Raise your hand if you’re looking for a super simple way to get dinner on the table this week?
(I’m going to assume all hands are raised.)
My Easy Weeknight Tex-Mex Chicken Bowls are the answer! On busy week days, I can just pop this in my slow cooker and forget about it until dinner time. My family can mix and match their bowls however they like and bam! Dinner is done 🙂 .
If you’re looking for a super simple weeknight supper idea, here you go! Your family can mix and match their toppings and bonus, it’s gluten-free too!
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup of your favorite mild salsa
- 1 (14 oz) can of corn (drained)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- a liberal pinch of both salt and pepper
- ½ cup white rice cooked and ready to enjoy per person (we love Trader Joe’s frozen Jasmine rice!)
- chopped avocado, red onion, cheese, sour cream to garnish, optional
- In your slow cooker, add in your chicken, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, corn, chili powder, salt and pepper. Give it a stir and cover. Cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low 6 to 8 hours.
- When you’re ready to eat, remove the lid and, using two forks, shred the chicken right inside the slow cooker.
- Take your bowls, add rice, add your saucy chicken mixture and garnish as you like (you can add a bit more salsa too!). Easy as that!
PS: If you’re looking for other super simple slow cooker recipes, here you go…