool?

Ashby wanted to spend the day outside swimming before eating hibachi for dinner.  #bestdayever

All she wanted for her birthday were mermaid Barbies that could swim with her.  She was in HEAVEN.  She played with these three for six hours straight.  Why three?  Because this mama knows how many sisters there are…and this way, Ashby could share.

The flamingo really is more fun in the water 🙂 .

For dessert, I had made Red, White & Blue Sprinkle Cones, so we had those with strawberry ice cream.  (You can see how I made them HERE.)

I’m not sure there is a better combination than summer and ice cream!

#winning

Side note…where are the pictures of Andrew???  Ha!  I clearly need to do a better job of capturing my partner in crime too!

We got out of the pool and cleaned up, so that we could head to dinner with…

…our family!  We met our family at a hibachi place in town to keep the celebrating alive!

Three cheers for hibachi!  Side note, that’s one of Cassie’s tops!!  I love them SO MUCH!!

Ashby was super pumped about dinner!

Our littlest guest 🙂 .

Lovie and Kensington

Whoa!!!

Side note, Smith loves him some Monica 🙂 .  That’s Catherine’s sister, and she’s a teacher, so she’s super fantastic with kids!

Every time there was a big fire on the table, this girl would hide behind me.  Ha!

We ended dinner with another round of Happy Birthday (her third for the day!), presents and cupcakes!  It was such a fun day!!

Last year, we were in Seattle for Ashby’s birthday (about to embark on our Alaskan Cruise) and the year before, we flew to Amsterdam on her birthday (for a Norwegian Cruise!), so this year, it was fun to be at home.  We sure do love this girl so much!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 12, 2018 at 4:41 am

Ashby is one lucky girl for sure – not one, but two celebrations! You’ve made her the happiest girl in the world! 🙂

• Reply Erika Slaughter June 12, 2018 at 4:54 am

Ice cream poolside and hibachi? That sounds like my kind of celebration! And I think her smile says it all-a successful birthday!

• Reply Elspeth Mizner June 12, 2018 at 5:46 am

What a fun and successful birthday!!!

• Reply Amanda June 12, 2018 at 5:47 am

Sounds like fantastic birthday!! Happy 6th Birthday Ashby!

Also, I bought one of Cassie’s dresses and two of her tops. They fit perfectly and are just so cute AND comfortable!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2018 at 5:53 am

I’m totally obsessed with her line! She knocked it out of the ballpark!

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt June 12, 2018 at 6:18 am

I love those ice cream cones! Such a cute idea and would be so perfect for the 4th! Plus, they make eating ice cream even more exciting than it already is haha!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Abigail June 12, 2018 at 6:19 am

Sweet Ashby! Looks so fun! Our little China cutie turns 2 in October…praying SO hard we have him home by then! Still praying for your friend & her little Violet…I hope she was able to remain with her family!

• Reply Alexis deZayas June 12, 2018 at 6:26 am

This sounds like my kind of day!! So glad y’all got to celebrate BIG for that sweet girl!

• Reply Brooke Richardson June 12, 2018 at 6:36 am

That pink flamingo is amazing!!! What a special day for sweet Ashby, looked perfect to me.

• Reply Elizabeth June 12, 2018 at 7:00 am

Wow! That sounds like my ideal birthday! It seems like she had an awesome day with you guys. And you are all so tan already! I am jealous!

• Reply Laci June 12, 2018 at 7:16 am

Looks like the perfect birthday to me!

• Reply Erin Port June 12, 2018 at 7:20 am

Such a fun way to celebrate 🙂 Happy Birthday Ashby!

• Reply Laura @ Laura Likes Design June 12, 2018 at 7:27 am

I definitely want to try making those sprinkle cones — so fun and festive for bdays or 4th of July!

LauraLikesDesign.com/blog

• Reply Angela Ellingson June 12, 2018 at 7:52 am

Looks like the best day!!! How fun!

• Reply Shelly Davenport June 12, 2018 at 7:57 am

A while ago you blogged about only letting your kids open one present on their birthday/Christmas. You said you put the rest in the rainy day closet. What age did you stop doing that and why? Just curious – we adopted that practice and love it

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2018 at 12:09 pm

We still do it! We let her open a few things (as always) like the flamingo and the Barbies, but we’re tucking away things for later. Just this week, Kensington was super pumped to open a gift she had been saving. It really does make my kids so happy!

• Reply Amanda Wilson June 12, 2018 at 8:15 am

FUN FUN FUN!!!!
    I wish my family lived close to be a part of our bday Celebrations! I love how the Shulls do birthdays!

• Reply LeeAnn June 12, 2018 at 8:18 am

I need that flamingo in my life. Like stat!

• Reply Sarah :-) June 12, 2018 at 8:22 am

Happy Birthday Ashby! What a fun day! Love the float! Wow! Blessings to your family! ~Sarah 🙂

• Reply Kelly June 12, 2018 at 8:59 am

Ashby knows how to celebrate a birthday!

• Reply Rebecca June 12, 2018 at 9:02 am

Happy, Happy Birthday Ashby!! I love that we are not the only family the brings the pool floats inside:)))

• Reply Tiffany June 12, 2018 at 11:33 am

Happy birthday Ashby!
    Where did you find the mermaid Barbies? My daughter has been asking for one and haven’t found them! Do they get water inside them at all or seem pretty good for the pool? Thanks!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Amazon!! And they’re made for water! They dry quickly and are perfect for the pool!

• Reply Leanne Gilchrist June 12, 2018 at 11:43 am

What a fabulous and fun day! 6 is such a FUN age!! I know this is a post about Ashby, but I can’t stand it, I have to tell you how much I LOVE my top that I ordered from Cassie’s line! I took a chance on the top with the tie, and I got the red one, and YES! I’ve got more in my Nordstrom bag online! And, I’m diligently praying for Violet and her precious family. Whew. That about covers it. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Barbara Parnell June 12, 2018 at 11:49 am

Happy Birthday sweet girl!

• Reply Sheri June 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Hi Shay – You and Andrew are making such wonderful memories for your kids! And the fact that you live close to your extended family is the icing on the cake. All your traditions and celebrations are such fun and your kids will pass those on to their kids. It sounds kind of hokie, but imagine how much nicer the world would be if everyone had such special childhoods. You’re definitely doing your part to make the world a better place! 🙂

• Reply Emily Suin June 12, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Who won the mix and match travel contest for the gift card?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2018 at 3:33 pm

One of our lucky cruise clients did!!

• Reply Brooke June 12, 2018 at 1:50 pm

How do you store all the pool floats??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2018 at 3:33 pm

We just keep them in the pool or drag them up to the patio.

• Reply Carly June 12, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Seems like a perfect day, her smile says it all. Also, am I the only who thinks she looks so grown up with her new haircut? Happy Birthday Ashby!

• Reply Susan McKain June 12, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Happy Birthday, Ashby!

• Reply Liz Thorson June 12, 2018 at 5:26 pm

What a magical day for Ashby to celebrate turning 6! I’m thrilled for her!💕🎂💕

• Reply Kelly June 12, 2018 at 10:14 pm

What a fun celebration! I love the pics! Also – I just read Seven Letters from Paris by Samantha Vernet. If you haven’t read it…I would definitely recommend. ☺

• Reply Olivia June 13, 2018 at 1:38 am

Sounds like a perfect day to me! I kind of want to get a huge float for our living room now 🙂 And goodness your backyard is Heaven! I think Kensington is looking a lot more like you the older she gets!

• Reply Tish Ferry June 13, 2018 at 8:26 am

I’d love for you to do a post all about swimming at home! We are putting in a pool at our new house. Things like what do you do with all the wet towels everyday, where is best to dry out bathing suits, store pool toys, what are your pool rules at home, do you have a time limit for swimming, etc. Any tips you can share would be great! We have 4 kids as well so we have a lot of “stuff” when everyone swims! So glad Ashby had a great bday!! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 13, 2018 at 2:56 pm

That would be a fun post idea!

• Reply Kelly June 18, 2018 at 5:28 am

Yes! This would be a great post to read about. All things pool

• Reply Kelly June 18, 2018 at 5:36 am

Also a post about what you do with “sentimental” things such as birthday cards, hand-drawn artwork, little love notes etc that accumulate over time would be great. Your house seems so clutter free. I’m striving for that! Ha

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 18, 2018 at 5:46 am

We keep a very few select things and toss the rest. We try and take pics of all of it though, so we have those to keep.

• Reply Lo June 15, 2018 at 1:39 am

Who told that little girl she was allowed to get so big and grown up?? This is why you can never blink!

• Reply Kelly June 18, 2018 at 5:33 am

I’m combining 2 posts here but I had to mention how lucky you are being 70% Irish yet you and your kids tan soooo beautifully! Not to mention sans freckles !! Lucky you!!!!
    Now onto Ashbys Birthday … I love how you made ice cream cones go from simple to AWESOME by an easy recipe of adding some fun sprinkles ! What a GREAT idea! Thank you so much for sharing that cause I’m totally doing that this week. So easy yet adds so much!!