What’s Up Wednesday {08.29.18}

whatsupwedupdated

It’s  What’s Up Wednesday!

(Gosh, I love these posts every month!!!)

Once a month, my friends Mel, Sheaffer and I host this link up where we share some random and fun stuff that’s up with us today.  If you blogged WUW too, make sure you link up at the bottom of the post!  Every month, we answer these questions…

wuwquestions-edit

…in our What’s Up Wednesday posts!

Anyone else pumped about the long weekend?  If you’re looking for a Labor Day menu (easy!), make sure you see mine…

Labor Day Menu

…check it out HERE.

Once Labor Day is over, it will be full pumpkin mode over at our place 😉 .

Here’s hopin’ Starbucks puts out their PSL soon 😉 .

1: WHAT WE’RE EATING THIS WEEK:

Well, on Monday night, we tried another Instant Pot meal.  My friend Amanda suggested that I try this one HERE, and you know what?  It turned out delicious  and was really easy!  Smith helped me make it and pretty much was able to do most of it by himself (with my supervision).  This one took me about 20 minutes from start to finish and there was enough leftover that we had leftovers for lunch the next day.

If you missed my Instant Pot review HERE, you should go back and read the comments.  Here’s the thing, I’m two meals into using my Instant Pot and they were both excellent, but I’m still on the fence.  I just don’t know if it’s a good product for me since I tend to have more time in the morning than the afternoons to prep and cook my food.  If I do have time in the late afternoon/early evening, I just go ahead and cook something on the stove top instead.  That being said, both of my Instant Pot meals were delish, so I’m going to KEEP trying 🙂 .

2. WHAT I’M REMINISCING ABOUT:

Guys!  Look at this sweet picture!!  I’ve thought a lot about this lately.  About a month before we went to China to pick up Ashby, her sweet kindergarten teacher made a really big deal about how Kensington was adopting a baby sister and as a class, they read A Mother for Choco (which is the PERFECT book for the subject!).  Her teacher texted me this pic that day…and you know what?  That same teacher is now Ashby’s kindergarten teacher.  Isn’t that so cool?!  Who would have thought almost four years later that sweet Ashby would also have the world’s greatest kinder teacher?!  It makes my heart so happy to think about how we’ve come full circle.

3: WHAT I’M LOVING:

Look at my cute heels!

They’re a chestnut suede like color and material, so they scream “fall” without being too hot for this transitional weather time.  Bonus, they’re Steven Madden which means they’re comfy too!  They come in many other colors, but I loved chestnut the most!

I’ve had this dress for several years, but they still carry it at Nordstrom.  It’s one of my favorites!

4: WHAT WE’VE BEEN UP TO:

Back to life, back to reality.

Back to school.

We’re still getting the hang of it.  Although Smith said it feels like they just had one long break and really didn’t stop.  #poorkid

5: WHAT I’M DREADING:

I mean…I’m not dreading it, but guys, KENSINGTON IS ABOUT TO TURN 10!

What?

How?

When?

Whhhhhhhyyyyy????

I’m can’t.  I just can’t.

6: WHAT I’M WORKING ON:

Well, if you know me, then you know how much I love to read…but…I’ve recently decided to start eliminating some of my monthly magazine subscriptions.  Eeeeeks!  It was time.

I love, love, love sitting down with a magazine…but over the years, I’ve racked up too many subscriptions and now that I’m reading more, I just don’t have time for all of them, so I’m scaling back.  I’m still keeping some of my faves (I’m talking to YOU Good Housekeeping and Southern Living!), but I’ve been cancelling some of my others.  It stresses me out not to read them.  And that’s just stupid.  So, I’m eliminating that nonsense from my life.  One magazine at a time.

7: WHAT I’M EXCITED ABOUT:

I HAVE A HUGE GIVEAWAY PLANNED THIS MONTH!

Huge.

Gigantic.

You won’t want to miss it!

8: WHAT I’M WATCHING/READING:

My August Book Review was up on Monday…

August Book Review

…I had mixed reviews this go around.  Click HERE to read my thoughts and especially to read everyone’s comments!

9: WHAT I’M LISTENING TO:

Right now, the Steve Tyrell station on Pandora.  It’s my all-time fave 🙂 .

10: WHAT I’M WEARING:

Honestly?  A lot of workout clothes! Hahaha!

I say this all the time, but friends, my favorite place to buy workout clothes (and swimsuits!) is Athleta!!  I’ve been a loyal customer for like 7 or 8 years now and it never disappoints!  I have pieces in my drawers that are over five years old that I still wear all the time because they still fit and look good after a billion washes and dries.  Here’s what I’ve been wearing lately…

My shorts are forever old but I still wear them and paired them with this tank, this sports bra and then a little tee thrown over (I don’t work out in the little tee, but I wear it to and from the gym and then for the rest of the day).

I mean…she is the SWEETEST!!

I wore this little outfit all day Monday!

Nikes, shorts, tank, sports bra and sweatshirt thingy for the win on a Monday!  Side note, I really love these shoes.  Typically, I have to size up when wearing athletic shoes, but for these, I didn’t.  They come in like 12 different colors, but the grey and pink had me 🙂 .  They’re comfy and work well when I run or hit a class!

11: WHAT I’M DOING THIS WEEKEND:

High school football!

We’re so excited to go to our first high school football game of the season in our new (AMAZING!) high school stadium!  We are so PUMPED!!

12: WHAT I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:

We are going to have a very special time celebrating Kensington turning TEN!!

13: WHAT ELSE IS NEW:

I’m ready for pumpkin everything 🙂 .

Bonus question this month:  WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE BACK TO SCHOOL TRADITION?

Right now, I would say it’s how we all take them to school and then are home waiting for them after it’s over.  It’s such a special time for the Shull six to talk about our days and what we’re excited about/what happened/etc.  I love this family of mine so much!

Okay!  That’s What’s Up Wednesday today! If you blogged too, make sure you link up below.  I hope you guys have a fantastic day!!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog August 29, 2018 at 4:40 am

My favourite season is summer, but I can’t wait for pumpkin season as well! Can’t wait to see what you make in the kitchen, Shay 🙂

• Reply Lauren August 29, 2018 at 4:41 am

The PSL is already out!!!! Go get it!

• Reply kristen August 29, 2018 at 5:08 am

oh, i want an Instant Pot! that meal looks delish. but, i think i’d feel the same as you – if i have the time in the afternoon/evening, i can cook something on the stove. so i don’t know if i *need* one. i often forget to get meat out to thaw so i think i’d like it for that reason, but really i could just try and remember to get the meat out of the freezer lol. those heels are gorgeous! also definitely need that dress. good for you for cancelling some of your magazine subscriptions – i used to be pretty addicted to buying magazines and made myself cut cold turkey.. it’s been several years and i’ve never missed them. i do not have a favourite back to school tradition.. i don’t have kids and we didn’t really do traditions when i went to school, unless you count getting new shoes and going to the uniform shop lol.

• Reply Adrienne August 29, 2018 at 5:11 am

Shay -have you watched The Handmaid’s Tale?! Started binge watching over the weekend and holy moly!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 29, 2018 at 5:18 am

My friends have told me the same thing! I need to watch!!!

• Reply Beth Knecht August 29, 2018 at 5:15 am

I totally feel you in feeling stressed out if I don’t read my magazines, too! I decided to eliminate a lot of them for that exact reason. So crazy but so true! Now if I decide I have time to read more of them, I just pick them up at the library and borrow them for a week!

• Reply Brianna August 29, 2018 at 5:15 am

Here in Canada the PSL is back today!!!!!!!!! 🎃🍁🎃

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt August 29, 2018 at 5:42 am

I had a PSL yesterday so you need to go get one today! And I can’t wait for all things pumpkin, too! I’m waiting on September 1 when I feel like it’s acceptable to put out all my fall decorations haha!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Kristin August 29, 2018 at 5:43 am

Pumpkin spice latte came out yesterday!!!!!

• Reply Kristi August 29, 2018 at 5:52 am

Help!! I need fall family picture outfit ideas, and I keep waiting for you to save me and share the most perfect outfit!! 😂😍

• Reply Erika Slaughter August 29, 2018 at 6:06 am

This post got me in the mood for fall. Now I just need the temperatures to dip below ninety-five. Sigh.

• Reply Narci August 29, 2018 at 6:13 am

You looked adorable in that navy dress and heels this weekend! So cute!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams August 29, 2018 at 6:38 am

I deleted my magazine subscriptions too! It weighed on me all the time when I wasn’t getting to read them. The story about their kindergarten teacher warms my heart. What a special thing that both girls will have her!
    xo

• Reply Alexis deZayas August 29, 2018 at 6:38 am

PSL came back this week 🙂 I’m so ready for everything fall!!

• Reply Jen August 29, 2018 at 6:48 am

Shay! Love love your blog! Did you get an xs in the adorable pink sweatshirt thing?! I love it!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 29, 2018 at 6:59 am

Yes! I did!!

• Reply Danielle @ A Sprinkle of Joy August 29, 2018 at 6:48 am

I too am on the fence about the instant pot… I need to get more recipes.

• Reply Amy August 29, 2018 at 6:49 am

Can I just say I knew the PSL was coming back yesterday, yet when i drove to Starbucks for my coffee, I seriously thought the orange balloons on their mailbox were a nice gesture for their mailman’s birthday!!😬😬 (mom brain!)

• Reply Rachel August 29, 2018 at 6:49 am

PSL is out!!!! Whoo hoo!

• Reply DANIELLE K RIGG August 29, 2018 at 6:55 am

Was in Target yesterday and saw PS was out, but way to hot in Jersey so Mocha Frap it was. I think some of our favorite school traditions are school shopping for new clothes and shoes, first day pictures, dinner and ice cream while talking about our day. I am a first grade teacher so my girls are now getting into “what happened at your school today”. Every night we discuss our Cherry (best part of the day) and the Pit (sad, bad or just not the best part of the day). This is prob our favorite thing to always do at dinner. It is a great way to have your children talk about their day, also for them to ask you. I love to stress that with the Pit – there is always a way to solve the problem but also that was just a small moment/part of your day. To focus on the cherry of the day – move on from the pit – everything will work out and be ok. Happy Hump Day!

• Reply Dana August 29, 2018 at 7:03 am

PSL came out yesterday! I gotta get one asap 🙂

• Reply Gardner Story August 29, 2018 at 7:10 am

I LOVE FALL! Once October hits, it’s just my favorite time of year in Memphis. Then when December arrives, I’m so pumped for Christmas! Do you mind sharing any favorite affordable outdoor fall decor? Or even favorite flowers for Fall? I’m looking for a good wreath (fall or year round), as well as what to put on our front porch and back deck. Obviously I’ll buy real pumpkins, but would love to know if there’s anything else to spruce it up. 🙂

• Reply kathy August 29, 2018 at 7:17 am

i had my first PSL yesterday:) It was wonderful!
    Ever since Father of the Bride came out, I’ve loved Steve Tyrell, too. It makes the house feel happy and cozy when his music is playing.

• Reply Elizabeth August 29, 2018 at 7:25 am

Loving your workout gear! I am a huge fan of Athleta’s yoga pants, but I haven’t tried their tanks or shorts yet– so cute! As much as I love summer, I’m totally ready for fall too! I love fall fashion the most and I’m running out of summer outfits anyways haha.

• Reply Karen Ward August 29, 2018 at 7:28 am

There’s no way Kensington is in double digits!!

Also wanted to tell you I ordered that cute black and white dress from Amazon yesterday. It was only $8 and some change!! Can’t wait to see it in person.

• Reply Allison August 29, 2018 at 7:38 am

Try the Texture app on your iPad! You get all the magazines for a monthly subscription. No more magazine clutter!

• Reply Janet August 29, 2018 at 7:49 pm

I was going to post the same suggestion. I enjoy using Texture. There are still a couple of magazines I prefer to get in print but the rest digital is the way to go.

• Reply Sheaffer Sims August 29, 2018 at 7:47 am

Those work out clothes are CUTE!!! And I love that Ashby now has the teacher!!!

• Reply CARRIE August 29, 2018 at 7:51 am

One of the things I love to do is make soups in the fall/winter in the instant pot. It definitely gets more use at our home during colder months. Mel at Larson Lingo is the queen of instant pot recipes.
    Enjoy!

• Reply Julie August 29, 2018 at 8:36 am

You had mentioned the Steve Tyrell station a few years ago on here and it’s the only thing I listen to in my classroom now! I teach high school resource so my students see me for their study halls. I always have that station playing quietly on my laptop. It’s soothing and my kids have complimented the music and a few have even said they listen to it at home while doing homework because it helps them concentrate. So my students and I thank you for mentioning it!

• Reply Lexi Jones August 29, 2018 at 8:37 am

Oh my gosh, such a good post! First of all, LOVE the heels! And pumpkin spice is life. I just released new fall tees for my shirt business and you better believe I included a ton of pumpkin spice designs haha! You are so in tune with yourself and are definitely stronger than me…giving up my favorite magazine would be hard! I’m currently obsessed with The Magnolia Journal. (At least you kept a couple!) Oh man, high school football. My husband and I just moved to Texas and we’re so excited to dip our toes into Friday Nights and everything we’ve heard about them! 🙂

• Reply Angela Ellingson August 29, 2018 at 8:39 am

I love that story about Ashby’s teacher! ❤️ And yes, 10 sounds so big. Crazy!

• Reply Shelley August 29, 2018 at 8:39 am

For the magazines I would suggest the Texture app; you pay a monthly fee (I pay 20$) and have access on your mobile device to a ton of different magazines and since it’s on your device no clutter in the house.

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick August 29, 2018 at 8:47 am

Love your cute workout gear! Especially those shoes. Glad you liked the recipe!!
    That Inspired Chick

• Reply Kari Cox August 29, 2018 at 8:54 am

So funny about the magazine subscriptions, because I am doing the exact same thing! I have subscribed to so many, but I feel so stressed when I can’t read them all each month, before the next month’s come rolling in! I have been reading so many library books that my magazines (which I historically LOVE) have taken a back seat. Funny to hear someone else coming to the same conclusion. Love your book reviews and recommendations–keep them coming!
    Have a blessed day! 🙂

• Reply Kerrie August 29, 2018 at 8:57 am

PSL is back as of yesterday! You’re welcome!!

• Reply Lindsey Wynn August 29, 2018 at 8:58 am

You should binge watch Suits! It is soooo good! It’s a legal drama like The Good Wife but has a different spin to it. I was hooked from the first episode.

• Reply Chrys August 29, 2018 at 9:17 am

Talk to me about that dark nail polish you are wearing in the picts. Name please? Girl, you are all about Fall when I am still out here working on my tan haha. However, I do get all warm and fuzzy when I think about the “Autumn” Hallmark movies that will be shown soon. 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 29, 2018 at 12:02 pm

It’s like one of my faves! it’s dark navy! It’s Essie’s back to school boy blazer!

• Reply Jennelle August 29, 2018 at 9:28 am

Ha ha ha! Unread magazines also stress me out – solidarity!!

• Reply Mother of 3 August 29, 2018 at 10:55 am

I feel like your workout outfits are more put together than my usual outfits! So cute. We don’t really have any back to school traditions since we homeschool.. but we do enjoy a fun “not back to school” beach day every year within the first or second week of all the schools heading back.

• Reply Samantha August 29, 2018 at 11:04 am

Try an ice PSL – they are delicious! Especially if you don’t like hot drinks.

• Reply Julie August 29, 2018 at 11:10 am

I decided to try Steve Tyrell on Pandora this morning after reading your post. Love.It.So.Much!!

Also, I have 8 magazine subscriptions and honestly it’s my favorite day when one arrives in my mailbox. Sometimes I get overwhelmed too when they pile up unread, but I cannot give them up. Reading them makes me too happy and I have FOMO over missing something:) I will forge ahead and read them instead of doing the laundry or cooking dinner…

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 29, 2018 at 12:01 pm

He’s my favorite!!!!!!!!

• Reply Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World August 29, 2018 at 11:34 am

Steve Tyrell is my favorite! You are definitely my spirit animal!! Last night I turned on Steve Tyrell, poured a glass of wine, and made dinner while it was raining outside. It was PURE heaven. I love me some standards!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 29, 2018 at 12:01 pm

GOALS. Total goals!!!

• Reply Whitney August 29, 2018 at 11:40 am

The Texture app allows you to subscribe to numerous magazines for only $10/month! And they’re just stored on your iPad so you can read them whenever you want, even months later!

• Reply Jennifer August 29, 2018 at 1:57 pm

I made loaded baked potato soup in my instant post last night! So easy and so delicious.

• Reply DG August 29, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I stopped getting all my magazines except for Southern Living–die hard here. But, most of the magazines I read, and so many others , are online through my library in Austin. They are just digital versions and you can sign up to receive notifications when a new one is uploaded.

• Reply Beth Valenta August 29, 2018 at 2:38 pm

I just bought a pumpkin for my school counseling office! I still love back to school entering into my 30th year in education and decorating my office gets me so excited for the children to return after Labor Day. Labor Day will be the last clam bake of the year, a traditon…but PSL is on my fall bucket list! Love seeing the back to school family vibes. Adorable!

• Reply amanda August 29, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Girl, YESTERDAY was official PSL day!!! Go now!!! i had my first one of the season today, courtesy of my sweet momma, and all is well with my sould now!

• Reply Laura August 29, 2018 at 5:19 pm

I know you love “all things British” have you watched Call the Midwife on Netflix? I am obsessed and it gets better with every season 😊

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 30, 2018 at 5:38 am

I have!!! I’m not all caught up, but I watched the first season.

• Reply Gale Johnston August 29, 2018 at 6:15 pm

OMG…I literally teared up reading about Kensington and “A Mother for Chaco”. What an amazing teacher! And that now Ashby is in that same teacher’s class. Yeah…I’m doing it again. So incredibly sweet!

Yes, I no longer get ANY magazines. They just piled up, and I put them in the recycling without even reading them. Who needs them when I have your blog to read anyway?

And thank you so much for posting the pics and links of your workout clothes! So cute! I workout regularly at OTF, and I need more. I love the grey striped tank, and will probably cave and order it.

Thank you for all you do!

• Reply Melissa Comeford August 30, 2018 at 11:53 am

You should check out the Texture app. For around $10/month you can get digital editions of a bajillion magazines. I don’t take any in the mail anymore. I read them on the ipad . You get all the back issues, and it has the ability to save articles in folders you create. I LOVE it. Plus it’s great for those magazines you might not subscribe to but the cover catches your eye in the checkout line. I used to take a pile to catch up on when on vacation and now I can have them all on my tablet!