Workin’ It Wednesdays: The Cozy Home

It’s Workin’ It Wednesday!

The second Wednesday of every month, Erika and I host a link up where we talk about how we’re “workin’ it” in certain areas of our life (and then ask you to share your advice/tips/tricks on the subject too).

So far this year, we’ve discussed these topics:

January: Keeping our New Year’s Goals
February: Keeping our marriages strong
March: Balancing work and home life
April: Spring cleaning
May: Planning/prepping for your summer vacation
July: What you do on your weekends
August: Back to School Traditions & such
September: Transitioning Summer to Fall Clothes

and today…

MAKING YOUR HOME COZY.

This might be my favorite one of the year 🙂 .

Here’s the deal…I love nothing more than a cozy home.  I’ve said it here before…COZY is one of my very favorite words.  I even did a post on it two years ago, and I have a whole Pinterest Board dedicated to  “the cozy home” and another to “all things cozy”

So, cozy is my friend.

No matter where Andrew and I have lived (2 apartments, 2 houses and 1 rental) over the last 13½ years, I’ve always tried to make it cozy.  Here are some of my favorite ways (and let’s be honest, I learned them all from my mom and grandmother…they are the QUEENS of cozy living)…

1: Candles

My house always smells nice.  Even if it’s dirty.  Even if laundry is piled high on my bed.  Even if there are Legos all over the entryway rug…my house smells good and that my friends, makes me feel cozy.  I light a candle as soon as I wake up and blow one out right before bed (of course, blowing them out and relighting as I come and go during the day).  I just love to walk into a house that smells homey.

Here are some candles lit for my annual recipe exchange.  When it’s dark outside, nothing is more welcoming than the flickering lights of candles begging you inside.

2: Music

This one I for sure learned from my mama…we always have music playing throughout our house.  I turn it on every morning at 4:15ish when I wake up and turn it off before bed.  Growing up, we ALWAYS had music playing.  Always.  It’s not loud, it’s not obtrusive, it’s just nice music that makes you happy.  I hope my kids grow up and play music in their homes too.  Here are the four stations we primarily listen to without fail…

Steve Tyrell Radio is my favorite station on Pandora.  It plays a great mix of Standards (Sinatra, Martin, Fitzgerald, etc) along with current music that fits the era (Buble, Connick Jr., Krall, etc).

French Cooking Music is another favorite.  It’s just delightful to have on in the background!

During the summer, especially outside, we listen to Summer Oldies Radio.  Hello, Beatles!

And in my opinion, Michael Buble (Holiday) Radio is the best.  It plays everything you love that’s traditional plus other current artists singing Christmas songs.

3: Books

In my opinion, books make a home cozy.  Now, we have a large collection of antique books that we have bought over the last 13 years abroad (I mean, seriously…we have lugged more books across the ocean than probably any one couple), but just regular old novels and coffee table books make a house cozy.  We pretty much have a book sitting on every surface in our house.  We get books about places where we travel, books about art and architecture, books about history…and then you will find a novel sitting on any table by a comfy chair…because I JUST CANNOT READ ENOUGH.  We always write on the inside of our books the date when we purchased it and where we were.  I just think books make any house inviting.

4: Throws

Hi.  My name is Shay, and I love throws.  I am always cold.  Always.  I always want to cuddle with a blanket.  Always.  And I’m raising children who feel the same way.  We keep throws all around the house, so that you can always get cozy…

…cuddle up for a movie or a book.  There will always be a throw within reach.

5: Lighting

I get asked this question all the time and it always surprises me…people want to know where I get my little lamps.  I love lamps.  We hardly ever, ever, ever, ever turn on an overhead light.  Ever.  The kids all have lamps in their rooms that they turn off and on and the rest of the house is filled with them too.  I think one of the main things that can make a house go from uninviting to super inviting is the lighting.  Harsh, bright lights just can’t make anything cozy.  Warm, soft lamps though, do.  Of course, there are a few exceptions (you need good lighting in the bathroom and closet!), but even right now, as I work in my little office…I’m sitting at my desk with only the natural light from outside the window and my two office lamps.  And it’s cozy.

6: Warm drinks

A cozy home must include a hot drink, right?!  Whether it’s coffee or tea…a warm drink gets you in a cozy mood.

7: A fire

If you have a fire place, light it.  That’s the ultimate cozy.

8: Comfy seating

I don’t have a single coffee table in my house.  I have ottomans next to comfy furniture with places to sit drinks and a book.  I want to encourage coziness in every possible way.

So, that’s what I do to make my home cozy, what do you do?!?!  Please comment and share!!  I just love the thought of you ladies living in cozy spaces 🙂 .

Next month on Workin’ It…PLANNING FOR THE HOLIDAYS.  They’re comin’ for us, friends.  We better get ready!

If you blogged today, link up below!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 11, 2017 at 4:40 am

The fireplace just completes everything, sooo envious. How I wish I didn’t live in a tiny apartment! Your home is the textbook definition of cosy!

• Reply Courtney October 11, 2017 at 5:22 am

I 100% agree with everything you said. I would add pillows to the throws as well. I love pillows on beds, couches, chairs, and extra pillows in baskets!
    XO
    Courtney

• Reply Sarah October 11, 2017 at 5:27 am

LAMPS!!! That’s what’s missing in my house lol! I have a few, but I really like the idea of more. Your little lamp by your coffee area is so cute!! Our neighbors use a ton of lamps, and I will say, their house always looks so cozy at night!!

I also love a CLEAN house haha! To me, that’s cozy and relaxing 🙂 I cannot relax when the house is messy and cluttered.

Hope you have a wonderful day!!

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

• Reply Debbie Hibbert October 11, 2017 at 5:31 am

You should check out Scentsy … their scents are heavenly, the lighting is soft, and leaving it on is no worse than leaving on a night light. I’ve always been so afraid of leaving a candle burning when I leave my house, and now I live in a building that doesn’t allow candles. And seriously, their scents are beyond delicious! Even men comment on how good my house smells.

• Reply Elspeth Mizner October 11, 2017 at 5:34 am

So many good ideas! I never even thought of the music. A big thing I do to make my room cozy is by baking a lot especially if I’m having company over. I will have all the food prepared already but have the dessert or appetizer in the oven cooking so my guest smell food. I am definitely going to start lighting my candles too! Thanks for the tips

• Reply Laura October 11, 2017 at 5:42 am

Love this post! How do you reach the highest shelves on your bookshelves?!?
    My favorite cozy tip is to make sure things smell good! Whether that’s candles, potpourri simmering on the stove, wax melts, oils… I love walking into someone’s home that smells good.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 5:49 am

Andrew 🙂

• Reply jamie October 11, 2017 at 6:15 am

😂

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt October 11, 2017 at 5:42 am

I agree with a lot of your suggestions on making your home cozy!! Lamp light is so much more inviting than harsh overhead lighting. And I keep a basket of throws and blankets next to the fireplace for anyone to use if they get cold! I always use a blanket if I’m sitting on the couch!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Erika Slaughter October 11, 2017 at 5:45 am

Oh Shay! That front room with the fireplace is looking extra cozy! This post makes me long for the cool weather to stay!

• Reply Lindsay October 11, 2017 at 5:58 am

Hi Shay, what are your favorite candles? I also love a good smelling candle but have a hard time finding one that I can actually smell while its burning. Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 6:00 am

Circle E Candles and Bath and Body Works (big bangs for the bucks!)

• Reply jamie October 11, 2017 at 6:17 am

do you go to the INSANE once a year 3-wick candle sale at B&BW when they are $8 and you can use #allthecoupons??!?!!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 6:28 am

• Reply Laura October 11, 2017 at 8:15 am

I NEED to know more about this trick…please share.

• Reply KimW October 11, 2017 at 5:58 am

I could not agree more about candles – love the look of them, the smell of them, and I just think it sets a cozy mood! Same for the music!

• Reply Rae Keefe October 11, 2017 at 6:01 am

Salt lamps are my favorite!!!! They are so relaxing and clean the air too. My kids have them in their bedrooms and we have several throughout the house. They put off a beautiful soft pink glow that is so cozy!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 6:29 am

We have four!!! Each kiddo has one in their room and we have another one upstairs in the family room. They’re from saltopia.com 🙂 .

• Reply Casey October 11, 2017 at 9:20 am

I’m totally jumping in on your comments but I’d love your thoughts on salt lamps. I’ve been wanting to get one but wondering if it makes a difference? I’m a total skeptic ha but they look cozy if nothing else :). Love your post…cozy is my love language if that’s possible ❤️

• Reply Arabella October 11, 2017 at 6:04 am

I Adore this post! Many of the things you do, so do I. It’s 5 in the morning and I Almost feel like getting up, lighting candles, brew a cuppa and light my candles 🙂

• Reply Stacy October 11, 2017 at 6:08 am

Lamps!! I need them — candles I like very Kelli scents ones that are not to powerful — what’s the best candle ?

• Reply jamie October 11, 2017 at 6:14 am

oh golly i just love this topic! i incorporate several of these things into our home. just this morning i was in the kitchen with my quiet lights and jazz music playing as i was making lunches and breakfast. my boys {husband and 13yo} come down and turn on the overhead kitchen and dining room lights and said {uhhhhk that is so BRIGHT}. i love all your ideas and will ponder how to add the rest. it’s raining here in michigan almost all day. that’s cozy!

• Reply Lori Bran October 11, 2017 at 6:15 am

Shay, the next time you visit NYC, you have got to come visit us in Connecticut. There is NOTHING in the world as cozy as a CT neighborhood in the fall!!!!

• Reply Bethany October 11, 2017 at 6:17 am

Candles and music are huge cozies for me!

• Reply Cori October 11, 2017 at 6:20 am

I saw your pumpkin spice tea propped up there! You made me obsessed with the cinnamon one. Do you think it has that richer flavor like that, or more subtle like the Paris?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 6:28 am

Richer!

• Reply Narci October 11, 2017 at 6:20 am

Oh, I just love all of these tips!! Your home is always one of my favorites to visit! And, your book collection is amazing, friend!!

• Reply Sharon October 11, 2017 at 6:21 am

The other thing that I find makes a home cozy is family pictures, hand made pieces, kids’ creations throughout the house. Area rugs that dampen noise/echoes really help as well.. I find “echoey” houses very uncozy

• Reply Carly October 11, 2017 at 6:22 am

Love this post! Although making me not want to go to work! The tip about lamps is my favorite! Have a blessed day!

• Reply Karen October 11, 2017 at 6:37 am

Your house is gorgeous! The decor is perfection and I love all the natural light in every room! I wish I could properly display pillows and throws 🙁 I buy them and they end up looking like a child’s tent fort!! I don’t know if you’d consider this cozy but I love to display tons of photos of family and friends around the house!!

• Reply Cori October 11, 2017 at 6:38 am

What scents from bath and body do you love? I get so overwhelmed at the store! Sensory overload, and sometimes I love them there, and hate them at home.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 7:28 am

All the fall scents! I burn them year around!

• Reply JoAnn October 11, 2017 at 6:40 am

How do you look up pandora stations like that on your sonos? (It looks like you have sonos like we do, but I can’t figure out how to do pandora stations?!) 😉

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 7:28 am

It’s one of the sound options! You can play anything through your phone (iheartradio, songs off of your music list, etc).

• Reply Tracie October 11, 2017 at 11:03 am

I think it’s easier to create a Pandora station on my computer then adjust it through the sonos app with the thumbs up and downs.

• Reply Nicole October 11, 2017 at 6:40 am

I grew up in a house with music always on ( often with my mom singing) books and candles
    (Both my parents have passed away )but I feel closer to them by repeating these traditions in my home , & even though it’s small (1,200 sq ft 1950’s ranch) every one says its “cozy”

• Reply Patti October 11, 2017 at 6:48 am

Just ordered some circle e candles from their website. I love a nice smelling home. Thank you for the wonderful blog you have created!

• Reply Jill October 11, 2017 at 6:50 am

Just curious what you listen to your music on? Phone? Stereo? Want to add this cozy piece to my home but haven’t found a convenient way to do it!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 7:28 am

We have a sound system in our home, but before that in other homes, I used an good old fashioned CD player with speakers in the main room.

• Reply Kim October 11, 2017 at 12:16 pm

I really miss using the good old fashioned CD players and this post made me realize how much I miss hearing music playing in my home. My mom always played music growing up and I did in my home too until everything got so high tech. I think I’m gonna have to work on that. Music can instantly set the tone and mood in a place. Thank you for another great post and reminder to live well and cozy.

• Reply Alexis deZayas October 11, 2017 at 6:53 am

I always having a candle burning too because it makes me happy even if things aren’t picked up! Love the idea of collecting books from different places. Going to have to try that tip!

• Reply kathy October 11, 2017 at 7:03 am

I know what you mean by creating a cozy space. Home is a place where our family should come home and just feel happy and loved. All of those little things mean so much. I love posts like these. I do the same things:)

• Reply Angelique at FourPointsMom.com October 11, 2017 at 7:04 am

As always, I love your cozy home! I love the lamps all over your house, but I have a question for you. Our house doesn’t have floor plugs in our family room and we don’t have any furniture pushed against the wall (nor would it make sense to do so). Do you know of any large, battery-using lamps? I REALLY would love a lamp on both of my side tables!

• Reply Constance October 11, 2017 at 7:09 am

Love. This. So warm and cozy!! This is so random… but how do you like your nespresso? Do you like it more than the keurig? Is the taste the same? And how about selection of pods?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 7:27 am

They taste totally different, so I use both depending on what mood I’m in. Andrew only uses Nespresso 🙂 .

• Reply Paula Romer October 11, 2017 at 7:10 am

Shay, I absolutely love this post! You nailed the feel of the Danish word “Hyggue” (spelling?) which means cozy! It was such a thing on the blogosphere last year… You truly have a warm, welcoming and cozy home. Enjoy feathering your nest during this wonderful holiday season! Right now I’m loving my fall garlands entertwined with soft Amber lights above my mantle. It looks so soft and cozy!

• Reply Maria Zandri October 11, 2017 at 7:14 am

Twinkle lights and diffusers! I have diffusers with dōTERRA essential oils going constantly. They give a soft, warm glow, come in tons of different styles and the oils provide a health benefit too!

• Reply Amanda Klein October 11, 2017 at 7:22 am

Have you read up on hygge?!? It’s basically the Danish art of being cozy!! All about big cable knit blankets and pillows and lit candles… I think you are just automatically, naturally hygge!! Cheers!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 7:26 am

I have!! I’ve read two books on the subject this year!!

• Reply Emily October 11, 2017 at 7:23 am

Hi Shay!
    I love this post. What are your favorite scents for candles? Do you change them by season?
    Also, have you tried essential oils? Might be a good alternative so you can leave it running all day and don’t have to worry about it when you leave.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 7:26 am

I typically use only warm scents (vanilla, apple, cinnamon and such). I love lemon too 🙂 .

• Reply Brooke October 11, 2017 at 7:23 am

My love language!! Thanks for sharing Shay!

• Reply Linda October 11, 2017 at 7:27 am

I have a similar living room arrangement, the furniture is off of the walls. Which lamps have you found to keep from cords being in the walkways?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 7:29 am

We have floor outlets.

• Reply Karen October 11, 2017 at 10:49 am

Linda,
      We are currently building a home with a concrete slab. There are no floor outlets in the living room and the furniture will need to float. I had no idea cordless lamps existed!!! Google them…..I have found quite a few nice ones on houzz.com.

• Reply Paige Sullivan October 11, 2017 at 7:32 am

I love when people walk in my house and tell me it smells good! My favorite to use- especially now that it’s fall- Williams Sonoma’s Mulling Spices! I simmer them in a tea kettle (that I don’t use for tea – looks nice on my stove) in the afternoon when I am in the kitchen or after dinner when I am cleaning up. Instant homey!! 🙂

• Reply Laura @ Laura Likes Design October 11, 2017 at 7:32 am

I agree with all of these — my favorite ways to make our home cozy is to have lots of lamps, candles, and soft music! It makes such a difference!

• Reply Justine @ Charm City Ciemny's October 11, 2017 at 7:37 am

Tons of good ways to make a home feel cozy! I too prefer ottomans over coffee tables for a better feel 🙂

Justine @ Charm City Ciemny’s

• Reply sydnee October 11, 2017 at 7:45 am

I’m a huge fan of candles in the fall/winter as well! Nothing like vanilla scents to make a home cozy!

Design by Sydnee

• Reply Susan October 11, 2017 at 7:52 am

Couldn’t agree more with all of these, most of these are my faves to! This was a great post I really enjoyed it!

• Reply Marisa October 11, 2017 at 7:54 am

I ❤️❤️❤️ Dimmer switches!! You can swap out all your regular switches at Lowe’s! We have them on EVERY overhead light!! It’s the best at night when you are trying to get Little’s to settle down to dim the lights (with candles lit of course) and snuggle up. They are ready for bed in no time. We also love essential oils in a diffuser for relaxing …lavender at night! It makes everyone sleepy or peppermint is also nice!

• Reply Rhonda Hendrix October 11, 2017 at 7:55 am

Your home is lovely. Please tell me where you got your lantern that is on your island in the kitchen?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Pottery Barn!

• Reply Marsha Schindler October 11, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I was going to ask where you bought the large beautiful glass dish with lid filled with the beautiful metallic pumpkins!?!?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 12, 2017 at 4:55 am

Hobby Lobby!

• Reply Rebecca VanDeMark October 11, 2017 at 7:58 am

I love all of your suggestions- and this is one of my favorite topics that y’all have chosen for this year! It is so fun to read through everyone’s tips and suggestions! Thank you so much for hosting it!!
    Blessings, Rebecca 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams October 11, 2017 at 7:59 am

You definitely make your home seem warm and cozy! I love throws and and candles the most! I like unique pieces in the house too that make it feel like home 🙂
    xo

• Reply Amanda October 11, 2017 at 8:03 am

When I think of cozy these days, I tend to pull ideas that you have posted. You’ve got cozy down pat!

• Reply Tish Ferry October 11, 2017 at 8:05 am

Shay, I have read on your blog before in the cooler months where you light your fireplace in the mornings for your quiet time. Is yours electric or gas logs? Ours is wood burning now so I cannot make a fire unless I’m committed to being home for a while. Just curious as we are looking at options for our next house we are building! LOVE this post! I have been looking forward to the COZY!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Our fireplaces are gas.

• Reply Bree October 11, 2017 at 8:09 am

Love this! So many things I do subconsciously that when pointed out had me nodding in approval! Thanks for this happy post!

• Reply Dana October 11, 2017 at 8:10 am

Love this!! Last year after Christmas was over, I was really sad about taking all the decorations down. I found some cute winter decorations (polar bears sledding, snowflakes, pine cones, etc.) and then had the idea to take our Christmas snowflake lights on our tree and hang them around the perimeter of our living room ceiling. It was so festive and warm! I also love to change the decorations for each season (actually my kids do it) and that makes the home feel cozier, too. One question- what kind of music is the French cooking channel? I’ve always been intrigued by it, but we use Amazon music and don’t have access to Pandora.

• Reply Angela Ellingson October 11, 2017 at 8:13 am

Oh, I love this post so much! We close on what should be our forever home in 22 days! I will definitely be referring back for your tips! I’m so excited to feel settled and invest in making our house homey and cozy. And my life long dream of having a fireplace is about to come true!

• Reply kellie carrara October 11, 2017 at 8:13 am

I always get comments that my house is cozy — but I always thought that’s because it’s SMALL (a 1910 Sears Kit house in our historic downtown)…that is until I read your post! I always have candles going, throws on chairs & sofas, books out, music going and lamps on. Tho, I must confess, I DO love bright lights. I feel like I see better with more light. We recently renovated our living room and replaced the ceiling, and lo and behold, there was electrical hidden up there — well, that prompted a ceiling fan and overhead light, but we still use the lamps, too! 🙂
    Another thing I do is keep seasonal decor up — it just makes me happy to feel festive, no matter what time of year!
    And thanks for the candle suggestions! There is a guy that goes to my gym who is a corporate candle guy for White Barn/Bath & Body Works and he donates HUNDREDS of 3-wick candles for a fundraiser in December. All candles, $3! I go in and buy a case! Here’s to a cozy fall — can’t wait for your holiday tips!

• Reply Julie October 11, 2017 at 8:16 am

I love this post! If you haven’t already read it, “The Little Book of Hygge” is the cutest book. It tells about the Danish secrets to happy living, and for them, being cozy is the whole point! I think baked goods belong in a cozy home too. We usually have some sort of bread, cookie, brownie, muffin for kids to snack on or to offer up to surprise guests. Also, have you tried ‘Homesick’ candles? They are AMAZING. You can get one that smells like the Cape, (or Texas!) and they’re really good. Only online but worth every penny.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I have read it!! I loved it!

• Reply Jill Foster October 11, 2017 at 8:21 am

I agree with you about a good smelling home. Starting October 1st and going through January 1st I almost always have a saucepan with a mix of cinnamon and cloves mixed with water simmering on the stove. Makes my whole house smell like fall. My husband scours the stores for these cheap spices. Came home once with about 10 jars of cloves that cost 25 cents each. We are still using them years later for our smell concoction.

• Reply Maria October 11, 2017 at 8:24 am

Love this post! My question is do you burn different scented candles at the same time? Or complimentary candles? Or just completely different scents from room to room? I am always worried about clashing scents so I typically only burn one at a time.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:24 pm

I only burn complimentary scents. They’re always a warm scent (cinnamon, pumpkin, apple, vanilla).

• Reply Becky C October 11, 2017 at 8:30 am

I agree with you on everything! I especially love lamps! Question… do you go around and manually turn on your lamps in the morning or do you have them on timers?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:24 pm

I keep some on 24/7 and then manually go and turn others on and off.

• Reply Caroline October 11, 2017 at 8:43 am

I just went and bought three tins of Harney and Sons teas, thanks for sharing!!

• Reply Brittany Medland October 11, 2017 at 8:50 am

Shay, have you ever tried Scentsy? I love using those warmers around the house, a lot of them have lights in them so they give off a nice glow(sort of like a little lamp!), you can even get nightlight sized ones and the smells are AMAZING!

• Reply Jaimie October 11, 2017 at 8:55 am

I love this post so much! It makes me so excited for Fall and the upcoming holidays! Xx

• Reply Beth Jensen October 11, 2017 at 9:13 am

I seriously could not live without my small kitchen lamps and candles. Obsessed and drive my OCD man crazy following me to turn off each light. I also have UGG slippers in 3 rooms. My immediate go to when I get home.

• Reply Amy at Suburban Soiree October 11, 2017 at 9:16 am

I live in Colorado and we had our first snow this week. We are so excited for a season of cozyness!

• Reply Patty Anderson October 11, 2017 at 9:44 am

Sigh, my husband is very sensitive to scents, so I don’t get to use them. And I haven’t yet found the right basket for holding blankets in the family room. But I’m working on it! I agree, too, that you can never have too many books in a home! Lovely!

• Reply Kayla October 11, 2017 at 10:14 am

Hi Shay! When you’re burning your candles all day long, about how many days/weeks would you say they last? I feel like we go through candles so quickly 🙁

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Longer than you would think! I would say about two weeks.

• Reply Jenny October 11, 2017 at 10:22 am

I love all things cozy!!! I feel as if I could have written this post! Yes, to soft lighting, books, throws and a good smelling house. I love that you guys have collected old books. I would love to do that as well.

• Reply Shannon Carrillo October 11, 2017 at 10:32 am

Where are your favorite places to get your throw blankets from?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Target and Pottery Barn

• Reply Gail October 11, 2017 at 11:03 am

I like to start ‘cozy’ on my front porch with a lantern in the Fall, basket with greens and pine cones for the winter , and in the summer I have a painted bakers rack with pots of flowers. Then I try to plant interesting plants to look at through my windows. A beautiful maple tree that changes color that we can see while we are in our living room, all wrapped up in a cozy blanket while we read or watch TV. Also gorgeous hydrangeas and ferns through the bedroom windows. Our house and yard are small but there is a park behind our house and it wonderful to be able to feel like we can bring the outdoors inside!

• Reply Ruth October 11, 2017 at 11:08 am

I love all of this, it’s the coziest time of the year! September through February I love adding a strand or two of twinkle lights to things like a fall flower arrangement, a winter mantle post-Christmas or something for Valentine’s Day. I also rebelled for years over the Scentsy craze, because I too love all the candles. However, I caved and bought a warmer several years ago and love it. Mine plugs in the wall so it doesn’t take up space and is great for places like the bathrooms…And it’s perfect because I can leave it on all day while I’m gone keeping my house smelling nice. I can turn it off and on when I want to light candles or just not have it going.

• Reply Sandra October 11, 2017 at 11:11 am

Love this post! You have definitely mastered the cozy factor. I live in Ontario, Canada and the days are getting shorter, the weather so much cooler … so all your ideas go far in coping with a long snowy winter. I’ve admired your Pottery Barn faux fur throws – any buying tips? Thanks Shay!!!

• Reply Ursula Everett October 11, 2017 at 11:22 am

Have you ever tried Tyler candles? (They are actually from TYler, Texas) I’m a candle fanatic and they are the best. There burn time is unbelievable!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I’m burning one in my guest bathroom right now!! Pumpkin Spice!!!

• Reply Jill Ward October 11, 2017 at 11:38 am

What are some of your favorite candles?

• Reply Sheaffer Sims October 11, 2017 at 11:54 am

THROWS! THROWS! and MORE THROWS! I’m under one right now!

• Reply Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World October 11, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Shay, I know I’ve told you this before, but I swear you’re my musical spirit animal. It’s not very often that you meet someone so young who appreciates and loves old standards that way that we do. I, too, grew up in a house with music always humming softly in the background and it really stuck with me so I now always play it, too.

Also, YES to the lamps and cozy lighting! If you want to take your cozy lighting to the next level try this: get a fake ficus tree (or some other type of fake tree) from Hobby Lobby or Michaels and wrap it carefully with a strand or two of white Christmas lights. Put it in your family room or dining room or wherever you spend the most time and enjoy year round. We have one in our living room AND in our dining room and they are simply the best! Those twinkle lights do so much for a room! They really do. And then you can enjoy the ambience of the twinkle lights year round instead of just at Christmas!

• Reply Laura October 11, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Shay, I love this! It’s so funny, but I wrote about almost exactly the same things today. Love this topic and your beautiful, cozy home. 😍

• Reply ROXIE LONG October 11, 2017 at 12:41 pm

LAMPS!!! OMG- I need more lamps! Thanks!! Super cozy looking!

• Reply Sarah October 11, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Dear Shay,
    Thank you for introducing me to French Cooking Radio. It’s awesome!! 😍

• Reply Marcia October 11, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Your next book should be “The Art of Cozy”. You would have 3/4 of it done with just the ideas in this post….with all the pics of course! LOVED this post!

• Reply Megan October 11, 2017 at 2:17 pm

What do you use for music throughout your house? Is it sonos?
    We have been thinking of buying one, I’d love to hear your opinion 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Yes! We love our Sonos!

• Reply Charlene October 11, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Love all your pretty lamps! Best place to find them??

• Reply Chelsea Barnhart October 11, 2017 at 2:34 pm

I cannot agree more with the candle part! But what are your favorite candles? We go through them so quickly because we want to burn them constantly. So I have a hard time buying more expensive candles that I love like Nest and Volcano, but the cheap ones don’t seem to put off very much smell. Is there a secret? Should I up my candle budget? #candleprobs

• Reply Brady W. October 13, 2017 at 10:13 am

Chelsea, I don’t know if you have a Walmart near you, but I buy the $2-$3 Mainstays brand candles and they are FABULOUS. To me, they smell better burning than any other candle I’ve tried (including bath and body works and yankee candles). The scent is strong and they burn for a long time! I also use their wax melts with the lamps they sell at Walmart and they smell equally as good. You should give it a try! SO much cheaper!!

• Reply Karen October 11, 2017 at 2:41 pm

One of my very favorite posts!! Thank you, Shay!!

• Reply Sophia October 11, 2017 at 2:56 pm

I LOVE lamps but never seem to find any small ones. Do you mind sharing where you’ve got yours from?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 3:02 pm

All over! TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Target, Pottery Barn…lots of places!

• Reply Erin Port October 11, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Our weather makes me so thankful for a cozy home :). I love all your ideas. I need to play more music around our house just throughout the day. We love a good dance party but I could use some good ambient music too! xoxo ERIN

• Reply Tina October 11, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I love all these things, too! I’ve switched to a scentsy burner, because it’s a little easier on my allergies…and because I’ve gotten so forgetful that I’m afraid I’ll burn my house down.☺️ Other things that I’ve added recently to make my home cozy are house plants (live & really realistic faux ones) and displaying muffins/cookies/brownies/etc on a covered cake stand. I also love baskets (especially sea grass ones). They add texture, “warmth” and storage all at once. I have different shapes and sizes scattered all throughout my house (on the floor, on shelves, on top of my fridge, etc) and each one serves a purpose.

• Reply Elisabeth Hogue October 11, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Steve Tyrell is my new favorite Pandora station! Thx!

• Reply Chrissy October 11, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Love and live all your suggestions! Also, I love twinkle lights. I found I miss my Christmas tree so much during the year, that I strung little white twinkle lights on a 6 ft. Ficus tree in the corner of my family room and it just makes it cozy all year long. Also dimmers. Even though I can’t stand harsh overhead lighting, we have dimmers on all overheads and it helps when entertaining, when the lamps don’t cut it. Dim lights, big couches, and all the throws! #cozyville

• Reply Michelle Carnes October 12, 2017 at 4:56 pm

I’m a sucker for candles and soft throws! We are building a house (though they haven’t broken ground yet 😫), and I can’t wait to start decorating!

• Reply Tina October 14, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Do you keep the music going when the TV is on? My husband is a TV addict.😕 So, when he’s home, he’s always watching TV. When it’s just me and the kids, I either have it on for background noise or they’re watching cartoons. I would love to have less TV going on in our house. So, I’m curious if having music playing cuts down on how much your TV is turned on or if you just have them going simultaneously. Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 16, 2017 at 4:43 am

Yes, we keep it on all the time. I don’t think we have the TV on that much at our house.

• Reply melissa norton October 15, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Fresh flowers are one of my favorites! placed right next to a candle. i usually chose something that i can cut the stems really short and make a round bowl type vase really full. Nothing that is really strongly scented though. favorites are tulips,peonies & roses. i will even go out and pick roses from my own rose bushes which people LOVE haha! another is a huge chalkboard hanging in our kitchen and i draw seasonal pictures on it. i used to use it for our weekly menu, but people (most importantly my 3 kiddos) love the drawings. right now its a pumpkin 🙂 good hand soap&lotion in guest bathrooms and plug ins around the house.

• Reply Kristen Chaney October 17, 2017 at 6:29 am

Love this! My husband and I are building our first home and this post is so helpful! I have a question about the candles. Do you have multiple candles burning at one time (like in multiple rooms)? And if you do, do you have the same scent burning in the different rooms or do you have multiple scents?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 17, 2017 at 7:14 am

Some days I do! I always try and keep the scents within the same family.

• Reply Joyce October 18, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Can you post a pic of your salt lamps? Would love to see how they look!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2017 at 1:31 pm

• Reply Joyce October 18, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply kristen October 19, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Hi shay! I hope that you are still answering comments here! I have a question about your pandora. How do you keep it from shutting off when your computer goes to sleep? I try to use pandora everyday, but within minutes it shuts itself off. I assume because my screen goes dark, but this wasn’t always the case. Do you have any tips? Pandora hasn’t replied to me. Thanks for any help!!! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 20, 2017 at 5:03 am

I use it through my wireless system in my house (not my computer), so it stays on.