Tuesday Talk: Snacks

It’s TUESDAY TALK!

Once a month, I link up with Ashley and Erika (who host this fun little blog link up), and you blog about anything and everything.

In January, I blogged about HOW I’M USING ESSENTIAL OILS NOW
In February
I decided to blog about…THE FAMILY VALENTINE’S DANCE
In March, I encouraged women to share their businesses so we could SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER

And today, I would love to discuss SNACKS!

This post is really about kids’ snacks, but this quote is SO ME!

I love a good snack.

Okay, we have been talking about snacks a lot lately at our house because my friend Nikki started telling me about these amazing snacks she makes for her kids every afternoon, and I was all “Whaaaat, you make amazing snacks?”, and she was all “Um, yeah!”.  So, I asked her to start taking a pic every time she made one and send it to me…and they’re amazing!  She says that every day when her kids come home from school, she’ll have something special for them.  In one pic, it was strawberries with muffins, in another, it was these pinwheels she made out of crescent rolls with pizza sauce, banana peppers and leftover ground turkey, another day, it was kind of like a pig in a blanket but with turkey pepperoni instead…YUM!

My kids get like a Larabar.

Sooooo…I’m looking for other snack ideas.  Now, I make them breakfast, I send them to school with something hot in their thermoses and I make them dinner too, so I don’t super feel bad if they get a bag of goldfish or bar for a snack, BUT if you happen to have some super fun (and easy!) snack ideas, I’d love to hear it!  I personally love a little mid-afternoon snack (see quote above), and my go-to lately are some crackers with with good quality cheese, but I’m always open for snack ideas too!

Please comment and share!!

I’ll see you guys all back here tomorrow.  Have a great Tuesday!!!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog April 16, 2019 at 5:05 am

I’m the kind of girl who’d finish the snack while making it… can’t help it, haha! 😛

• Reply Sheaffer Sims April 16, 2019 at 5:35 am

My favorite snack is Nut Thins with a dip of light sour cream mixed with salsa. YUM.

• Reply Ahna @ Hammers N Hugs April 16, 2019 at 5:43 am

Go to after school snacks in my house are homemade muffins whose secret ingredient all include plain Greek yogurt (protein without the sugar). Also all about low maintenance snacking over here, so I make a variety of muffins in bulk and layer them in freezer gallon bags which will last for several weeks. Take one out of the freezer, pop it into the microwave for 20 seconds for a yummy, healthy homemade snack. Zucchini Carrot Cake, Peach Oatmeal, Chocolate Banana, Pumpkin Spice, and Blueberry Oatmeal are the favorites around here. Several of those recipes are on my blog (hammersnhugs.com) and some haven’t gotten there yet! Now I am hungry for a snack . . .

• Reply Cara April 16, 2019 at 5:46 am

When I was home full time, I always made a kid version charcuterie board: raw veggies and dips, cheese chunks, fruit and crackers. They LOVED it! And would eat every last bite.

• Reply Brandye April 16, 2019 at 8:29 am

Cara,

I did that as a stay-home mom too! But my kids are grown now and I didn’t know it had such a fancy name back in the early 2000s. LOL And, honestly, I only did it on days we weren’t running to practice/game/dance class.

Shay, I also put cream cheese on mini bagels for on-the-go snacks.

• Reply Carli April 17, 2019 at 11:32 am

I do this too! But I also add dried fruit, pistachios, salami/pepperoni/etc, and popcorn

• Reply Brianna April 16, 2019 at 5:59 am

My kids love roasted red pepper hummus and pretzels. I also make up veggie/fruit trays at the beginning of each week for them to snack on after school.

• Reply Jen April 16, 2019 at 6:12 am

My kids love when I make them banana muffins with peanut butter and chocolate chips in it or a snack mix with teddy grahams, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows!

• Reply Susy April 17, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Grape caterpillars on a stick with tiny candy 👀; Apple slice ‘grins’ with peanut butter.

• Reply Erika Slaughter April 16, 2019 at 6:15 am

My big question is what time do Nikki’s kids get home from school? My crew and I will be there! 😉

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 16, 2019 at 7:25 am

Bahahahaha!

• Reply Molly Kissel April 16, 2019 at 6:23 am

Those snacks your friend makes sound really good, but some of them would definitely spoil my kids’ dinner. We eat fairly early (5:30pm), so we do a lot of small, quick snacks. Apple or banana slices with peanut butter or almond butter are a favorite.

• Reply Allison April 16, 2019 at 6:27 am

My kids’ new favorite is apple slices topped with sun butter (or peanut butter) and mini chocolate chips. Fills them up since they are usually starving. I always say I am going to start serving dinner at 3:30!

• Reply Brooke Gehm April 16, 2019 at 6:28 am

Oh my gosh Nikki takes snacks to a whole new level. Her kids have it made. 🙂 air popped popcorn is a favorite at house.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 16, 2019 at 7:25 am

She legit does, Brooke!

• Reply DANIELLE K RIGG April 16, 2019 at 6:40 am

Morning, I know you have some casserole’s for Easter, Thanksgiving. I looked on your pinterest boards, I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a Brunch Menu. We are having brunch at our house for my daughter’s first communion. Your recipes are always a hit. Would love your ideas on how to make it even better & special. Our favor is honey & dippers…bee blessed. As honey was mentioned many times in the bible and was a treasured possession then. Again, any other suggestions for the menu would be awesome!!!!
    Making your macaroons for Easter…another hit. Thank you for all your great ideas.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 16, 2019 at 7:25 am

I love that you’re doing a brunch! I would make a big breakfast casserole (I have like 4 billion versions here on my site!), a big bowl of fruit, muffins, coffee and juice!

• Reply DANIELLE K RIGG April 17, 2019 at 6:46 am

Thank you…I have a bunch of your casseroles written down, now to figure out which one…The hardest part. LOL Love the muffin idea, instead of bagels. Thanks again!

• Reply Jennie April 16, 2019 at 1:23 pm

My kids are a bit older and at the super hungry stage of life. They want ALL of the foods for every meal. My son can eat an entire bag of microwave popcorn and still eat dinner. I’m no snack genius though I just offer fruit first before the much loved salty snacks. 😎

• Reply K April 16, 2019 at 6:53 am

These are some of my kids’ favorites!

And lots of smoothies! No real recipe, I just always use frozen fruit (whatever we have on hand), a banana, almond milk, and maybe chia seeds or something like that for added protein and fiber.

• Reply Jill April 16, 2019 at 7:00 am

My daughter is a bit younger than your kids 🙂 She’s 20mos. But her favorite snack lately is a cut up string cheese, a few broken up multigrain crackers, olives, and some cut up apple 🙂

• Reply Nicole April 16, 2019 at 7:01 am

I love to snack on a “mini charcuterie board”
    Or fresh fruit
    My boys are STARVING when they get home so I always have a plateful of fresh fruit/veggies and either a muffin, cookie or half pb sandwich ready to go

• Reply Tish Ferry April 16, 2019 at 7:05 am

I LOVE a good snack too! And my kids are always starving as soon as they walk in the door from school! We usually grab something quick – goldfish, graham crackers, apple with peanut butter, popcorn, pretzels, etc. Especially during baseball season because we tend to eat an early dinner around 5:00pm. My 17-year-old son, however, comes home and will have a sandwich, left over enchiladas, etc for a snack! Ha! He’s at the age of eating us out of house and home! Simply Tish

• Reply Laci April 16, 2019 at 7:09 am

My daughter is the queen of snacks! She would rather eat a snack than a meal.

• Reply Bonnie April 16, 2019 at 7:09 am

My kids love energy bites. Usually peanut butter, uncooked oats, honey and a handful of chocolate chips. Mix until dough consistency and chill in fridge for 30 min. Roll into small balls.

The possibilities are endless! I’ve added peanut butter chips, chopped pretzels, cocoa powder etc. I’ve even been known to hide chia seeds in there, too!

• Reply Jenn April 16, 2019 at 7:14 am

We go to Sprouts and each kid gets a bulk bad and we have a “make your own trail mix” party. They LOVE it. We also do a lot of muffins, different combinations of rice krispy treat, and fruit. I don’t make anything special daily, but I try to have something prepared for the week!

• Reply Jenn April 16, 2019 at 7:15 am

*bag 🙂

• Reply Sloan April 16, 2019 at 7:21 am

My mom always had apple and peanut butter for us as an after school snack. Our “family snack” is wheat thins with cream cheese and pepper jelly.

• Reply Stephanie April 16, 2019 at 7:47 am

Pretzels cheese and fresh fruit!

• Reply Beth Valenta April 16, 2019 at 7:52 am

A favorite of mine and still of my daughter is kabobs. I put out cheese cubes, grapes, grape tomatoes, etc. Anything that you can put on a stick. Fun way to create your own snack.

• Reply Gina April 16, 2019 at 8:01 am

I have older high school kids who come home from school very hungry. My oldest tries to cut out carbs too. Their favorite after school snack is chicken quesadillas. I purchase a rotisserie chicken from Sam’s and cut it up. I sprinkle with taco seasoning and heat the chicken in the microwave. I then assemble the quesadillas with chicken and a little cheese and toast on the flat top. One son adds a little sour cream and salsa after cooked. They are filling, easy and healthy.

• Reply Heather April 16, 2019 at 8:26 am

As my kids got older and into more evening activities, I ended up doing dinner after school and then an evening snack. I know it is weird, but it was the only way to fit in a good meal and then everyone was off in a million directions. This wasn´t every day of the week, but it did make the busy evenings a lot easier.

• Reply Angie G April 16, 2019 at 8:28 am

Does no one eat Little Debbies for after school snacks anymore?! 😉 #80skid!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 16, 2019 at 11:13 am

I just LOL!!!!

• Reply Shannon April 16, 2019 at 8:33 am

Frozen grapes! Dole’s frozen chocolate covered bananas. Frozen pineapple chunks. Apparently I have a thing for “frozen”!

• Reply Colleen April 16, 2019 at 8:47 am

We have food allergies in our house so I am exhausted just keeping up with cooking meals. I would really love to step up my snack game though because my 9 year old son is constantly hungry. He does love Epic steak jerky. If we could do nuts in our house, I would have a crazy big batch of homeade trail mix. We do lots of applesauce and a few safe bars.

• Reply Chrys April 16, 2019 at 9:01 am

Girl, you already do so darn much with your kids. Goldfish and Larabars sound just fine to me!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 16, 2019 at 11:12 am

Hahahaha! Thank you!!!

• Reply Callie April 16, 2019 at 9:02 am

Tortilla with peanut butter, granola, apples, and cruisers. Wrapped up like a burrito. Can be cut like pinwheels or just are like a burrito. So yummy!

• Reply Lara April 16, 2019 at 9:14 am

I have 15 month old twins, but something they like (now that it’s warm again!) and that I think older kids would like, too, are homemade popsicles. My mom bought them this cute mold off Amazon for Christmas and I’ve been freezing purees (to sneak in some veggies!), fruity applesauce and even orange juice in them and they’ll have a popsicle for an afternoon snack and sometimes after dinner, too.

• Reply Ranisa Brletich April 16, 2019 at 9:18 am

Sounds like you and Nikki need to get together and design a mini snack cookbook.

• Reply Rebekah April 16, 2019 at 9:28 am

Chips and homemade salsa is my go-to snack pretty much everyday. HAHAHA
    I make pioneer woman’s restaurant style salsa. In my opinion it is the BEST salsa ever. I make it in my vitamix.

• Reply Patty Anderson April 16, 2019 at 9:59 am

My favorite lately is Nut thins with Laughing Cow and homemade crack chicken salad on top. Yesterday I made little veggie fritters and they were really yummy, too!

• Reply Amy Bernards April 16, 2019 at 10:15 am

Shea! This is totally random but in your pantry post I saw all of your yummy cocktail mixes on the top… Just check the label… I am pretty sure they need to stay in the fridge once you open them! I only know this because we use the pina colada one often… 🙂

xoxo

• Reply Dana April 16, 2019 at 10:30 am

I just finished a bowl of a fun ‘spring’ trail mix- Annie’s bunny grahams, pastel peanut m&m’s and little pretzel balls (the grahams came in a sweet care package!). Normally I’m with you and I eat some type of cheese and crackers and if I’m especially indulgent that day, I’ll throw in a tiny cup of juice. Or collagen tea with a little cream- that’s another filling snack and has some nutritional value and protein, too.

On another note, 4:00 snacks used to spoil our kids’ appetites when we ate dinner at 5:30-6:00, they wouldn’t eat much, then they would be hungry at bedtime. Once we moved to France, we hopped on the ‘goûter’ train. Now our kids eat a snack between 4-4:30 and we eat dinner at 7:00. This way they fill their ‘starving’ tummies in the afternoon and we don’t have to make a second snack right before bedtime at 8:15. It took us a long time to catch onto this, but it has made our lives so much easier!

• Reply Claire Klein April 16, 2019 at 10:32 am

Mini pizzas made on naan breads work like a charm in our house! Easy to throw on a spoonful of sauce, a sprinkle of cheese, and whatever toppings you might have, then bake for 5 minutes! We like them as a good holdover between evening activities and dinner! 🙂

• Reply Lauren April 16, 2019 at 10:37 am

You could do the no-cook pinwheels as an easier copycat of your friend! A whole wheat or your favorite wrap, some low fat cream cheese, whatever veggies (I don’t but I suppose you could add cold cuts) the kiddos are into, roll and slice! Also, homemade chex mix is incredibly easy, versatile, and keeps FOREVER in an airtight container.

• Reply Allison S April 16, 2019 at 11:33 am

I’d like to chime in from the working mothers’ perspective…all these homemade treats ideas are stressing me out! Thankfully my kids are content with our pre-packaged snacks and choices of fruit when they get home. I’m not at home to make them treats.

• Reply Jen April 16, 2019 at 11:43 am

My kids get home around 3:40 and I get home from work at 4pm (my mom gets them off bus) and honestly at 4pm its too close to dinner time. If I want them to eat dinner around 6pm, I cant’ be giving them a big snack. So I usually do veggie tray (homemade, just like cucumbers, baby carrots or whatever i have) and if they are hungry I tell them they can eat those or wait until dinner. Plus, because they are getting their veggies in before dinner even happens.

• Reply Megan April 16, 2019 at 11:46 am

Triscuts, a little dab of pizza sauce on each, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, add turkey pepperoni on top, then crisp up in the oven or melt in the microwave! You can get really creative with a triscuit snack! I used to look forward to this as a child all the time 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick April 16, 2019 at 12:15 pm

We’re goldfish and Cheez-It’s all the way. 😂
    That Inspired Chick

• Reply Kelly Henderson April 16, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Instant Pot Popcorn .. my kids LOVE this more than anything else. Warm with melted butter and seasoning. Yummy

• Reply Julianne April 16, 2019 at 1:26 pm

So my kids (1 and 3) will eat almost anything if I call it a “snack” vs at a meal, so our snacks are primarily veggies! Frozen peas, green beans, and carrots are our staples. If it was their choice they would pick one of Costco’s fig bars every time (so good! Def one of my favorite snacks). Totally opposite of my elementary school day snacks – triscuit pizzas, milk shakes, and ice cream sundaes!

• Reply Sara April 16, 2019 at 1:45 pm

I make up little snack bags on the weekend and keep them in the pantry and fridge for the kids. They include: teddy grahams or animal crackers with dried blueberries or strawberries, pretzels with string cheese, homemade trail mix, grapes and cheese, and of course, goldfish. Sometimes they want yogurt parfaits (with berries and mini nutter butters or granola), tortillas with cheese, turkey or ham roll ups with pickles and laughing cow cheese and their new favorite is the Yasso greek yogurt pops. They love the strawberry but I prefer the mint chocolate chip! 🙂

• Reply Julie April 16, 2019 at 3:48 pm

I heard about these on the radio, and for my household, they were life-changing! Trader Joe’s has “organic corn dippers” and they are FANTASTIC! I don’t even like Fritos, but if you do, you’ll be obsessed with these. They’re like big Fritos (but better in my opinion) and you can eat with guacamole, salsa, hummus, or plain. My family cannot get enough of these. Maybe not the healthiest snack in the world, but so delicious! For me (not kids) I love the Sahale nut snacks…especially the orange bag.

• Reply Sandi April 16, 2019 at 3:51 pm

My kids are 16, 14, 14, and 11… I truly snort-laughed at the “My kids get like a Larabar”. I fix breakfast and dinner, they pack their own lunches and grab their own snacks. Maybe once a week I should switch it up and have something ready and waiting. Nothing like hanging around the kitchen island hearing about their day over a good snack!

• Reply Patricia April 16, 2019 at 5:24 pm

Bagged Skinny Popcorn … I hit it with some butter spray and a touch of salt. I’d really like potato chips but this is healthier.

• Reply Sara Cordell April 16, 2019 at 5:56 pm

My kids love apple cookies!! Slice apples really thin, top with cookie butter (Lotus Biscoff) and sprinkle with coconut flakes and chocolate chips! It should be noted that this happens like once a week. Then other days it’s slices of cantaloupe on a cookie sheet in the backyard 😉

• Reply audra wray April 16, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Chick fil a drive thru 😉

• Reply Chrissy April 16, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Riiiight?? SAHM here who considers English muffins a solid hot breakfast. A banana and a scoop of nutella is one kid’s favorite afterschool snack, and a mini bagel with cream cheese, is for my other. Mandarins are our favorite on the go snack.

• Reply Lisa D April 17, 2019 at 8:44 am

Trail mix and cut up fruit for a snack, I did that for many years and the 3 kids and their friends always ate every last crumb!. For a while my son would make a big bowl of blueberry yogurt topped with fresh blueberries and then topped with whipped cream. Bagels and cream cheese, cheese and crackers….

• Reply Brady April 17, 2019 at 9:36 am

Ain’t nobody got time for that! I get off work just in time to get kids from school and we usually have some kind of activity to get to by 6pm several nights a week. We do lots of super quick snacks. Popcorn, peanut butter crackers, an apple/banana, half a peanut butter sandwich, granola bar. Easy things! Every now and then I’ll make cookies or muffins the night before and let them have it for a snack when we get home. We eat dinner too early (5:30ish depending on our schedule) to let them eat big snacks! I was just watching a blogger’s instagram stories the other day and she was showing her after school snacks and I started feeling guilty that my kids don’t get snacks like that. And then I remembered that they’re healthy, happy, have a warm house to sleep in, a full pantry, parents that love them……and that’s far more important than having the “perfect snack.” You keep on with your Larabars!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 17, 2019 at 12:48 pm

I love you, Brady! Thank you!!