You guys…it’s my favorite fall combination!!!
If you’ve never tried pumpkin and sausage together, what are you waiting for?!
They complement each other SO WELL!
Every year, I love to make savory recipes with a bit of pumpkin. I have Bacon & Pumpkin Pasta, Maple Pumpkin Sausage Balls, Chipotle Pumpkin Pasta, Pumpkin & Sausage Pot Pie, Perfect Pumpkin Chili, Pumpkin & Sausage Mac and Cheese, Pumpkin & Sausage Pasta, Pumpkin Bread & Sausage Breakfast Casserole, Pumpkin & Sausage Ravioli Bake, Sausage & Pumpkin Soup and now PUMPKIN & SASUAGE LASAGNA!
It feeds a crowd, you can make it ahead, it’s easy and just a little bit more special than average lasagna for your fall dinner. You will LOVE it!
Bonus, use gluten-free lasagna noodles, and it’s gf friendly too! Also, here’s a GREAT tip for using oven ready lasagna noodles. If you find that your lasagna noodles are too crunchy when you use the oven ready variety, simply pull them out of the box and soak them in cold water about 10 minutes before using. Basically, the whole time you’re making your meat sauce, soak those noodles. Shake off the water and assemble when it’s time to layer. Easy as that!
Happy Friday, friends! Enjoy! xxPrint
A delicious and simple fall twist on lasagna. It feeds a crowd and everyone will love it!
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of bulk Italian sausage
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin (we use Libby’s)
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (make sure it’s gluten-free, we like Morton & Bassett)
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- a few handfuls of fresh basil, torn
- about a cup of grated Parmesan cheese (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 box of oven ready lasagna noodles (we use these for our gluten-free noodles, *see tip below*)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease (I use Pam) a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- See note below about soaking noodles, optional.
- In a pot over medium-high heat, brown your beef and Italian sausage in a big drizzle of EVOO
- Once browned and crumbly, stir in your chopped onion and garlic along with a big pinch of both salt and pepper. Sauté about five minutes or until the onions are tender. Next, stir in your tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and pumpkin along with your Italian seasoning and cinnamon.
- Add in most of your basil (reserving some to garnish), reduce the heat to low and allow everything to simmer about 10 minutes. After that, you’re ready to assemble.
- Place a third of your meat mixture down across the bottom of your prepared baking dish. Next, sprinkle over a third of your mozzarella and your Parm followed by a row of lasagna noodles. Repeat once more. After that, spread the remaining third of your meat mixture down over the lasagna noodles followed by the rest of your cheese.
- Pop your lasagna in the oven and bake uncovered about 35 to 40 minutes or until the edges of your noodles brown up a bit and it’s nice and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit about 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Serve with a bit more torn basil.
Here’s a great tip for using oven ready lasagna noodles. If you find that your lasagna noodles are too crunchy when you use the oven ready variety, simply pull them out of the box and soak them in cold water about 10 minutes before using. Basically, the whole time you’re making your meat sauce, soak those noodles. Shake off the water and assemble when it’s time to layer. Easy as that!