Ohhhhhh…I love me a Sloppy Joe recipe!!
My family probably makes some version of the SLOPPY JOE at least once a week. From traditional to Taco, our Sloppy Joe Bowls, Stuffed Spuds, Pot Pies and so many more (they’re all HERE!), we love a Joe! On this night, I added a splash of both maple syrup and bourbon to the pan while it simmered away…and the result was fantastic! Maple is such a fall flavor…and sloppy joes are totally “back to school” food, so this is the perfect combo for your busy weeknight! Happy eating! xoPrint
The perfect combinations of maple and bourbon simmer together to create a delicious take on the Sloppy Joe!
- 1 pound of ground beef
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (use a good quality and not the imitation)
- 1 shot of your favorite bourbon (we use Maker’s Mark)
- burger buns
- chopped red onions to garnish
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown up your ground beef in a drizzle of EVOO until it’s crumbly. Stir in a nice pinch of both salt and pepper along with your garlic powder.
- Next, stir in your tomato sauce, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and maple syrup. Bring everything up to a simmer and then stir in your bourbon. Reduce your heat to medium and allow your Sloppy Joes to simmer together about 10 minutes.
- When you’re ready to eat, add a burger bun to each plate along with a scoop of Sloppy Joe mixture and then garnish with a bit of chopped red onions.
- You can eat these open-faced or with a top bun like a sandwich.
We are a gluten-free house, so we sub our burger buns for ones that are g-free. Our favorite brand is Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Buns (when they’re available!).