Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

I feel like I blinked and we went from the end of August to today.

This morning, I’m making my little ghosts and goblins pumpkin shaped pancakes (I bought Halloween shaped pancake molds a few years ago and they love it when I pull them out, but I totally think you could use a cookie cutter too!), everyone is heading off to school and then we’ll eat Ghoul-Ash tonight and trick or treat with friends.  I’m sure I’ll have loads of pics to share with you soon!!

If you’re looking for the perfect Halloween supper idea, make sure you click HERE.  I have so many choices for your spooktacular night!

In the meantime, I am going to take off between now and Monday!  I’m going to assume that if Halloween falls on a Thursday that means it’s a three day weekend, right?  Right!  I hope you have a safe, fun and festive day!  I’ll see you back here Monday morning!! xo

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 31, 2019 at 4:50 am

Happy Halloween! Have a great evening with the family, Shay! Can’t wait to see your recap! 🎃

• Reply Kami October 31, 2019 at 5:12 am

When do you normally put up your tree? I’m ready to decorate, lol!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 31, 2019 at 6:45 am

I honest to goodness think I might do it tomorrow. Typically, mid-November, but my family has been asking, so maybe I will?!

• Reply Emily October 31, 2019 at 7:11 am

Do it! No shame in putting your tree up in November. I like to decorate early that way I can relax and enjoy the holidays. Also, I’m guessing you saw that article about people who decorate for Christmas sooner are happier 😉

• Reply Chrissy October 31, 2019 at 7:56 am

I totally would if we didn’t host Thanksgiving!! Right after dinner, as the kitchen clean up crew is doing its thing, hubby starts assembling and puts up our tree. So at least we have twinkling lights by the evening! 😁

• Reply Narci October 31, 2019 at 5:36 am

Happy Halloween, friend!!!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims October 31, 2019 at 5:51 am

Have a great day with the fam!

• Reply Elspeth October 31, 2019 at 6:45 am

Happy halloween! I hope its a spooktacular day!

• Reply Sarah G October 31, 2019 at 7:29 am

Hi Shay,
    I was looking for new podcasts and came across the interview you did with Carly and Jade. I am so glad I did! Wow. I have to be totally honest with you and say, while I have absolutely no doubt in my mind you love your girls, and I totally get respecting their privacy and not sharing any of the not great details, I feel so much more connected to you and respect for you after having listed to that podcast. Maybe just how I am reading it, but on paper it doesn’t always come through, but that podcast had me crying! It was so clear how truly impactful the adoption experience has been for you and your entire family and I am so glad that Ashby and Madeley are able to be in such a loving family. They clearly seem to be adjusting well and feel comfortable being able to be themselves.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 31, 2019 at 8:44 am

Oh wow! I haven’t listened to it yet, but thank you so much for your kind words. They were truly delightful to speak with and I loved our conversation that day. xo

• Reply Kayla A Bruce October 31, 2019 at 7:55 am

Happy Halloween! We have several inches of snow (and more falling) here in WI, so it doesn’t feel much like Halloween. But I’m gonna take it as a sign to bring out our Christmas stuff this weekend!

• Reply The Patrick’s October 31, 2019 at 8:04 am

Happy Halloween! From our family to yours! My daughter is also dressed up as jasmine! Have you ever tried a tea called gingerbread? We got some last night to try since it was raining crazy yesterday here in Atlanta and it was really good! My kids loved it.

• Reply Sarah October 31, 2019 at 8:13 am

Poor Thanksgiving! 😂 {it’s like the middle child of holidays, lol} I’m planning to put my tree up too — afterall it’s snowing in Wisconsin! 👎🏼

• Reply Taylor October 31, 2019 at 8:26 am

Happy Halloween! It’s snowing here in St. Louis today. Very weird seeing my pumpkins and mums covered in snow.

• Reply CBass October 31, 2019 at 9:22 am

Hi Shay!
    Just letting you know that the HOLLY channel on Sirius XM starts tomorrow! My girls and I are pumped!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams October 31, 2019 at 9:31 am

Happy Halloween! I think a 3 day weekend is in order!

• Reply Kim October 31, 2019 at 10:47 am

It’s snowing in Wisconsin today and my seven year old looked outside and said Mommy it looks like a Hallmark Christmas movie. I’m thinking next year, you should wear your black wig and go as Marie Kondo.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 31, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Awe!!!! That’s so sweet! And yes, I could organize as we walked the neighborhood 😉 .

• Reply Tess October 31, 2019 at 10:56 am

Hey shay do your kids still drink milk? My three year old never wants to drink any thing milk related but I don’t know if that’s normal.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 31, 2019 at 12:27 pm

Smith and Madeley drink it every morning for breakfast, Ashby sometimes, Kensington if it’s in her cereal 😉 .

• Reply Cynthia October 31, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Monday YAY! Does this mean you’ll be live-blogging from Boston? I’m so excited for you girls!! Will keep an eye out for you at Joe’s!

• Reply Cambrie October 31, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Hey shay I have a question about Christmas in your family. I know it is a little early but I’m trying to get my shopping done early so I can enjoy the holiday stress free.
    1) can you do a post on some of the things your getting your kids for Christmas?
    2)Do you go to the store to pick things out? Do you just order online from amazon? Or do you shop at a box store like Costco for gifts?
    3) how much do you typically spend per kid? How many gifts do each kid get typically?
    Thank you so much! I am starting to shop for my 2 year old and This is the first year I have really shopped for them. The past two the are I have just got them a few small things since they were babies but this year they are into it.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 1, 2019 at 5:42 am

I sure can do a post like this, Cambrie!

• Reply Breanna November 1, 2019 at 10:01 am

I’m sure Shay has a well oiled system on this, but I really love the idea of;
      “something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read” + a Santa gift!

• Reply Halle October 31, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Hey shay have you ever rented a house for Christmas? If so what did you do for a tree?

• Reply Kennedy October 31, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Hey shay I have a baby name question for you. We are expecting a daughter. Her due date is December 23rd. My husband and I love unisex names. We love boy names for girls. Our last name is Ferry. We have two names we really like for a girl. We love double names too so both of these would be double names. We wanted to know which one you liked better. My husband loves smiths name by the way! He says if we ever have a boy it will definitely be named smith.

Option 1:
    Parker-Kate

Option 2:
    Merritt-James

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 1, 2019 at 5:41 am

Bad news. You’re going to need to have twin girls on December 23 because I love both!! I cannot pick! Coincidentally, two of my girls have those middle names 🙂 .

• Reply Kennedy November 1, 2019 at 7:44 am

Haha that’s what everyone is saying! Maybe we will just pick out out of a hat and save the other name for another baby. One question though do you think the name Merritt would be a cute girls name. I’m hesitant even though I love it because I have never heard it used before. Thanks the help shay! XoXO

• Reply Andrea October 31, 2019 at 11:52 pm

If you’re joking about decorating this early for Christmas, please don’t tell us because I am running with it! Also I will absolutely be blaming you when my husband questions why I’m doing it so soon! Merry Christmas!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 1, 2019 at 5:40 am

I’m not joking, and I would LOVE to not be the only crazy person with a tree up on November 1st 😉 .

• Reply Reese November 1, 2019 at 8:16 am

Hey do you think I could use Hemp milk instead of regular milk in your slow cooker hot chocolate one of my kids has a milk allergy. When I bake I usually sub hemp milk for regular milk no problem. ( my other kids pretty much just drink hemp milk also. So do me and my husband) so do you think it would work for the hot chocolate? I was going to make it tonight since it’s pretty cold here in Georgia.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 2, 2019 at 5:24 am

I’ve never subbed with that, but if you think it normally works well in lieu of cow’s milk, then give it a try and let me know!

• Reply Reese November 2, 2019 at 7:39 pm

We tried it tonight and it worked perfectly! Thanks! It had a really great flavor! I we loved having the nutty flavor from the hemp milk with the chocolate !

• Reply Jill November 1, 2019 at 11:46 am

Totally agree- Christmas season starts on Nov. 1st. One month is NOT long enough to enjoy all that pretty decor (nor justify how long it takes to put it all up😉)

• Reply Reese November 1, 2019 at 5:45 pm

Hey shay I have a recipe on your blog on The menu for tomorrow night. I picked a recipe called LESLIE’S MEXICAN CASSEROLE. I can’t wait to try it! One question though. Do you think I can use red beans instead of black beans? My kids don’t love black beans.

• Reply Posie November 1, 2019 at 6:12 pm

Hey shay do you have any chili’s that are guaranteed kids will like? We are having a Christmas party and there will be 10 adults and 5 kids. I thought chili was a easy meal for serving a lot of adults but I am worried the kids won’t like it. My daughter who is 3 loves chili but I don’t know about the other kids? Do you ever make kids that come over to your house for dinner separate food? Or do you just make one thing for both the kids and adults?

• Reply Posie November 1, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Also which chili recipe would you choose if you were making it for a party?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 2, 2019 at 5:22 am

I love making chili for a party because you can turn it into a “chili bar” and go wild with toppings and accompaniments.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 2, 2019 at 5:22 am

Have you tried my Cincinnati Chili? I think the “noodles” would really make kiddos feel like their eating spaghetti.

• Reply Poise November 2, 2019 at 6:06 am