This and that.

Happy Friday, friends!

Today is a whole random assortment of a little this and a little that.  We’re spending a few days in San Antonio with the Slaughters savoring those last minutes of summer.  I hope you guys have a great weekend!  Here’s what we’ve been up to…

On Friday night, we went to The Star in Frisco to celebrate Erika’s birthday!  If you haven’t been to The Star, you should really check it out.  Remember when we went at Christmas?  It was so FESTIVE! It’s a great place to eat and let your kiddos run around…

…just look at all of that turf!  Perfect for the kiddos!

These three 🙂 .

Eleven out of twelve were super happy at the end of the night 😉 .

I wore my new favorite necklace on that day!  Oui!  Isn’t it so cute?  Narci gave it to me 🙂 .  It’s from Stella & Dot.  If you don’t have a rep already, you should reach our to her!!  My romper is HERE.

On Saturday, the little girls had a playdate with two other sisters and Smith and Andrew had some errands to run, so Kensington and I took advantage of the rainy day and…

…got tea at Starbucks and then…

…went to Hobby Lobby to get some canvases to paint (she loves doing that!) and look at pumpkins.  Guys, when did she get so TALL?!

On Saturday night…

…we had dinner with my mom’s side of the fam 🙂 .  The kids were super excited that this stuff was outside of the restaurant!

All smiles on the pony!

I just love my family!

I was looking for Frenchie the other day…and found her.  Frenchie LOVES Ashby.

Okay, my friend Brooke texted me and told me to buy this top because it’s the PERFECT transition piece…

…and she was right!  It’s Amazon guys and under $20!  Bonus, it comes in a gazillion other colors too (I bought mauve red).  The color and the waffle weave look “fall” but the sleeves and the material are light enough for the warm days of September.

I paired it with those earrings I love, those tanks I love and my new booties.

Look out fall, I’m coming for you!

Sunday mornings call for homemade muffins and fake glasses.  This kid.

18 Back To School Breakfast Bites

Looking for some BACK TO SCHOOL BREAKFAST BITES?  I have some for you today right HERE!

And finally, tomorrow marks 20 years since my sweet grandfather went to be with Jesus.  I could not let the date pass without acknowledging it.

This is the picture I keep on my desk of the two of us October babies.  His birthday was the 22nd and mine is the 25th.  This picture was taken on my 16th birthday…just about two weeks after he was diagnosed with lymphoma.  This was right before he started treatment.

This picture was taken the night of prom about 18 months later.  He was so sick, but so very determined to be there.  He passed away a few months later.  The night before he passed away, I drove to the hospital to visit with him after drill team practice.  He was so energetic…he looked the best he had looked in months, we were watching a Dallas Cowboys pre-season game, I was filling out some ACT paperwork and we were chatting up a storm.  He handed me this bottle of lotion and told me that someone dropped it off for him but that it smelled girly so I could have it (I still have it to this day in my bathroom).  I didn’t leave until dark (so probably around 9:00) and went home.  The next morning, I was back in drill team practice (summer practice before the school year started), and I’ll never forget my dad walking into the high school gym wearing khakis and a yellow shirt. The minute my dad walked in, I knew.  I grabbed my stuff and followed my dad to the hospital.  He passed away that afternoon with all of us by his side.  He was 65.

Two weeks ago, Andrew and I took the kiddos to “visit” his graveside…

He has a spot next to his grave with a bench.  On one side, it has his kids’ names and on the other side it has his grandkids’ names…

I think he would be so proud of these four great-grandkids of his 🙂 .

One last thing, my grandfather wrote his own obituary (so sad), and my grandmother kept the original and then gave me a copy.  I also keep it pinned up on my desk and look at it every day…

…it’s the very last line of his obituary.  Twenty years…and I miss him just as much today.

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog August 9, 2019 at 4:56 am

Really enjoyed this post! Loved seeing your old photos too! 💕✨

• Kristen Thompson August 9, 2019 at 5:11 am

What a beautiful tribute to your sweet grandfather! He sounds like such a wonderful man! In a couple of days it will be the 6th anniversary since my beautiful gram passed away and it feels like yesterday! These anniversaries never get easier but it is such a special time to remember all the great memories with them.

Hope you enjoy this last weekend before school starts for your kids!

• Carly August 9, 2019 at 5:46 am

My grandparents lived with us my entire life. They are special people and I, like you it seems, am so grateful for knowing them. Doesn’t make it any easier on missing them though. Love that you still have the lotion!

• Dana August 9, 2019 at 5:54 am

Oh, wow. Crying over here! He seemed like such a sweet man. What a family you have, Shay!

• Kara August 9, 2019 at 6:02 am

Thanks for sharing that about your grandfather-so sweet

• Haley Hopkins August 9, 2019 at 8:31 am

Brought me to tears. His line to you is a true reflection of your life and through your adoptions. No dream is too big. Much love.

• Sarah Shaneyfelt August 9, 2019 at 6:05 am

Oh Shay, I teared up reading what your grandfather wrote in his obituary! I know exactly what it’s like to miss a grandparent who passed away years ago. My grandmother passed away when I was 13 (I’m 31 now) and I miss her still so much because I was so close to her as a child. I know he is so proud of you!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Beth Knecht August 9, 2019 at 6:15 am

So touching Shay! Aren’t grandpa’s the best?! Wish both of mine were still here, but I know I will get to see them again one day!

• Kristen Hardison August 9, 2019 at 6:17 am

That obituary 😭😭😭😭

• Julie Connelly August 9, 2019 at 6:30 am

I have that waffle knit tank & I love it!!! The material is light enough that I wore it in Disney World a couple weeks ago. I am thinking of you today as you remember your grandfather.

• Narci August 9, 2019 at 6:30 am

That line of his obituary is so very sweet. What a great man he must have been!

• Sheaffer Sims August 9, 2019 at 6:33 am

Well, the tribute to your grandfather gave me a lump in my throat. 65 was way too young. I love that he was so determined to see you off to prom. So sweet.

• Kathy August 9, 2019 at 10:53 am

Your beautiful words and pictures of your grandfather are so touching. I also had the best grandparents, and very special relationships with them. Like you, I’m very thankful for the memories, and know we will be reunited again one day. The last part of your grandfather’s obituary choked me up. I never thought about someone writing their own obituary, including me, but it’s so very special that your grandfather gave you something you will always treasure.

• Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams August 9, 2019 at 6:34 am

Aww enjoy these last few days of summer for you! What an amazing Grandfather you had! I’m sorry for your loss all these years later.

• Angela Ellingson August 9, 2019 at 6:38 am

Oh my goodness. My heart aches looking at the pictures of your grandpa and reading those stories about him. He loved you so much!

• lindsay August 9, 2019 at 6:40 am

You seem to have had a really sweet relationship with your grandfather. That is so special. He definitely had a legacy that has lived on.

• Ann August 9, 2019 at 6:43 am

What a precious gift to have that from your grandfather.

• CampDallas August 9, 2019 at 6:54 am

Oh Shay! I am thinking of you today. The note from him brought me to tears. He sure was right! ❤️ I was incredibly close with my grandmother and like you, I treasure the memories and vividly remember the day she went home to be with Jesus. I have a note she wrote me when she sent me a little cash when I was in college “…thought you could use a little treat while studying so hard for finals. Love you!” Sending a big hug your way.

• Cherry August 9, 2019 at 7:05 am

What a sweet, sweet legacy your grandfather gave you! And beautiful, life affirming words he “spoke” over you! BE ENCOURAGED in your memories of his dear love for you!

• Heather Stanton August 9, 2019 at 7:09 am

My Grandma was so good at writing cards and letters to us all. A bit after she passed, i made a Christmas ornament for my mom and uncle (and myself) with the word “love” in her handwriting. It stays out all year long…I love to look at it. I’ll email you a picture of it!

• Katie S. August 9, 2019 at 7:24 am

Goodness, I’m in tears reading about your grandfather. I lost mine on March 1st of this year and even though I was blessed to have 31 years with him, there’s just never enough time. Thinking of your family this weekend! 💜

• Melinda Bridge August 9, 2019 at 7:41 am

My sister had a bracelet made with my Mother’s handwriting on it. I wear daily and is one of my favorite bracelets. The last line in his obituary would be perfect for a bracelet.

• LisaD August 9, 2019 at 7:45 am

What a lovely tribute to your Grandfather! I have the last letter my Nana ever wrote and it’s a treasure. She passed away 29 years ago and I miss her!

• Crystal McDonald August 9, 2019 at 7:58 am

Ordered that top! So cute!!
    What a sweet relationship with your grandad. I didn’t have grandparents.. well I’m sure I did but no relationships. I’m so thankful my children have close relationships with our parents. What sweet final memories for you! Praying for your day! ❤️

• Lauren Dello Russo August 9, 2019 at 8:05 am

You have me in tears this morning! Beautiful tribute to your grandfather. I lost my Grandma (Meme) 4 years ago and it’s still so hard to think about. We definitely have a void when they leave us, but remembering all the great times is beautiful! 🙂

• Taylor August 9, 2019 at 8:10 am

I am thinking of you this weekend Shay! My grandma passed away five years ago today & I miss her so much. I remember when my mom woke me up to tell me that she had passed in her sleep..I couldn’t believe it because as a kid you think your grandparents will be alive forever.

• Holley@BeeSimplyOrganized.com August 9, 2019 at 8:16 am

Shay, I’m sitting here crying reading about your Grandfather, what a noble and loving man. You were so blessed. I’m sure you’ll be finding wisdom from him and his life for years to come. And I have to say Kensington is so big! It warmed my heart to see the two of you spending some fun Hobby Lobby Starbucks time together! That’s my idea of perfection! 🙂 I can’t believe how grown up she is! I always think of my sweet girl Caroline (18 months old) when I see Kensington. I started reading your blog many many years ago when we were going through infertility and seeing you and K always gave me hope, I just knew I’d have my own baby one day and here she is! Thanks for sharing your family Shay!

• Janie Reinert August 9, 2019 at 8:20 am

Wonderful keepsakes from your Grandfather ! Thanks for sharing such a tender moment with us !

• Clare Butler August 9, 2019 at 8:20 am

Oh my goodness! Completely in tears after reading all about your grandpa. Love you friend!!!

• Kristin McGeeney August 9, 2019 at 8:32 am

that is so special to have that line of his obituary in his handwriting to treasure.
    my grandfather passed away when I was 16 and the last thing he said to me was ‘I will always love you, please know that’. I treasure that moment we had together as well.

grandparents are so special! have a blessed weekend!

• Julie August 9, 2019 at 8:33 am

So special what he wrote. What a treasure from your precious granddaddy.

• Elizabeth August 9, 2019 at 8:47 am

Oh my stars- the obituary is precious and how special! 😭❤️

• Joanne Hill August 9, 2019 at 8:53 am

Thinking of you and your grandfather and your special relationship! So glad you still have the lotion. My 14-year old daughter passed away suddenly 22 years ago and I still have things from her. Love all your pictures of your family and your cute town!! Have a great weekend!

• Shelby Hennigar August 9, 2019 at 9:00 am

Thank you for sharing. My grandpa passed away 34 years ago this summer (I was only 6). I have so many memories with him and miss him dearly. He and my grandma took me fishing, camping, etc and I spent almost every summer day with them!

• Meagan Ruse August 9, 2019 at 9:01 am

He would be so very proud of you!!!

• Bren August 9, 2019 at 9:05 am

Hugs, Shay. Thank you for sharing your precious memories of your grandfather. Your story touched my heart and I hope you don’t mind me sharing as your story reminded me of a similar story for my kids with their grandpa. I lost my dad coming up on 6 years ago. Was Avon a thing in Texas? It was here in the Midwest and my dad always had this mallard duck with cologne in it (from Avon, circa 1970 something) on his dresser. Our 17-year-old has had that duck since his passing and keeps it in a special place in her room. No matter the room redecorating we do – that mallard stays, a reminder of her grandpa. (Thanks for reading my story and as always, thank you for sharing your world with us.)

• Christin August 9, 2019 at 9:07 am

Reading about your grandpa brought me to tears. I’ve been reading your blog for a long time and have read of different struggles and loss you have had yet you are so filled with hope and resilience. What a gift this legacy of love.

• Dianna August 9, 2019 at 9:29 am

La Hacienda Ranch! We love that place! They have the best fajitas.

• Carol August 9, 2019 at 9:34 am

I was 12 when my grampy died…to this day it was the saddest day of my life.

• Sarah R August 9, 2019 at 9:43 am

What a wonderful man your grandpa was! His spirit definitely lives on. What a blessing to have that line in his own handwriting.

• Callie Friesen August 9, 2019 at 9:48 am

This bit about your grandpa passing made me cry. It’s so sweet that you still have his picture, the lotion, and his writing near you everyday. 💙

• Meredith C. August 9, 2019 at 10:08 am

Needed to see this today!! I’ve been lucky to have my grandfather with me until now (almost 30), and sadly his last days are upon us. We’re all here gathered around with him. Thanks for this reminder today that the love of our grandparents is so special! XO

• Taylor August 9, 2019 at 10:15 am

Shay! You just made me cry at my desk. What a beautiful tribute to your grandfather.

• Melissa Terry August 9, 2019 at 10:51 am

So precious…all the sweet memories you have with your granddaddy. I lost both by grandparents 18 days apart six years ago and my beloved daddy last year so I know how funny grief is sometimes. I’m so thankful to have had all of them in my life and for how they live on in so many ways. I am sure your grandfather would love and adore your sweet kiddos and think it’s wonderful you took them to his grave. Hugs

• Anna McMahan August 9, 2019 at 10:58 am

Oh my word, Shay. That line in your grandfather’s obituary brought me to tears. My grandmother died a few years ago right before my birthday. At the end of her funeral, they played a video of her singing me happy birthday, they had filmed it only a week before she died because she knew the end was so near. Your grandfather’s tribute to you reminds me so much of that special video my grandmother left for me. Until we see them again! ♥️

• Elspeth August 9, 2019 at 10:59 am

What a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. Enjoy the last weekend of summer!

• Brittany Higdon August 9, 2019 at 11:05 am

What a beautiful tribute.. I’m on a plane trying to hide the fact that I’m crying. Grandparents are so special. My Papa has been gone for 18 years and I still miss him terribly.

• Beth Friend August 9, 2019 at 11:26 am

Oh man, I just bawled like a baby reading about your grandpa. Mine passed in 2015, and I still miss him like crazy. About a month before he passed he was pretty sick and in the hospital. My parents were already down in Texas (we all live in Kansas City) and my husband and I went down a couple days later. My mom prepared me before going back that things weren’t looking great for him. I walked back into the ICU room and he looked at me and said “Hi Bethy” and squeezed my hand! I guess he hadn’t really been able to talk much until then. Thanks to technology, I still have all of his voicemails saved on my phone…all of them basically say the same thing. “Hi Bethy, it’s grandpa. Just calling to check on my sweet girl”. He truly was the best!

• Elizabeth August 9, 2019 at 11:37 am

And now I’m crying. A very sweet tribute to a wonderful man.

• Amanda @ That Inspired Chick August 9, 2019 at 11:47 am

And now I’m crying. Sounds like the sweetest man. xoxo

• Casey August 9, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Sharing what your grandfather wrote about you reminded me of what my grandmother wrote in her bible about her two grandchildren. So precious!

• Crissy August 9, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Thank you for sharing about your grandfather. He sounds like an amazing man.

• Liz Thorson August 9, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Eyes filled…what a dear man your grandfather must have been. Your relationship was so very special and close. It is quite clear he adored you as much as you did him. ❤️ I love all of the sweet pictures of your children having fun times as summer winds down.

• Bev August 9, 2019 at 12:42 pm

What a treasure he left you with those last words. 😥

• WhittyWife August 9, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Such treasures from your sweet grandfather! ❤❤ He clearly loved you so much. I’m thinking of you today as you honor his memory.

• GW August 9, 2019 at 12:57 pm

I just love God’s design for the family. Grandparents are so special. I’m happy for you and the relationships you enjoy with them. There aren’t many more fonder memories than those of our grandparents.

• Terry C August 9, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Your tribute to your Grandaddy just brought a tear to my eye. <3 We lost my sweet, fierce grandma this past Memorial Day and are planning to celebrate what would have been her 95th birthday next weekend.

• Ashley Brown August 9, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Reading about your grandpa brought tears to my eyes. It’s recently been 14 years since I lost my grandpa and I still miss him very much. I was a sophomore in college when we lost Pa and I’ll never forget getting the news that he had passed. I walked in the door at my parents house and my dad was wearing a yellow shirt and khaki shorts too. Tears were streaming down his face and I just knew. That moment is burned in my memory, but it’s nothing compared to the sweet memories I have of my Pa. Thank you for sharing, Shay!

• Kate August 9, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Hey, Shay! My friend and I were just recently in Texas for a softball tournament. We were staying about 45 minutes from McKinney, so we made a day trip down there. We had so much fun! We went twice we loved it so much!!! We ate at the pantry, it was so good!! (We ate there twice!) Both her, and I had the apple pie, and homemade ice cream! We ate at the yard, which was delicious!! Although our favorite was Mom and Pop Corn! Sooo good! We made sure to eat where you had recommended…that was a great decision! You had some GREAT recommendations!! Thanks so much!

• Kara August 9, 2019 at 2:34 pm

I’ve never commented on a blog before but I just wanted to say that the tribute to your grandfather made me well up with tears. That last line in his obituary is so beautiful. What a blessed and wonderful family you have. Thank you for sharing it on this little corner of the internet. It’s an inspiring example of the family I hope to build with my husband one day.

• Jackie August 9, 2019 at 3:04 pm

The line from your grandfather about you gave me a lump in my throat too, thinking of you and your family. XO

• Pam Zercher August 9, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Awww! Your grandpa was a hockey fan?!? That’s another awesome thing about him ❤️

• Whitney August 9, 2019 at 6:52 pm

My maiden name was Higginbotham. They’re from Oklahoma. Strange coincidence as it’s not a common name. What a wonderful thing to have so many memories and keepsakes from him. I cherish deeply all the things of my grandmother’s I have. Those connections are so powerful.

• Kacy M August 9, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Awwww grandpa’s are the best! My maternal one passed away last January and my paternal one is turning 96 in October!

• Lindsay D. August 9, 2019 at 10:03 pm

I lost my grandmother this year. She lived a beautiful 90 years. I was missing her so much today, so it was sweet to come here today to read your tribute to your grandfather.

• Christa August 10, 2019 at 10:40 am

My Dad was born in 1933 and will be 86 in September. My younger brother’s birthday is October 22. So sad to have our loved ones leave us. Beautiful tribute.

• Kim August 12, 2019 at 6:15 am

Ughhh that last part of your post hit me right in the feels this morning 😭 My grandpa passed away 7 years ago and this year I discovered I’m beginning to forget what his voice sounded like. That definitely made this anniversary harder than all the previous ones. Hugs to you as you look back on all the memories you have of him ♥️

• Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World August 12, 2019 at 11:19 am

Oh Shay, what a special man your grandfather was. You were so blessed to know him for as long as you did, and I’m so sorry he was never able to meet your babies. I know he’s up in heaven being so proud of you, though. You have lived up to his words in his obituary for sure. <3

• Morgan August 12, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Shay, I’m sitting here at my desk at work bawling over your lovely memories of your grandfather! Thanks for sharing. Grandpas are so special, aren’t they?

• Amanda Wilson August 13, 2019 at 10:02 am

😭 You have an amazing family Shay

• Jenn August 16, 2019 at 8:08 pm

You really have a beautiful family Shay. That ending line is so special. You are so loved.