Top Three from Back in the Day!

In February, I shared my TOP THREE (fill in the blank).  It’s everything from my favorite things to order at Starbucks, meals to bring new moms, to places to eat in McKinney and so much more!  One of you sweet blog readers commented on that post and suggested I do a TOP THREE for when I was younger (waaaaaay back in the day), so that’s what I’m doing today!  I asked you guys on Thursday for some questions and then filled in with a few of my own.  I thought way back to the 90s (so long ago!) and tried to remember my answers 🙂 .

Here I am going to prom in May 1999.

This picture makes me happy and sad all at the same time.  I am extremely close to my grandparents and my granddaddy absolutely wanted to be there for pictures before I headed off to prom.  He’s only 64 here, but the chemo and cancer made him look much older.  He passed away August 10th right after that.  It’s such a blessing to me that he got to be there.  And side note, why does my grandmother not age?  Like at all.

Crank up NSYNC with maybe a little Backstreet Boys too, here are some TOP THREES from back in the day.  I answered all of them like it was high school (1996-2000).

FAVORITE TV SHOWS
Friends
ER
Mad About You

FAVORITE MOVIES
Legends of the Fall
One Fine Day
A Walk in the Clouds

FAVORITE BOOKS
Why can’t I remember a single book I read in high school???

FAVORITE PLACES TO EAT IN IRVING (where I grew up)
Crystal’s Pizza (Irving people are cheering right now!)
Applebees (because that’s where you hung out after football games)
Chili’s (I ate so much Chili’s while living in Irving that I can’t even stomach the sight of it any more)

FAVORITE SUBJECTS IN HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE
French
English
Geography

FAVORITE EXTRACURRICULARS
I was 1st Lieutenant of the drill team
I loved being on Student Counsel
I was very involved in my church’s youth group

FAVORITE MEALS MY MOM MADE
Brisket
Meatloaf
Quiche (she made a great quiche for dinner that we would eat with a green salad)

CELEBRITY CRUSHES
Keanu Reeves
Brad Pitt
Matt Damon

TOP THREE PLACES TO SHOP
Abercrombie
5-7-9 (Does that even still exist???)
Old Navy

THREE THINGS I ALWAYS HAD IN MY PURSE
My beeper baby (it was blue!)
I’m positive some sort of candy
Sunglasses

THREE TYPICAL MORNING BREAKFASTS
All sorts of cereal.  I would say that Grape Nuts with an unhealthy amount of sugar was often the breakfast of choice for me

FAVORITE DRINKS
I used to love a Slurpee…there was a 7-11 by my house, and I hit it pretty darn hard
Dr. Pepper
Dr. Pepper (I really liked it!)

FAVORITE  WAYS TO WORKOUT
I took dance for 15 years!
Running
I feel like that’s all I did 🙂

3 COLLEGES I THOUGHT I’D GO TO (I ended up going to the University of North Texas)
Texas A&M
TCU
USC

TOP THREE THINGS SEAN DID TO GET ON MY NERVES
We had to share a bathroom.  I could list 4 billion things off of this one thing right here.
He has a gift for making you feel stupid.  Really, it’s like a talent.
He knows what grosses me out…and uses it against me

TOP THREE THINGS SEAN DID THAT WERE SWEET
Okay, he did quite a bit that was sweet, but the top things I can think of are that he was always nice to my friends, he was always wanting to go to church, and he let me do his French homework for him…er, yeah, I guess that was me being sweet.  Sigh.

TOP THREE THINGS I WISH I KNEW THEN THAT I KNOW NOW
My husband did not go to my high school.  He’s out there, just not in Irving, TX.
Have more fun in college, pick the right college, make an effort to make friends/find a group in college because you have the rest of your life to work, why start when you’re 18 if you don’t have to?
Pursue passions that make you feel alive

TOP THREE FAVORITE BANDS/SINGERS
Michael Jackson
NSYNC
Aerosmith

TOP THREE THINGS THAT STRESSED ME OUT
Grades.  I made good grades, but it required studying.
I’m sure this wasn’t really a top three…but blowdrying my hair.  I used to painstakingly wash my hair and blow it straight, then use a straightener and maybe hot rollers. It was a hot and exhausting process that I did every day…and I doubt my hair even looked great. Ha!
Oh, I’m sure I should probably say boy troubles.  I pretty much had one boyfriend all through high school…probably should have ditched that guy and had more fun 😉 .

TOP THREE FAVORITE WAYS TO SPEND FREE TIME
I used to love going to the movies.  My parents are big “movie watchers”, and back in the day, I was too.
I have always loved having girlfriends and spending time with them.
Reading.  Like you’re shocked by that answer 😉 .

TOP THREE THINGS I’D TELL MY KID-FREE SELF
Get more sleep
Enjoy the quiet of your car
Never one time complain about how much laundry you have to do…for just yourself

Whew!  Okay, I am calling it a day!  This was so much fun!!  If you have any other ones, maybe I can answer them in the comment section.  HAPPY MONDAY, FRIENDS!! I will see you guys back here tomorrow!! xo

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog April 22, 2019 at 4:54 am

This is such a fun little activity to do! I’m surprised you can’t remember the books you read back in high school too… especially you, Shay, since you read so much now! 🙂

• Kristen Hardison April 22, 2019 at 5:13 am

What a fun post! And I’m cracking up that you accidentally put “Bratt” Pitt 😉😉😉

• Mix and Match Mama April 22, 2019 at 5:30 am

I did???? Hahaha! Correcting that now!

• Laura E Fredlund April 22, 2019 at 7:25 am

What a fun post 🙂 haha

• Keri Brown April 22, 2019 at 5:23 am

I loved A Walk in the Clouds!!!

• Mix and Match Mama April 22, 2019 at 5:30 am

Me tooooooooo!

• Paula April 22, 2019 at 6:54 am

How fun. Those were my college years.

• Kasie Miller April 22, 2019 at 5:50 am

This was awesome! Oh man, 5-7-9 and Grape Nuts with sugar were right up there for me, too. Good times…

• Narci April 22, 2019 at 6:02 am

Oh my gosh! How fun is this! I absolutely loved this post and your answers. 🙂

• Sheaffer Sims April 22, 2019 at 6:25 am

LOVED ME some 5-7-9! And totally lol’d that you had a beeper!!!!

• Erika Slaughter April 22, 2019 at 6:27 am

This was FUN to read!! I’ve never seen A Walk in the Clouds?? Should I add it to my list?

• Mix and Match Mama April 22, 2019 at 8:00 am

• Becky Przy April 22, 2019 at 6:38 am

This past week was brainstorming books my 9 year old daughter could read. I was reminiscing what I read in grade school–and could remember them all. I tried to think of what I read in high school and I could not remember one book!!! How is that possible?! I guess we had other things on the brain;-).

• Alexis deZayas April 22, 2019 at 6:44 am

This was so fun!!

• Melissa April 22, 2019 at 7:01 am

Loved looking back at your top 3! Many of them would be mine as well!

• Cortny April 22, 2019 at 8:05 am

I laughed out loud at the quiet car comment! And funny enough, my husband did go to my high school! Ha!

• Tracy Doubts April 22, 2019 at 8:10 am

Great post! Thanks Shay!

• Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams April 22, 2019 at 8:12 am

I loved student council too! It was such a great way to be active in school. Your wish I knew then is spot on! That time of our lives was definitely a time to explore passions/enjoy some of the freedom we had. Great post Shay!

• Tammy M April 22, 2019 at 8:13 am

Great article! Legends of the Fall!…so good… Still a favorite! 😊

• Nikki April 22, 2019 at 8:18 am

Legends of the Fall is still one of my favorites! It was on TV several times this weekend, and I kept catching bits and pieces of it. And, my only child will be heading to UNT this fall (from Kentucky!)

• Mix and Match Mama April 22, 2019 at 9:18 am

Ah!!! Go Mean Green!!

• Taylor R April 22, 2019 at 8:37 am

Thank you for sharing! I forgot that 5-7-9 existed until you mentioned it. I distinctly remember shopping there with my mom and sister to find a pair of gaucho pants. Hahaha!

• Allena April 22, 2019 at 9:59 am

I was just telling my 9 year old about Legends of the Fall this weekend – how I saw it in middle school but it was rated R and a friend’s dad bought us the tickets and I got in SO much trouble when my parents found out but I just LOVED IT SOOOO MUCH I DIDN’T CARE AND THEY COULD PUNISH ME ALL THE WANTED IT WAS WORTH IT! (We were having a conversation about getting in trouble…because he got in trouble at school ha).

• Emily April 22, 2019 at 10:21 am

I loved watching Legends of the Fall! It’s how I came to love the name Tristan because that was Brad Pitt’s name in that movie. I tried and tried to convince my husband to name our son Tristan. I’m currently holding our son Zander in my arms. 😉

• Alison Trauger April 22, 2019 at 10:39 am

That was fun to read! My HS years were 95-99, so many of those likes were very familiar! I mean, 5-7-9?! My favorite place to shop for jeans. 😛 Although, my biggest laugh were the things that Sean did to annoy you. Your statement “Really. It’s like a talent.” LOL. I obviously don’t know him, but so relatable! Thanks for sharing!

• Mix and Match Mama April 22, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Really…he could list it on a resume 😉 .

• Diana April 22, 2019 at 11:35 am

I swear Dr. Pepper must be a Texas thing! My husband’s family all live in Texas, and it’s all about Dr. Pepper! They even use it as a word for soda in general! haha 🙂

• Hayes April 22, 2019 at 11:45 am

What was your favorite trip you took in high school?

• Mix and Match Mama April 22, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Hmmmm…we went to Paris when I was about to be a sophomore and it was the last trip that my grandfather was healthy (we had no idea he had cancer when he went…it was diagnosed shortly after), so that trip has a lot of special memories.

• Mariseli April 22, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Super cute!

• carol April 22, 2019 at 12:09 pm

such fun info!
    You have made reference over the years that you did not enjoy college…can you elaborate on that sometime? I had a blast in college………my friends and I still howl over some of our antics.

• Mix and Match Mama April 22, 2019 at 12:13 pm

I had three problems in college: 1. I picked on too close to home 2. I had a boyfriend at the time that had already graduated (so he wasn’t interested in all of the fun, college stuff any more) and 3. I worked too much instead of joining clubs and having fun.

• CATHY Boulanger April 22, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Funny. I feel the same way. I stayed home for university (quite typical in Canada). I kept my same friends, same part time job etc. I ran in, did my classes and that’s it. I can’t say I super regret it. I got my degree in 4 years and started teaching – which was my goal. But my oldest is in second year uni and lives at home and I did encourage her to invest more in univ life and she did and she is having a blast!

• Amy April 22, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Yes! Crystal’s Pizza..! Haven’t thought of that place in awhile. I’m not from Irving, but my husband introduced me to Crystal’s Pizza when we were dating in college. Loved to take his little niece & nephew there to play games…loved all the different “themed” rooms. My fave was the little theater where they had a constant stream of “Speed Racer” cartoons running.. 😍😉

• Elisabeth April 22, 2019 at 1:00 pm

What a fun idea for a post! I’d love to “steal” it and do this on my own blog 🙂

• Carol April 22, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Your Grandmother hasn’t aged. Her and your Mom are beautiful ladies. You should do a chat with them so they can share their secrets.

• Dana April 22, 2019 at 9:47 pm

No Joe’s Coffee Shop? It was a sad day when Crystal’s closed. I was in the class of 1996 at Irving High School.

• Mix and Match Mama April 23, 2019 at 8:55 pm

So fun!! I remember Joe’s!

• Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World April 23, 2019 at 11:33 am

5-7-9 – OMG, I am cracking up right now! I used to LOVE that store and none of my friends remember it! I don’t think they exist anymore! They had great stuff, though!

• Jennifer Bethune April 24, 2019 at 5:53 am

Fun post! I have so many of the same likes as I was in H.S. ‘96-‘00. Go Mean Green! We might have passed each other as I was there too. Another great movie was You’ve Got Mail…loved that one! Only book I really remember was The Count of Monte Cristo. Probably because I really liked it! Had a huge crush on Ben Affleck! I even took a huge poster of hi with me to church camp. 🤪 Again, fun post to make you think back!