Life lately.

Happy Thursday, friends!

Anyone besides me bingeing on the new season of Ozark right now?  My phone is toggling this week between When Harry Met Sally and Ozark…polar opposites to say the least!  Besides Ozark, here’s a little look at life lately…

, Life lately.

These two have been enjoying the “big kid-free” time 🙂 .

, Life lately.

I mean…I’m a mess in this pic, but look at sweet Madeley’s face!  She loves piggyback rides when it’s nap time…

, Life lately.

With the big kids at school, little Frenchie has been spending a lot of time hanging out with me.  She is the sweetest dog!!  (By the way, this is that top I love so much HERE.  It’s perfect for September!)

, Life lately.

Madeley wanted to have a school lunch last week (like the big kids), so I made her one to take with us while we ran errands.  She was so excited!

, Life lately.

There is nothing better than a clean baby in holiday pajamas.  Nothing!

Side note: all the Madeley pics because those big kids are at school all day (insert me crying HERE!).

, Life lately.

We went to a high school football game on Friday night…and it was the battle of the shirts between my hubby and me.

, Life lately.

We had the BEST time!!  We are going to try and go to many games this season!!!  I’m going to blink and these two girls will be in high school.  Boohoo!

Can I share a pet peeve with you?

This probably happens where you live too…but I get so tired of the “Texas” stereotypes.  Anytime there is something “Texas” on TV or in a movie, it’s filled with cowboy boots, country music, big open yards without neighbors nearby, everyone is carrying a rifle and there are lots of animals.  That is not the Texas I’ve lived in for almost 37 years. I’ve never even owned a pair of cowboy boots and I can’t stand country music.  Why do people think we live like that?  Oh wait? I went to my parents’ house over the weekend…

, Life lately.

…and the neighbor’s cows came up to their fence to say hi.  Sigh.

, Life lately.

We’re just perpetuating all the Texas stereotypes right and left.  Hahahahaha!  Side note: my parents live in a large town with neighbors and an HOA…and cows 😉 .

, Life lately.

I went to fold the laundry on my bed and this one was snuggled up in the clean clothes trying to take a nap.

, Life lately.

Quick, someone name that baton!  Why do I have it???  Ha!

That’s a little look at life lately.

And one more random thing.  These two tops that are super, super, super cozy are on sale right now…

, Life lately.

This one here and then this one (that you’ve seen me wear a billion times)…

, Life lately.

…they’re both fleece and both perfection.

Happy Thursday, friends! xo

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog September 6, 2018 at 4:39 am

Your family is so gorgeous! Y’all are crazy photogenic 🙂 Love the photos!

• Erika Slaughter September 6, 2018 at 5:06 am

I have a feeling Madeley is so glad those big kids are at school. She appears to be loving that only child life!

• Beth Knecht September 6, 2018 at 5:18 am

Love that sweet picture of Madeley and those two tops!

• Molly Schachner September 6, 2018 at 5:42 am

So cute! We just finished Ozark season 2!!!!! Ahh!! So good. And I’m from Missouri and hope that people don’t always stereotype people from Missouri like the people in Ozark!!

• Elspeth Mizner September 6, 2018 at 5:43 am

Love it! Have you finished binge watching greys anatomy? What were your thoughts on it?

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 6:03 am

I’m on season 7. I had to take a break to watch Ozark and all my fall shows. I think I’ll start back in January…because the Hallmark Channel has me pretty busy between now and then!

• Elspeth Mizner September 6, 2018 at 6:34 am

Hahah! I don’t blame you. It’s a long series too! I’m glad you are enjoying it!

• Sheaffer Sims September 6, 2018 at 5:43 am

Awwww! M’s sweet little face during the piggy back ride! Absolutely precious!

• Rebecca September 6, 2018 at 6:03 am

Where is Madeleys cute halloween pajamas from? 🙂

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 6:43 am

Gymboree!

• Sarah Shaneyfelt September 6, 2018 at 6:04 am

I love your nail polish you have on at the football game! When Harry Met Sally is my all time favorite movie ever!!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Lesley McFarland September 6, 2018 at 6:06 am

Madely just has the sweetest face!!!
    I am with ya on the whole Texas thing. Every.single.time a large longhorn is in the pic when something is mentioned about Texas. It’s not like they are just roaming the streets. Gezzzzz…

• Audra September 6, 2018 at 7:03 am

hahaha Oh but the longhorns ARE roaming the streets in Fort Worth! ; ) My family pretty much IS every stereotype, so they just make me laugh. #texasforever

• Caitlin September 6, 2018 at 6:07 am

Funny you mention the stereotype! I live in Buffalo, NY and we don’t only get snow!! Everyone thinks that in the winter we are always snowed in. It snows, sometimes a lot but it is beautiful here as well!

• Heather O September 6, 2018 at 9:07 am

I’m a Buffalo girl too and it’s SO annoying hearing about all the year round snow we allegedly get hahaha. I also hate when everyone hears Buffalo / NY and just assume NYC is right next door (and not 7 hours away haha)

• Jessica September 6, 2018 at 6:08 am

haha I totally feel the same way about Boston being portrayed in movies. Its all mob related OR the Boston accents the actors do are completely awful and over the top!

• Dana Westfall September 6, 2018 at 6:15 am

Oh My Ozark. My stress level can’t take it! So good!

• Meagan Ruse September 6, 2018 at 6:20 am

We haven’t started the new season of Ozark yet!!! We were talking about watching the last show bc we had kind of forgotten where it left off!

• Rory September 6, 2018 at 6:35 am

Shay, do you watch This is Us? I feel like you would love it! It’s super emotional, but so cozy/feel-good at the same time, and adoption plays a big part in it.

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 6:43 am

I watched the first season and stopped. I was so tired of feeling sad/emotionally exhausted after each episode. It was BRILLIANT, but I maybe need to binge it at a later date.

• Katie M Stuen September 6, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Oh I know right? This is Us emotionally drained me yet tugged on my heart strings at the same time. I would just cry after every episode, I could just not do it.

• Erin September 6, 2018 at 6:38 am

I live outside of and work IN Boston – so totally get the stereo types! I CRINGE every time I hear a fake Boston accent in a movie. Once I was checking into a hotel out of town and the front desk asked me where I was from and I told her Boston, she said, “Can’t be! You’re so nice!” Haha, I guess we have a reputation! But YOU know – we aren’t all bad! Hope to make it to TX someday, even if it isn’t all cowboys 😉 it still looks pretty wonderful!

• Chelsey Boren September 6, 2018 at 6:48 am

You need a pair of cowboy boots!

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 8:36 am

I just don’t think I can do it. Hahaha!

• Marcy September 6, 2018 at 7:17 am

Clearly you won the battle of the shirts on Friday night..😊. #GoRedSox

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 8:35 am

I’ve been winning all season 😉 .

• Francesca September 6, 2018 at 7:29 am

You’ve inspired me to get some fall/pumpkin pjs for my two year old! I only think of Christmas pjs, but those are so cute!

• Amanda Wilson September 6, 2018 at 7:37 am

Hello I am from Canada. Insert a million stereotypes. Also why can’t we be in your contests?? Just curious

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 8:35 am

Hahahaha! I feel like you should be super friendly and say “ay” a lot 🙂 . Some of my contests are open for my Canadian friends, but since I’ll be shipping these things, I made this one US only.

• Andrea McAnally September 6, 2018 at 7:40 am

Girl! You could do a whole post JUST of pics of Madeley grinning and I’d come back to read every day 🙂

• Aja September 6, 2018 at 7:43 am

Listen, I’m from Florida- land of stereotypes. And yes, I see alligators all the time, but never once in my swimming pool! 😂

• Michelle September 6, 2018 at 7:51 am

That stereotype thing-haha. I lived in El Paso for a few years, and there WERE cowboy boots everywhere. Everything about those few years felt exotic and wonderful 😀 for this gal from the Connecticut

• Tish Ferry September 6, 2018 at 7:57 am

I’m sure Madeley is loving the alone time with you! Such a sweet blessing! And give me all the cozy tops!!
    Simply Tish

• Gail September 6, 2018 at 8:08 am

Looking for a new book? Have you read “Before We were yours”? Loved this book!

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 8:34 am

Yes!!! It’s a good one!

• Andrea Hayes September 6, 2018 at 8:13 am

I was laughing at the Texas stereotypes🤣. When I was there last fall I saw none of them, hahaha.
    I will say that I wonder why (and I expected to hear more of them) some people have accents, and some, like you, dont??

• Heather September 6, 2018 at 8:15 am

You totally just crushed my dreams of Texas, haha!! No really, I would love to have some city and country life all in one! I live in the mountains of NC, so I only see one side! Hope we both see some fall weather soon!

• Mary Ann September 6, 2018 at 8:25 am

I grew up southern & cringe at actors (even southern ones- Reese Witherspoon, for example) trying accents. Some are better than others (Matthew Mcconaughey is pretty good real deal southern) , I suppose. And your description IS exactly a lot of Texas, just maybe not big cities/burbs like Dallas area. LOVE Texas! It’s also country of a lot of places: OK, NE, Wy, Co, Kansas, MS, Tn, Ky, AL, etc ha! Just not cities. I haven’t been everywhere but I’ve been a lot of places. You’re just a city girl, Shay! You could rock some cowboy boots, though!

• jette September 6, 2018 at 8:26 am

Try being from New Orleans – every.single.movie and/or television show ever produced has us all practicing voodoo on the regular! And none of them get our accent right either :p

Love your blog and glimpses into your family. Time speeds up considerably once kiddos are all in school. It’s true: the days are long, but the years are short!

• Jennifer Sawyer September 6, 2018 at 8:37 am

I’m a Red Sox girl too….and wear lots of tops…..where is your cute one with zippers from??? That store at Fanueil Hall??
    also Ozark 2 is soooo stressful…..only on episode 3 : )

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 8:45 am

It’s an oldie, but yes! I think it’s from Lucy’s League!

• Maria Blevins September 6, 2018 at 8:41 am

We love Ozark too!!!

• Rachel September 6, 2018 at 8:41 am

That looks like a military baton used by drum majors! PS, I live in Central California, HOURS away from the beach or Hollywood 😄

• Beth Valenta September 6, 2018 at 8:45 am

Shay…where did you get the cute Boston tank? I only get tanks now and I love that scoop neck.
    Ya know I am still buying since we are going all the WAY!

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 12:48 pm

I bought it several years ago at Lucy’s League in Faneuil Hall!

• Melissa September 6, 2018 at 8:50 am

We may or may not have binged Ozark on rainy Monday 🙂

• Ruth Ellis September 6, 2018 at 8:51 am

I’m from California, as in rural, ranching, mountains, blue skies, gorgeous lakes, hunting-loving people, California. Sometimes, when I tell people that I’m from Northern California they say, ” oh, San Francisco?? If I try to be more specific, insert glazed, confused looks that I can only interpret as, “places exist past San Francisco??” It’s even worse the farther east I go. People have literally asked, “you have mountains in California?” 🙂 We don’t all live on the beach in L.A.!!!

• Bri September 6, 2018 at 9:14 am

That front twist shirt is SUPER cute!

• Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams September 6, 2018 at 9:16 am

I love how Madeley wanted a brown bag lunch like the big kids lol. Sometimes I do too. Good to know those tops are on sale! I may scoop up another one!
    xo

• Lisa September 6, 2018 at 9:38 am

Ozark is filmed in my hometown…love it!! So you don’t like country music or own a pair of cowboy boots?? I will try not to hold that against you, you should seriously try a pair of boots though!

• Susan September 6, 2018 at 9:38 am

We live about 1 1/2 hours from Dallas in East Texas. That Texas is our Texas. Everyone in my family has at least one pair of cowboy boots…we just call them boots! We all have a pickup and cows are everywhere, as well as horses.

• Katy Ragsdale September 6, 2018 at 9:52 am

Loving that baton. 🙂

• Cathy September 6, 2018 at 10:27 am

I’m totally laughing at the Texas stereotypes. I was at Press Cafe in Fort Worth and watched a rancher feed the cattle, then drove about a quarter mile to Neiman Marcus. That’s just how it is here!

• Alison Coffey September 6, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Typical FW! My hometown…love press and Clearfork!

• Melissa September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am

Watching Ozark here too.. but we can only handle one per night! lol It’s more creepy/unsettling than the shows I usually watch — but so addictive!

• Keisha Dawson September 6, 2018 at 11:07 am

We are loving Ozark! We have two episodes left on Season 2! SO…DANG…GOOD!!!!

• Liz Wilmoth September 6, 2018 at 11:45 am

Just finished Parenthood! ❤️ Sounds like Ozark is next.

• Julie September 6, 2018 at 12:28 pm

I was wondering, what is that baby blue watch Kensington is wearing in the last picture of her? My 9 year old keeps asking for a fit bit for Christmas. Is that what she’s wearing? TIA.

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 12:47 pm

It’s a Garmin Jr! My kids love them so much!!

• Gale Johnston September 6, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Shay, I’m wondering if you would consider doing a post about the Garmin Jr. telling what exactly it is that your kids love about them so much. I’m always looking for gifts for my grandchildren, and I’m thinking this may be something they would like, but I would need to know more. I did read about it after seeing your reply to the comment above, but I’d love to hear how you and your kids use it.

• Mix and Match Mama September 7, 2018 at 5:29 am

I can!!

• Monica September 6, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Love these posts! What size are you wearing in the Gibson tops from Nordstrom?

• Mix and Match Mama September 6, 2018 at 12:47 pm

xsmall

• Erin Port September 6, 2018 at 1:46 pm

We live in Iowa and everyone assumes we farm. We perpetuate the stereotype too because we live behind a cornfield in the middle of a neighborhood in the middle of town!

• Jillian September 6, 2018 at 2:13 pm

I was in looking for a new show to watch and started Ozark, but it seemed so intense…. I am interested to pick it back up when I have more time to actually watch it. Which will probably be around the first of the year. I did see that Hallmarks Christmas movies start in 50 days! That will be here before we know it but I am really excited about their Fall Harvest movies this year. I did start watching Madam Secretary and I am LOVING it! About 5 episodes left in season 1, so I am hoping that the other seasons are just as great.

• Sara September 6, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Hi Shay! I used to live in Houston and then in Austin (but I’m not from TX). So when I was in Paris a few years ago, anytime someone asked me where I was from, I would tell them I lived in TX & without fail, they would say, “oh yeah, you’re a cowboy.” Or “Dallas? You have cows?” Because Dallas is the only city in the entire gigantic state?! So they stereotype even exists overseas. Ugh! 🙄

• emily September 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm

We just finished Ozark last night! So true about the stereotypes – we live in Las Vegas and I’m pretty sure people back home in Michigan are convinced I live on the strip. I promise Las Vegas is bigger than that 😉 (But our gas station does have slot machines inside, so….)

• Shannon L September 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm

For some reason I can’t get your links to work – the ones for the tops! Usually I don’t have a problem. Any ideas?

• Pamela Kennedy September 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm

I had to giggle when you were talking about how Texas is perceived. Big ‘ol cowboy hats, boots, etc.. I get the same thing in Arizona. Everyone thinks that we have nothin’ but cactus, stage coaches, gun fights, and saloons. Ha! …and dirt! Ha!

• Sherry September 6, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Would you ever do a tour of your bedroom with the walk-in closet? That room looks huge! I’d love to see the rest.

• Susanne September 6, 2018 at 6:02 pm

I live in Nashville. Everyone thinks all we do is wear cowboy hats and boots, work in the music industry, and are BFFs with stars like Garth Brooks and Carrie Underwood (I wish!). Couldn’t be further from the truth! I do say ‘yall’ a lot and love country music, so I won’t discredit all stereotypes!

• Brenda September 6, 2018 at 6:56 pm

Hey Shay! Just had to share as you just shared your recent Costco faves… I have a similar top to your last pic and I got it at?? You guessed it – Costco! I loved it so much I bought it in both black and navy. Maybe it’ll make a return this fall/winter! 🙂

• Bridget September 7, 2018 at 3:38 am

Haha it’s because we watched Friday Night Lights and loved the series SO much we just assumed Texas was like that….and then you do a post about going to the Friday night football game.. ha ha… I’m from Australia and none of us are at all like crocodile Dundee and nobody I know has EVER had shrimp on the bbq!!! … because we call them prawns!!!
    All in good fun though

• Adrienne September 7, 2018 at 10:40 am

I live in Northern New Jersey…talk about stereotypes. We are always hearing the “NJ is the armpit of America” or the Jersey Shore stereotype, and even those Real Housewives. New Jersey is absolutely beautiful and I personally do not know anyone who was born and raised in NJ that actually speaks or looks like they do on those TV shows.

• Katy September 8, 2018 at 11:02 pm

I think DFW, Houston, and Austin aren’t like the rest of Texas….I’ve lived in west Texas for the last 12 years and my family is from east Texas and it’s pretty much exactly like the stereotype. 😉 I love it though! We’ve got to have some big cities to keep us current, haha!