Ashby’s Hawaiian Birthday Bash!

On Sunday, our sweet Ashby turned SEVEN!

I feel like six can still sound little, but seven sounds so BIG!

For her birthday this year, she wanted a Hawaiian themed swim party.

Easy, festive and FUN!

Here are some pics from the big day…

We had all the party goods with a Hawaiian theme plus cute umbrella straws because she had to have Hawaiian Punch.  Ha!

My friend Amy made another adorable sign for our sign wall!

Ashby wanted a pineapple cake : ) .  It was as easy as making a yellow cake and blending in one (8 oz) can of crushed pineapple (do not drain) and then topping it with cream cheese frosting.

In the foyer, we had party favors.  Leis, beach towels and water balloons.

And she wanted them to limbo under the banner on their way in.  Hahahahaha!

I couldn’t have done it without my helpers!!

Ebby Lee and Kensington helped me handle all of the details!  Madeley “helped” too 😉 .

It was time for the PARTY to start!!

My big seven year old!!!

We invited over three boys and three girls.  It was a great combination!

Just a girl on her unicorn.

We had many cannon ball competitions and swim races.

And lots of playing!

It was the PERFECT birthday bash!!

Another birthday party in the books!!

I’m so thankful for Ashby’s sweet friends!  We have such a wonderful community here.  I’m also very thankful for my mom and dad who were not pictured (why????), but worked hard to help make this party run smoothly!!  Thank you, Mom and Dad!!

If you want to look back at birthdays from the past, just scroll and click…

To see Kensington’s parties from years past, here you go…
Kensington’s Big Apple Birthday
To see Ashby’s birthdays from years past, here you go…
Ashby’s Frozen Swim Party

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 11, 2019 at 4:44 am

Happy birthday to Ashby again! I love the theme of the party, it’s so fitting for the summer weather as well! 💕✨

• Reply Amy Heinl June 11, 2019 at 5:04 am

What a perfect party theme. Loved her birthday sign. Looks like every one had a great time

• Reply Narci June 11, 2019 at 5:05 am

What a fun party! Happy Birthday, beautiful Ashby!!

• Reply Beth Graves June 11, 2019 at 5:43 am

I love Birthday posts! They are so fun plus I love seeing what the signs look like! LOL! I love that you do that! What a talented friend! They are amazing keepsakes to remember those fun parties!

• Reply KimW June 11, 2019 at 5:52 am

So sweet!! Looks like she is so happy and had a great celebration!! AND SHAY, I think her arm and hand are looking improved?! Am I imagining this??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 11, 2019 at 6:22 am

Ah! She’s doing great! It’s always so nice to see results after so much pain.

• Reply Nicole June 11, 2019 at 6:08 am

Fun!! Did you serve food too? Wondering what your menu was if so!! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 11, 2019 at 6:21 am

Ashby picked pizza 🙂 . Easy peasy for a kids’ party!

• Reply Nicole June 11, 2019 at 10:39 am

Yes! I have three summer birthdays and always looking for food ideas! Did you do anything with pizza? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2019 at 4:47 am

This party was SIMPLE. Ashby wanted me to order pizza and have a pineapple cake. Since I wasn’t feeding their parents or anything and the party was over by 6:00, that’s all I did.

• Reply Colleen June 11, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Such a cute, easy party! Perfect reminder that kids don’t always need the elaborate celebrations that we mamas drive ourselves crazy over! Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

• Reply Nancy Arlinghaus June 11, 2019 at 6:09 am

Looks like so much fun! Happy Birthday to Ashby! We are having a 90th birthday pool party for my mom this weekend…….Hawaii 9-0 is our theme! Where did you find your cute birthday banner?

• Reply Elspeth Mizner June 11, 2019 at 7:20 am

AHHHH Looks like the best time! The theme fits perfectly with Kensington’s trip too! Happy birthday Ashby!

• Reply Angela June 11, 2019 at 7:24 am

What an adorable party, it looked like so much fun. Where did you get Ashby’s bathing suit from, it’s so cute?

• Reply jennimc June 11, 2019 at 8:06 am

Adorable party! I love those paper goods 🙂 Can I ask what that stoneware is that you have Ashby’s cake in? It’s so pretty.

• Reply Sharon June 11, 2019 at 11:55 am

It’s Emile Henry Ruffled Rectangular Baker from Williams Sonoma

• Reply Kim Nations June 11, 2019 at 8:09 am

Happy Birthday to Ashby.. SUch a cute party. Love your new countertops.. Hope to see a post on them in the future.

• Reply Amanda Wilson June 11, 2019 at 8:11 am

Your back yard is where I wanna be!! It always looks like a blast! I am so glad Ashby had a good birthday she deserves to feel so special!!!

• Reply Leah June 11, 2019 at 8:18 am

Cute party!!

Does your school not make it mandatory for every child to be invited to the birthday party? I know some schools do that…which I see the point but I also think it adds a lot of extra stress on the parent throwing the party to add so many kids especially if your child is not close friends with them. What are your thoughts on that??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 11, 2019 at 8:54 am

If you pass out invites at school, you have to give one to every kid, but I didn’t pass out invites at school.

• Reply Bonnie Butler June 11, 2019 at 8:32 am

And Kensington’s new tan was perfect for the theme!

• Reply Susan Smith June 11, 2019 at 8:40 am

Do you try and spend the same amount on the kiddos birthday parties? I know Smith got to go snowboarding, which seems like it would be more expensive than a pool party. Just wondering how you deal with all of that. Thanks!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 11, 2019 at 8:53 am

Smith didn’t go snowboarding on his 7th birthday. We do try and spend about the same amount, but honestly, more than anything, we try and to give them the party they want. When my kids go on trips for their parties that’s in lieu of any gifts whatsoever or a party. Ashby got a party and we bought her many gifts. Annnnd…I just spent a lot taking her to Disney, so it all washes out in the end.

• Reply Susan Smith June 11, 2019 at 9:12 am

Thanks so much for answering. I didn’t know how you figured it all out. I think your system is great. Each one seems happy with how it all works out and that’s all that matters!

• Reply Kalynn June 11, 2019 at 8:45 am

Looks like so much fun! Her suit is so cute!!

• Reply Amy June 11, 2019 at 8:47 am

So many cute pictures…love the theme and the cute plates. Did you purchase them from an online website? Your friend Amy did an amazing job with the sign!!

• Reply Danielle Rigg June 11, 2019 at 8:55 am

Looks like so much fun! What were some of her presents that were a hit?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 11, 2019 at 10:32 am

She got a soccer playing Barbie doll! And a chia pet that looks like the poop emoji! Haha! Those were two big hits from her friends!

• Reply Angela Ellingson June 11, 2019 at 9:16 am

What a fun party!!! Great job mama!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams June 11, 2019 at 9:54 am

Ashby looked like she had the best time! So happy for her! I love a Hawaiian themed birthday party!!

• Reply Arika June 11, 2019 at 10:09 am

Shay, any idea where Ashby’s little friend in your last picture got her rainbow swimming suit? It’s darling!

• Reply Nicole June 11, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Pretty sure it’s Kortni Jeane! 😊

• Reply Mary Dollar June 11, 2019 at 10:34 am

I just love Miss Ashby and Sir Bowen’s sweet friendship! I so wish we had “blogs” when my 40 y/o boy was growing up. You have the best ideas for fun parties, and celebrating everyday life! XOXOXO

• Reply Stacey W. June 11, 2019 at 10:36 am

Such a fun party theme. I love the limbo entry!

• Reply Patricia June 11, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Question about the cake; did you use just the dry cake mix, eggs and pineapple and omit the water? Maybe a future post about improving box mixes with add ons…

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2019 at 4:46 am

I included the water! I baked it about 4 minutes longer, but included everything and just added the pineapple. Easy!

• Reply Erica June 11, 2019 at 11:22 pm

Does it ever take your breath away thinking about how different life would be for her on her seventh birthday had God not brought you to her? This is such a happy story in every way. And wow, Shay, I can’t believe the progress in her arm and hand – another breathtaking blessing!

• Reply Robin OSBORNE June 11, 2019 at 11:31 pm

My birthday is in July when it is super hot and I always requested that my mother make a cake called Pig Pickin’ Cake (absolutely NO idea why it is called that). It is a white cake with a can of drained mandarin oranges added to the mix. After baking it, you poke holes and pour the juice from a can of crushed pineapple over the top. You then mix the drained pineapple with vanilla pudding mix and whipped topping and frost the cake with that mixture. I have seen this recipe on Pinterest called Sunshine cake. Yum!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 12, 2019 at 4:44 am

I love, love, love everything in this comment!!! So cute, Robin!!!

• Reply Megan H June 12, 2019 at 8:03 pm

How do you decide who to invite to parties? When your kids were really little(K&S), it seemed smaller, more family. My daughter is almost 3 and I almost invited a bunch of kids she has a dance class with, then decided not to since it can be so overwhelming when they are young. Did you have a rule or plan and then adjust it each year or age depending on kid?