First Day of School!

We did it!ย  We survived the first day of school!
(And by survived, I mean that Andrew and I did…we always knew the kids would be fine ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).
The night before, we all got in our pjs and prayed together before the kids went to sleep.ย  We prayed for their teachers, their friends, and anything else we could think of having to do with school.ย  Guys, sweet Ashby’s prayers.ย  Andrew and I were sobbing (as discretely as possible).ย  That kid!ย  We just love her so much.ย  We read The Kissing Hand and tucked them into bed.ย  It was a sweet night.
The next morning, they all three had a great day with their new classes and teachers!ย  Whew!
Here are some pics from our first day of school yesterday…
Fourth grade!!ย  I am so proud of this girl!ย  She works so hard at school, and I just really think this is going to be a good year.ย  We are really excited about her teacher!
This big guy went off to 3rd grade!!ย  He was so ready to see his friends and get back into the routine of things (he’s my routine kid).ย  I am so proud of Smith William!
Oh Ashby!ย  She never once mentioned that she was nervous on this morning.ย  She was just EXCITED!ย  No tears, just a great attitude about starting kindergarten!!
Gangs all here for the first day!!
Hahahaha!ย  I love them so much!
The official “backpack” picture.ย  Please note, this year, each kiddo took their teacher one of my friend Amanda’s sparkly cups with the teacher’s name monogrammed down the side.ย  They were super cute!!ย  (See them sticking out of their cup holders?)ย  You can see her Etsy shop HERE.
All four!ย  Madeley starts pre-school after Labor Day.
Everyone on the golf cart to drive to school.
On the first day, they let the parents walk the kiddos to class.ย  Don’t they look so big here?!
There she goes!ย  Heading into kindergarten!
And then there were two to drop off!
After drop off, Madeley and I got in the car and headed to our town square for our annual breakfast with friends…
Remember when we used to bring a ton of little siblings?ย  We’re down to only four girls and a boy!ย  Libby, Madeley, andย Brittย ย wanted their own table.
I love these mamas so much!!
And then…there was one ๐Ÿ™‚ .
After breakfast, we headed to Home Goods to find pumpkins ๐Ÿ™‚ .
Just M and me these days.ย  I love her so much too!
Over the weekend, I sat down with each kiddo and asked them my traditional “First Day of School” questions…
Kensington
1. How old are you?
2. What is your favorite color?
light pink
3. What is your favorite food?
ice cream
4. What is your favorite TV show?
Bunk’d
5. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween
6. What is your favorite thing to do with Mom?
Bake
7. What is your favorite thing to do with Dad?
volleyball
8. What is your favorite thing to do with Smith?
swim
9. What is your favorite thing to do with Ashby and Madeley?
play hospital
10. What are you most excited about this year in school?
my teacher
11. What are you most nervous about this year in school?
nothing
12. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I want to own a bakery in Boston.
13. What is your favorite movie?
Ferdinand
14. What is your favorite toy/stuffed animal?
Jefferson
15. What is your favorite thing to wear?
Dresses with leggings

Smith

1. How old are you?
2. What is your favorite color?
orange
3. What is your favorite food?
any sort of pasta
4. What is your favorite TV show?
Jessie
5. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas
6. What is your favorite thing to do with Mom?
cuddle
7. What is your favorite thing to do with Dad?
play baseball
8. What is your favorite thing to do with Kensington?
play
9. What is your favorite thing to do with Ashby and Madeley?
With Ashby, play with my Nerf guns and with Madeley, give her a hug
10. What are you most excited about this year in school?
Being in third grade because I’m older.
11. What are you most nervous about this year in school?
nothing
12. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I want to play for the Yankees.
13. What is your favorite movie?
Captain America Civil War
14. What is your favorite toy/stuffed animal?
My Mega Nerf Gun
15. What is your favorite thing to wear?
Yankees shirts
Ashby
1. How old are you?
2. What is your favorite color?
pink
3. What is your favorite food?
soup
4. What is your favorite TV show?
Fancy Nancy
5. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas
6. What is your favorite thing to do with Mom?
have fun
7. What is your favorite thing to do with Dad?
go see movies
8. What is your favorite thing to do with Kensington and Smith?
play
9. What is your favorite thing to do with Madeley?
hanging out
10. What are you most excited about this year in school?
science
11. What are you most nervous about this year in school?
sometimes talking to new friends
12. What do you want to be when you grow up?
a teacher
13. What is your favorite movie?
Cinderella
14. What is your favorite toy/stuffed animal?
my Yankees unicorn
15. What is your favorite thing to wear?
pink
You know what they say…the days are long but the years are short.ย  I couldn’t agree more.ย  All of you mamas out there who are in the toddler phase…where you think your house will never be clean, your kids will never be potty trained, cheerios will always be on the floor, crying babies will always be the background noise and your wardrobe will never be anything besides workout clothes (but you probably didn’t even work out), CHERISH IT!ย  It will be gone before you know it!!!!!
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog August 21, 2018 at 4:40 am

Awww, what a memorable day! I love the photos of the kids with the signs. It’ll be so nice to look back on the photos throughout the years as a series when they grow up! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sheaffer Sims August 21, 2018 at 5:26 am

I literally cannot imagine the amount of planning it takes to get 3 kids out the door in the morning. 3 breakfasts. 3 lunches. 3 outfits. 3 backpacks. GOOD JOB, MAMA!!!!

• Erika Slaughter August 21, 2018 at 5:37 am

YAY for great first days all around!! Now how many more days u til the weekend? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Alexis deZayas August 21, 2018 at 5:42 am

Favorite thing to do with Madeley is give her a hug?! My heart canโ€™t take it! Your kiddos look precious on their first day!

• Elspeth Mizner August 21, 2018 at 5:44 am

Love this!!! My family always read the Kissing Hand as a tradition, my brother and i are in college and there are two more still at home and we still FaceTime the night before the first day of school to read it all together, traditions!

• Narci August 21, 2018 at 5:47 am

Aw!!! They looked adorable on the first day, and I loved reading their interviews! How sweet! Hope they have a great 2nd day too!

• Kristen Walters August 21, 2018 at 6:01 am

The night before the first day of school we read the kissing hand (and the kids always know Momma is going to cry when she reads it), love that book! I jokingly (kind of joking kind of serious)told my oldest going into 7th grade (yes she still looks forward to the tradition) that I love that she still enjoys the tradition and I will continue it even when I drop her off at college- she was horrified ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I took dropped 3 off at school and have 1 kiddo and home who will start back to school next week. It never gets easier always hurts this mommaโ€™s heart to see them off to school for another year! Hope yours have a fabulous school year!

• Karen August 21, 2018 at 6:07 am

I love all your first day photos!! What a cute idea to ask them questions- how nice to have that to look back on. I couldnโ€™t agree more that the days are long and the years are short- seems like mine were little just yesterday. Now they are starting 5th and 9th (yikes!!) grade๐Ÿ˜ข. Doesnโ€™t even seem possible!! Have a great start to the school yearโค๏ธ

• Beth Graves August 21, 2018 at 6:08 am

Precious memories! I have a senior in college and a senior in high school and boy does it go by fast! These children are precious! And Smithโ€™s answer that his favorite thing to do with you is cuddle?! Be still my heart! That is the sweetest!

• Emily Winchester August 21, 2018 at 6:09 am

a baker in Boston and a Yankees player …LOVE it

• Hope August 21, 2018 at 6:16 am

Copied this last paragraph and saved it to my phone for the โ€œhard daysโ€. I have a 3 year old and 2 month old and need to remind myself they will be grown before I know it!

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 7:20 am

They’re going to be BIG before you know it, Hope! Savor today!!!

• Alicia August 21, 2018 at 6:16 am

Isnโ€™t Fancy Nancy the CUTEST show!? Itโ€™s one I actually sit and watch! Haha! Glad they all had a great first day!

• Kathleen August 21, 2018 at 6:19 am

Looks like a great morning. Now 179 more to go!
    Will you do a follow up on Meagan? It seems as if it all worked out!!

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 7:20 am

The birth mother asked the agency to let Meagan’s family raise Violet.

• Kathleen August 21, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Wonderful news!!

• Rebecca Rooney August 21, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Wow, thatโ€™s wonderful news!!!!!

• Amanda August 21, 2018 at 6:35 am

I lovve Madeley’s faces after breakfast. She’s looking like “yes, I’ve got mom all to myself now!!!”

• Laurin Howle August 21, 2018 at 6:36 am

Cuddling with you, hugging Madeley. โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Œ

• Caroline Klobas August 21, 2018 at 9:27 am

Is Smith not the most adorable brother and son ever?! Gosh.

• Elizabeth August 21, 2018 at 6:36 am

I hope they have a great year at school!

But eeeek! The southerner in me is sad Pottery Barn embroidered Kensingtonโ€™s monogram in the wrong order!

• Sara August 21, 2018 at 8:34 am

I had the same question! I saw the K in the center and got nervous that maybe I’d been doing it wrong my whole life, ha!! =) But girl, rock that backpack because it is cute!

• Katherine Cook August 21, 2018 at 11:31 am

Because it is wrong…

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Isn’t it weird that PB does that? When you type in the initials, it puts them in that order for that one. Side note…when Andrew and I were picking out the program for our wedding they typed in our initials and when you put the big S in the middle with A on one side and S on the other, we decided against that on the cover of the program. Hahahahaha!

• Betsy August 21, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Gosh, I hate to see PB getting a bad rap here. They are very clear you enter the initials as first, last, middle and the monogram is then correct. You must have been in a hurry and entered them first, middle, last. I dont want people to think PB doesnโ€™t know how to do a monogram.

• Mix and Match Mama August 22, 2018 at 5:21 am

Haha! Well, I clearly don’t want them to either.

• Danielle August 21, 2018 at 6:42 am

Shay as I read your post right now I am here while my toddler is eating Cheerios, we have been up all night from teething she is cranky, and yes-totally am in my workout clothes and havenโ€™t even worked out! You are spot on my friend! Glad the kids enjoyed school!

• Alisson Jones August 21, 2018 at 7:00 am

Love all of the pictures! As a middle school teacher (and former teenager, ha!), I was wondering if you’ve thought about if/how you’ll keep posting about the kiddos as they get older? (Pictures and life updates) I hated getting my picture taken as a teenager, and I feel like I would have been mortified if my mom had posted about me online. Everyone is different, though!

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 7:19 am

I always ask their permission. They even looked over this post before I posted it today ๐Ÿ™‚ .

• Belinda August 21, 2018 at 7:01 am

I needed that last little bit of encouragement. Thanks Shay! Glad your kiddos had a good first day!

• Robyn August 21, 2018 at 7:03 am

How is your friend Meagan doing? I saw her in the lunch picture and made me think of her and hope her family is doing well. We prayed for her family and just wanted to see how she was doing.

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 7:18 am

Thank you so much for asking! They’re doing great!

• Elizabeth August 21, 2018 at 7:08 am

I can’t believe it is back to school already! I love Smith’s sweet answers. I can totally see Kensington owning a bakery in Boston someday, it seems so much like her!

• Taylor August 21, 2018 at 7:10 am

When I read that Kensington wants to own a bakery in Boston my heart melted!! She is your mini me! I’m so glad you all had a successful first day.

• Laci August 21, 2018 at 7:16 am

The years are flying by!

• Amanda @ That Inspired Chick August 21, 2018 at 7:52 am

Yay! So glad they loved the cups!! Thanks for linking to the shop! I love that Smith ended up having to carry the pink one. hahaha I’m sure he just loved that. Can’t wait to hear how Miss Ashby did on her first day!!
    That Inspired Chick

• Jen August 21, 2018 at 8:02 am

What are you going to do when you have to wear Yankees gear while cheering for Smith?!? LOL Your family is so adorable!

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 10:11 am

I’ve decided to focus all my energy on praying the Sox draft him instead ๐Ÿ™‚ .

• Kelly August 21, 2018 at 8:04 am

What a great first day! And all I really want to know is why can’t I ride to school in a golf cart?;)

• Therese August 21, 2018 at 8:07 am

I love first day of school photos. Our kids’ school also permits parents to walk them in on the first day. I’m super proud that I made it through this year without crying! My son has his 1st grade teacher (who we absolutely adored) again for 3rd and my daughter’s 2nd grade teacher is a friend from HS so my Mama nerves were so much calmer! I am now loving all the stories they tell when they arrive home!

• Meghan August 21, 2018 at 8:14 am

Just love Ashbyโ€™s sweet honesty to question #11!

• Alison Trauger August 21, 2018 at 8:19 am

Smithโ€™s favorite thing with Madeley: give her a hug. Oh my goodness, that is some sweet big brothering right there. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rebecca Jo August 21, 2018 at 8:20 am

Miss Madeley in that shopping cart is the cutest thing ever!!!
    I love that Kensington wants to own a bakery in Boston. #Goals!

• Kathy L August 21, 2018 at 8:28 am

Cute pictures and sweet responses from the 3 big kiddos! Glad everyone had a wonderful first day of school!

• Maureen Werner August 21, 2018 at 8:35 am

I loved your First Day pictures! You and Madeley will have such fun together! You are such a sweet Mama! Thank you for sharing your precious days with the rest of us and reminding me to cherish them!

• Traci August 21, 2018 at 8:35 am

I love Kensington’s comment about owning a bakery in Boston. Too cute! A girl after my own heart!

• Leah Reinemund August 21, 2018 at 8:37 am

Headed to home goods today!!!! When do you usually begin putting out your fall dรฉcor?

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 10:10 am

Some would say too early! Hahahaha! I like it up before Labor Day…because I’m weird like that ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

• Leah Reinemund August 21, 2018 at 3:14 pm

I don’t think so at all! I was thinking of doing so this weekend which is why I asked! #nojudgement ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Patty August 21, 2018 at 8:38 am

I did a needlepoint many years ago when my oldest was 1. It says: “Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, for babies grow up we learn to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep”. My oldest will be 44 next month and my “baby” will be 36 on Saturday. There is also a 40 year old in between. It all seems like it was yesterday. Enjoy your children.

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 10:10 am

Oh my word! This is so sweet!!!

• Jenna August 21, 2018 at 8:39 am

Those lucky teachers getting those cups. I teach, and got a really nice cup at the beginning of the school year last year and used/use it all the time. You can never go wrong with one. I love the pictures and I am so glad that Ashby had such a great first day of Kindergarten!

• Nicole August 21, 2018 at 8:40 am

Awww – Smithโ€™s favorite thing to do with Madeley is give her a big hug. My heart!! ๐Ÿ˜

• Nikki August 21, 2018 at 8:42 am

omg so sweet. Smith’s favorite thing to do with you is cuddle!

• Diana August 21, 2018 at 9:05 am

I love this post! It makes my heart happy! Madeley’s face though! Too Cute!!!

• Lara M August 21, 2018 at 9:07 am

Thank you for your closing paragraph! I have 7 month old twins and I seriously wonder if my wardrobe will consist of anything but my gym clothes (and no, I have NO TIME to actually use them to work out – ha!), if 6pm will always mean crying babies while we try to scarf down dinner, if I’ll always be thinking, “Why did I bother to sweep/mop the floors?!” On the days I say to myself, “Gosh, I can’t wait until they’re more independent and self-sufficient” I really need to pause more and enjoy them being this little because soon enough, I’ll be in your shoes sending them off to Kindergarten (and then I’ll be in the fetal position bawling on the floor). Thanks for some perspective – this sleep deprived mama needed it today! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

Girl, enjoy these days. Enjoy every bit you can!!! Sending you so much love!!!

• Chelsea August 21, 2018 at 9:10 am

Thank you for that last bit of encouragement, Shay! I hope your kids have a great year at school!!

• Ann Marie August 21, 2018 at 9:14 am

Looks like the perfect first day!!!! So happy it went well! Hope the rest of the week is wonderful, too.

• Linda Filtzkowski August 21, 2018 at 9:16 am

The years are soooo very short! My daughter starts her sophomore year the Wednesday after Labor Day and I keep thinking only 3 more years! Next summer we have to start touring colleges! My house is still a mess(we are never ever home) but I wouldn’t trade it for one minute of watching her swim, or play basketball and softball and now play electric guitar in the show band! Have a great school year!

• Angela Ellingson August 21, 2018 at 9:24 am

Great first day! Love the pictures!

• Chelsea August 21, 2018 at 10:11 am

I needed that last paragraph of encouragement, Shay! Glad your kiddos had a great first day!!

• Ralinn August 21, 2018 at 11:53 am

What a very memorable day. You and Madeley are going to have so much fun together this school year. I was always so sad when my children went back to school. I loved taking the first day photos and hearing how their day went. Cheers to a great school year.

• Leanne Gilchrist August 21, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Sigh….these days fly by. I remember making cupcakes for our oldest son’s preschool class at his private school that he went to before we decided to homeschool. He turned 5, and he was obsessed with the ocean, so I made cupcakes with gummy sharks on top! And now, he’s almost 24. Here’s a question: can you link to Kensington’s first day outfit?? Like, maybe do a post on what she clothing she loves the most? I know you let her pick out her own stuff, as we do for our 9 year old….but she sure looks darling!! Also, I just wanted you to know that your family, your children, are COVERED in prayer from the Pacific Northwest in Washington State, right on the mighty Columbia River!!

• Mix and Match Mama August 21, 2018 at 2:34 pm

God bless you, Leanne!!

• Amie August 21, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for the link to your friends etsy store!! I just ordered our daycare owner something. She has purchased ice cream at least once a week for all of the kids at the daycare this summer so I wanted a little something to thank her with ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait til my little guy is old enough to ask these questions to ๐Ÿ™‚

• Heather Newman August 21, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Yes…cherish these moments. So true, in a blink of an eye they grow up. My littles aren’t so little anymore. I have a senior and a freshman. Both high schoolers, how did that happen. It seems like yesterday they were starting school. Wishing your sweet kids a great school year.

• Liz Thorson August 21, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Loved this post, Shay! Each of the children looked so precious and I loved their responses to your questionnaire!โค๏ธ

• Amanda Sherod August 21, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Emailed myself the last paragraph, have one more year until my daughter goes to Kindergarten! While the days are long and my house is a mess, I need to remember I only have one more year with both of my kids home. I had a hard enough time sending her off to Pre-K so I need to soak it all in this last year!

• Shayleen August 21, 2018 at 5:08 pm

As a book lover, hard to believe you tore out a page of a book !

• Mix and Match Mama August 22, 2018 at 5:21 am

I’m a Judy Blume lover too, but that whole chapter talks about Santa. Not just a page…but the whole thing!

• Lea Culp August 21, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Such a precious post!

• Natalie August 21, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Iโ€™m stealing your questions and going to make a video of my kids answering!! I love that. You hit the nail on the head with your last part. There are days where my kiddos are driving me crazy and I just want to get a babysitter and bolt for a few hours, but then I remember that this phase will be over before I know it and Iโ€™ll long for them to be 5 and 2.5 again. I noticed a little baby in that pic – Iโ€™m hopeful that is Violet and that her adoption did go through with your friend, Meagan.

• Janie August 22, 2018 at 9:38 am

Loved the Q/A ! You are raising precious children. May they all have a fabulous school year !!

• Kimberly August 22, 2018 at 9:46 am

What a sweet post! Love reading all the answers to their questions ๐Ÿ™‚ My 4th grader also loves Bunk’d and Jessie – he was always wanting to watch them on Netflix or some days he would sneak over to grandma’s house to watch Bunk’d. Sadly though, our summer ended too and he headed back to school this morning.

• Jennifer August 22, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Where do you get the day of schools signs :)?

• Mix and Match Mama August 23, 2018 at 5:25 am

Etsy!!

• Kacy August 22, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Omg Smithโ€™s answer about Madeley was too precious.

• Shelly August 23, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Precious, precious pictures! They are all getting so big! Glad they had a great first day. And that Madeley posing in the shopping cart….oh heavens so cute!