What’s Up Wednesday {Thanksgiving Eve Edition!}

What's Up Wednesday Graphic

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!!!

Really though, I blinked and November was OVER!  #crazyfast

Just like always, on the last Wednesday of every month, Sheaffer and I host this little linky party where we share what’s going on with us right now.  It’s a little food, a little family, a little what we’re wearing, a little what we’re doing, a little what we’re watching and a little bit of everything else all in one post.  I’m really excited because I feel like this month’s post has loads of fun stuff!  Let’s get started with…

1: WHAT WE’RE EATING THIS WEEK:

This has been such a fun week because Andrew’s parents are in town, so we’ve been doing all sorts of fun things, making our favorite recipes and eating at our favorite places.  If you are still thinking about what to make, make sure you check out these three posts…

Thanksgiving Day Parade Breakfast Menu

…my Terrific Turkey Day Sides and…

22 Pie Recipes for Thanksgiving

…my 22 Pie Recipes for Thanksgiving!

2. WHAT I’M REMINISCING ABOUT:

My trip with this guy.  This list is long of places I want to visit with him.  It’s always such a great time!!!

3: WHAT I’M LOVING:

Um, speaking of that last picture.  I’m still so super in love with…

these Isle of Paradise tanning drops.  About twice a week, I add four drops to my nightly moisturizer, apply to my face and Bam!  A nice faux tan 😉 …

…see?  I’m in love.  I just bought the tanning water to try for my whole body.  I’ll let you know as soon as I try it!

4: WHAT WE’VE BEEN UP TO:

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!  We’ve made a list of fun holiday things we want to do and are checking them off one at a time.  On Saturday, we “kicked” things off with…

…the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders 🙂 .  It was the tree lighting at the Star in Frisco (the amazing sports complex Jerry Jones built for the Cowboys and their fans), and we’ve now decided it’s one of our favorite Christmas traditions.  If you’ve never been and you’re local, you should go!  It’s every Friday and Saturday night through Christmas and it’s FREE!

We all watched this last season of Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Making The Team, so my kids thought they knew these girls personally.  Ha!  It’s so festive!  There is holiday music, fireworks, dancers, the cheerleaders and of course, Santa!

There is nothing I love more than a family tradition!  After the show, we had reservations to eat dinner at one of the restaurants at the Star, so it was all around the perfect way to spend a Saturday night!

5: WHAT I’M DREADING:

I do not like addressing Christmas cards.  Every time I say that, someone tells me about a way to print them all out on address stickers, but that sounds tedious too because don’t you have to input all of that info?  Anyone else? I will stuff, lick and stamp all day long, but I always dread actually addressing them.  What am I doing wrong? Please help me simplify this.

6: WHAT I’M WORKING ON:

I’ve been trying to get all of my Christmas shopping done so that I can get it wrapped.  (I need to work harder on this.)  I also need to start addressing those holiday cards too (see above).  I always feel so good when I drop my cards in the mail and am done with them for the year!

WHAT I’M EXCITED ABOUT:

This weekend, our town is hosting our annual…

Home For the Holidays on our historic town square.  This was us last year enjoying all the fun!  If you’re local, you should come!!  It’s Friday through Sunday right on our square and it has everything from rides to games, delicious food, holiday booths, carolers and so much more.  It is sure to put you in the Christmas spirit!

8: WHAT I’M WATCHING/READING:

First things first, did you catch this on Monday

…it’s my November Book Review!  This month, I read four festive, holiday books to put us in the Christmas mood.  This batch has everything from light and cheesy to complex and dramatic.  You can read my full review HERE.

Also, on Sunday morning, Andrew politely (sort of), casually (not really), sort of (demanded) I stop talking about how much I love…

…this season of The Crown.  I am OBSESSED.

Let me back up.

I like to listen/watch shows while I get ready, empty the dishwasher, fold laundry, etc.   Well, when season three of The Crown dropped two weeks ago, I told Andrew (who also watches it) that I didn’t think I would watch it because I was bummed that it had an entirely new cast.  I loved the original cast SO MUCH and understood that they couldn’t advance the plot by 20 years with the same actors (they needed older actors), but that there was no way I would love season 3 as much as I did 1 and 2.

I WAS WRONG.

I honest to goodness think season 3 was the best yet!  Love, love, love.  Andrew is watching it right now on his own time too but he’s a few episodes behind me. He might have mentioned that I have used the phrase “I love the Crown so much” a little too much…but it really is SO GOOD!!  I have been happily folding laundry and emptying the dishwasher just to catch a few minutes here and there 😉 .

9: WHAT I’M LISTENING TO:

Please see above.  The Crown when I’m at home doing “tasks” and then Christmas music allllllllll of the other time!

10: WHAT I’M WEARING:

Bold sweaters on repeat…

…I love this neon pink sweater!  I also love…

this Christmas red one too!

11: WHAT I’M DOING THIS WEEKEND:

I’m going to church and would love for you to come too!!

Friends, if you’re local, I would love for you to come visit our church this Sunday for our special Christmas program and message.  It’s the perfect way to kick off the holiday season.  If you’re not local, you can watch live on your computer!  We have three morning services this Sunday and then one special service on Sunday night.  Either way, I’d love to have you join us!!

12: WHAT I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:

All of the extra time with family and friends.  When I look back on Decembers past, I always think about the fun I have hosting, being a guest, going and doing and celebrating with the ones I love.  I look forward to that so very much this upcoming month!

13: WHAT ELSE IS NEW:

I think that’s it!  Friends, tomorrow is Thanksgiving!!!  I think we both need to go and get busy right now!!  I hope you all have a safe, healthy and happy holiday!  I’ll see you back here on Friday!!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog November 27, 2019 at 5:33 am

So jealous that you guys get a few days off for Thanksgiving! Enjoy the holiday! 🙂

• Reply Kristina November 27, 2019 at 5:47 am

If you enter all your addresses into excel once you can make labels from that or you can have websites print them directly on envelopes for you (I think minted does that). Then you only have to update the spreadsheet every year and you’re ready to go. Avery labels gives you all the steps to go from a spreadsheet to labels. Make sure you setup columns for the different parts of the address. Name, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code

• Reply Valerie Patton November 27, 2019 at 12:44 pm

This is what I do! I use Avery labels. Once you enter all your addresses, going forward you only need to edit your list every year. Easy Peasy!

• Reply Dana November 27, 2019 at 5:48 am

I used to love to hand address all my Christmas cards, but when our daughter came along I just didn’t have the time anymore. Yes, it takes a bit of time to fill in all the addresses for the labels…but just the first time. I save the file and just add/delete/update addresses that need to be each year. I even print them in red or green ink so they look festive!

• Reply Margo November 27, 2019 at 5:55 am

Hi, Shay. I am going to email you a few notes on how to use Excel and then Word to print those labels easily. Perhaps tedious the first year, but so handy to have a list to add new friends, update addresses, etc. in upcoming years. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 27, 2019 at 6:45 am

Awe! Thank you! You too, Margo!!

• Reply Katie November 27, 2019 at 8:20 am

Please share the love and give us all a tutorial! I agree with you on addressing Christmas cards. It’s not fun and takes forever!

• Reply cathy edwards November 27, 2019 at 7:45 pm

QVC has the Isle of Paradise tanning drops 2 for 1 Black Friday! Believe they are 29.00! I thought I would give them a try!

• Reply Jill November 27, 2019 at 6:17 am

If you take the extra time this year to save the addresses on your computer and in a printable program, next year you can just review, add and delete as necessary and then bam…..your done! Good luck!

• Reply Erika Slaughter November 27, 2019 at 6:37 am

I’d forgotten all about addressing those Christmas cards!! Every year I say it’ll be done by Thanksgiving and it never happens!

• Reply Kary November 27, 2019 at 10:32 am

Ask Kensington and Smith to help address them! It adds such a personal touch to write their names on the envelopes. Especially if you have preprinted cards already. Use that extra few minutes to say a little prayer for the family. 😊

• Reply Kim G November 27, 2019 at 6:42 am

I agree 1000%! This season of the crown is the best!!!bits soooo good!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 27, 2019 at 6:44 am

Right?! I loved the first two seasons, but this one was worth the wait!!!

• Reply Hope November 27, 2019 at 6:50 am

For Christmas cards, order from Minted! You enter all your addresses into their database, and they address them for you! All you have to do is stuff and stamp when they arrive. The best part? Your database is there the next year and you never have to do it again! I use them every year because I have all of my addresses saved from our wedding invites! Best system ever!!!

• Reply Missy December 1, 2019 at 7:27 am

I second this!! We used Minted this year for the first time, and the process was AMAZING! They took all of the pain out of addressing envelopes. My kids put stamps on them, and they were literally ready to mail out about 30 minutes after they arrived on our doorstep!

• Reply Emily Harrison November 27, 2019 at 7:01 am

I love this season of The Crown! The casting of Philip and Anne is perfect!!!

• Reply Courtney Wells November 27, 2019 at 7:07 am

Buy cards at cardstore.com it uploads your address book and sends them for you at no charge! You just pay for the stamp. I always make a separate order of about 20 to send to my house for extras. Best thing ever!

• Reply Katherine Darlington November 27, 2019 at 7:25 am

Ask Kensington and Smith if they want to earn some extra Christmas money by addressing the cards. A Christmas card with a childs handwriting on the envelope! Yes please! It’s an added touch. You could get some cute
    Christmas stickers and tell Ashby & Madley to put 2 or 3 on the backs of each envelope and they could earn some money too.

• Reply Paige M Wright November 27, 2019 at 7:43 am

I use word for my labels. Go to the mailing tab and then to labels. I use Avery 30 labels to each page…click single label and then mail merge button and it takes you to the “actual” label page. Enter each address, and continue adding new pages just as you did first one and save to your documents. I lost all of mine last year when my computer crashed and had saved them to downloads for some dumb reason. Lesson learned. I am reentering this year because it is soooo worth it! Tedious for sure the first year but will not take any longer than actually addressing them. Next year you will be singing as you pop those labels on instead of hand addressing 🙂

• Reply Rachel November 27, 2019 at 8:01 am

Love all of this and Happy Thanksgiving!!! Quick question….do the face tanning drops have that dreaded fake tan smell or any smell at all? thanks!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams November 27, 2019 at 8:01 am

I love all the family time too! I want to start The Crown next since I’ve heard so many great things and those tanning drops look enticing even though I still like the tanning wipes! Hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving!! Xo

• Reply Colleen McTeague November 27, 2019 at 8:05 am

What’s the link to watch your church service online? I’ve recently been thinking about starting to go back to church after a few years.

• Reply Julia November 27, 2019 at 8:08 am

Minted for all cards, invites, all the things!!! Save your addresses once and they print them right on the envelopes for free! They have tons of cute designs too!! Happy Thanksgiving.

• Reply Amy St.Hilaire November 27, 2019 at 8:10 am

I keep my address list in an Excel file so that when it’s time to address Christmas cards, birthday invitations, etc. all I have to do is a Mail Merge into a Word file. Voila, labels print out! So much easier than hand writing out addresses! 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply Sara November 27, 2019 at 8:16 am

I don’t know where you order your Christmas cards from but I’ve used both Minted and Tiny Prints and they have an option to get the envelopes pre-addressed. You’ll have to input your address list but after doing that one time, if you always use the same company for your cards, you’ll be all set and never have to address an envelope again!

• Reply Jenn November 27, 2019 at 8:18 am

Minted is amazing- yes tedious the first year to enter addresses, but now… I click through the list and my envelopes arrive ready to go. And it looks super cute, too.

• Reply Mary November 27, 2019 at 8:24 am

The crown is the best. They also have a podcast where they break down each episode and talk to producers/ directors/ writers!

• Reply Amy November 27, 2019 at 8:28 am

Shay, I hope y’all have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!!! I am thankful for the fun you bring into my life with your blog posts…especially the book reviews! I have a question. When you are working around the house and watching/listening to a show, where is the screen? Is it in your pocket? Is it on some kind of a stand?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 27, 2019 at 9:01 am

I just use my phone, so it’s laying wherever I”m working. If I’m unloading the dishwasher, it’s on the counter, if I’m folding laundry, it’s right there by the clothes pile, etc.

• Reply Becky Cowen November 27, 2019 at 8:32 am

Two years ago I entered in all my Christmas card addresses into my Shutterfly address book. Now all I do is look over the addresses, update as needed, and then have Shutterfly print the addresses on the envelopes for me! Best. Thing. Ever!!!

• Reply Alice H November 27, 2019 at 8:34 am

All of my addresses are in an Excel spreadsheet that I keep updated and then when it is time for cards, etc. I just merge it into labels using Word. Takes me about 32 seconds!!!

• Reply Robin Sellers November 27, 2019 at 8:40 am

I use Minted.com and you just upload your addresses to the address book on their website. They print them on the envelopes. All you have to do is assemble the card and mail them. You can even order matching stamps for your card design.

• Reply Jennifer November 27, 2019 at 8:44 am

I’d like to try those self tanning drops. Does your bottle say the shade is medium? I stay fairly pale year round so wonder if light is enough? Also, do you just put your moisturizer on your hand & then the drops, mix it up & apply? I’ve never done anything like this before, clearly! 😂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 27, 2019 at 9:00 am

Yes! My bottle does. I put a little moisturizer in my hand, add the drops, combine and apply.

• Reply Jenna November 27, 2019 at 8:50 am

You can buy Avery labels and then go their website to create and print. You enter in the addresses the first year but you can save it so every year after you will just have to update any new addresses!

• Reply Bethany November 27, 2019 at 8:58 am

Hi Shay!!! You HAVE to try the Isle of Paradise body foam instead of the spray – use a mit and it goes on so much less streaky than the water spray. I too looove the face drops but I’ve noticed that the spray takes so much longer to apply and can be streaky.

• Reply Jayci Alverson November 27, 2019 at 9:00 am

About 3 years ago I switched to Minted to buy my Christmas cards and it’s LIFE CHANGING!! You enter all your addresses online into their database and they print them on the envelopes for you for free!!! Best thing ever!! Each year you can update and add new and they are still there so very easy! Highly recommend! PS thank you for always having the best book recommendations! I always get my next book from your monthly book reviews! Your sweet family is precious!!❤️

• Reply Katie November 27, 2019 at 9:20 am

Those drops sound amazing. Ok – let give me give you my super secret tip for holiday cards! It takes a bit of set up the first year, but then you’re golden FOREVER!

First – I turned my handwriting into a computer font (google it) for a couple bucks – you print out a sheet, write out all your letters, and scan it/take a pic and then load it back into the website. Then, it turns your handwriting into font.

Next – get all your addresses into a spreadsheet (with each line separate into a column (family name, street 1, street 2, city/state/zip). Yes, this is a lot of work the first year, but then you ALWAYS have this spreadsheet (I did this for our wedding and then have just kept it updated over the years).

Then – set up a mail merge in Word. You pick the size envelopes you’re using and then use the spreadsheet to import the addresses. And – the best part – you use your handwriting font so it still looks like you hand-addressed all your cards! And, you don’t even have to put address sticker labels on the envelopes. If you don’t have a return address stamp you use, you can also print the envelopes with your return address!

It seriously takes me 10 minutes (assuming no paper jams) to do address all my cards each year now (which is a blessing b/c I have a 1 and 3 year old). This might seem like a crazy project – let me know if you want help! It will change your life.

• Reply Joan Walton November 27, 2019 at 9:27 am

When I was Kensington’s age my parents paid me per card to address all their business Christmas cards. I was so thrilled to have the honor to be taken so seriously and the money over my allowance was the best! It’s so much more personal and friendly than automating the already commercial holiday requisites.

• Reply Colleen November 27, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Love this idea!

• Reply Susy November 27, 2019 at 9:30 am

As I address each card, I think of treasured memories we share with that family or person! This practice actually slows the process, not speeds it up! But what a joy! Sitting here with a broken R wrist in a cast, I have an even more appreciation for the process I will miss this year!

• Reply Nikki November 27, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Yes! That’s what I do. I pour a glass of wine, turn on the Christmas music, light a candle and look forward to the memories that come with each address. I have my list in an excel spreadsheet soi could easily tint labels, up,pad, etc, but I just love my system!

• Reply Mary Jane McNeill November 27, 2019 at 9:51 am

I find the holidays too busy to address cards, so I’ve been sending New Year’s cards instead. I get them at my local Walgreen’s and they’re ready in 24 hours. I’ll take the envelopes with me when placing my order and get a head start on the addressing. So much less stress!

• Reply Julie Jones November 27, 2019 at 9:55 am

Shay thank you for all of your recommendations. Love reading your posts. You and your family are precious! All the comments are right on about Christmas address labels. Could Kensington enter that data into Excel if you set up the template? Or Minted sounds like a great deal that might work for you if you haven’t ordered your cards yet?

• Reply Dana November 27, 2019 at 10:35 am

I totally agree on addressing the Christmas card envelopes…I’ve used Minted for years now because they usually offer FREE addressing!! Now Simply to Impress offers addressing also!! BEST.THING.EVER!! I’m glad to hear you love this new season of the crown because I’ve been putting off watching because I LOVED the original cast!! Going to have to start the new season now though…as soon as I have time because I know I will want to binge away!!!

• Reply J November 27, 2019 at 11:51 am

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving Day with your family Shay! 🦃

I hope everyone else has a fantastic Thanksgiving Day as well! 🦃

• Reply Lois Hilty November 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm

Shay, if you trust me, I’ll glad address your envelopes & send them out for you – early. Continually I receive compliments on my cursive writing, as lately as this past Monday when I signed the signature pad at the store, & you know how “funky” they distort a signature. I credit my many years of required practice as an elementary student, my teaching of that age students ( felt my example was important for my students), & my mother who required me to do it to the best of my ability. This simple (for me) skill makes a favorable impression on our business associates, also, since I address by hand all of our outgoing correspondence to all of our business clients & accounts. I’m always complimented by those folks (gentlemen & ladies alike) by phone and/or in person. Let me know, please, if you’d appreciate my assistance. Thanks. Lois

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 28, 2019 at 7:25 am

oh my goodness! What a kind and generous offer, Lois!! That really means so much!

• Reply Kelli November 27, 2019 at 12:24 pm

Ah! I agree re: The Crown! I have a hair crush on Helena Bonham Carter, so I was super excited she was going to be in it – and she’s living up to it!! But then, the episodes were so good!! I was so surprised how close I was to tears with the episode of Prince Philip, the astronauts and the new Dean. The episode showed more of a complex character for him, but also brilliantly looked into meaning of life, etc. that we can all relate to. Love!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

• Reply Simply Styling November 27, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Loving your neon pink sweater ! I totally agree with addressing Christmas Cards, I would love to hire someone for the job but I try and make it fun with Christmas Music going and sipping on hot chocolate !!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving !

• Reply Colleen November 27, 2019 at 12:30 pm

I have my addresses on an excel sheet and keep track of who I sent when and who we received (so I don’t forget to add anyone). I tried using it for labels one year but it doesn’t look as personable so I stopped. Now I address 10-20 during a show or car ride etc.

Last year we explained that Santa went environmental and no longer wraps his gifts (I still wrap ours to the kids, a handful of ones) and I cannot tell you the amount of time and trash that saved. I thought the kids would miss ALL the unwrapping but they did not take any notice and all the excitement continued. Would highly recommend considering.

• Reply Jess W November 27, 2019 at 12:40 pm

I love addressing holiday cards but understand if you don’t. Not sure where you order them from but some websites you can enter people and addresses and they can address for you. Pretty sure you can upload from an excel spreadsheet or if you have to enter them manually, the first year is tedious but every year after you just have to do the small edits of people you are adding or removing.

• Reply Taylor R November 27, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Thank you for saying that about season three of The Crown!!! I have not watched it because I too wasn’t sure how to feel about the new cast. I can’t wait to get to watching it now, per your recc 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply Leah November 27, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Minted addresses envelopes! It’s amazing!

• Reply Celina November 27, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Christmas cards – Same as everyone else – Minted! They’ll do your “to” address, return address, and you can even make a custom stamp with the picture of your choice. It’s saved so much time for me!

• Reply Jill Blanton November 27, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Hi Shay!
    I’m making your pineapple side dish for tomorrow. Can I make it today and just reheat tomorrow?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 28, 2019 at 7:24 am

Yes!!! I wouldn’t heat it. I would make it and then put it in the fridge before you bake it. Bake it off day of!

• Reply Morgan November 27, 2019 at 2:46 pm

I used a website called basicinvite.com for my wedding invitations because they’ll print addresses on the envelopes for free! You have to add everyone’s contact info the first go-round, but after that, they’ll always be there in an address book under your account. I plan to use it for all occasions like birthday invites, baby announcements, Christmas cards, etc! Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!!!

• Reply Mother of 3 November 27, 2019 at 6:15 pm

So I shouldn’t mention then that I dropped my cards in the mail today?! LOL. I don’t mind addressing them but it’s not my favorite job either mostly because I don’t like my writing.

• Reply Caroline November 27, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Hi Shay! Your phone case and pop-socket are so cute! Could you share where they’re from? Happy Thanksgiving!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 28, 2019 at 7:23 am

Amazon! Just search rose gold granite case!

• Reply Caroline November 28, 2019 at 2:13 pm

❤️❤️ thank you!!

• Reply Chesney November 29, 2019 at 8:33 am

I don’t know how many Christmas cards you send, but I can’t believe you hand address them! I admit the first year you switch to labels will be tedious. But then you can re-use the same file every year just updating anyone that has moved or add new people. I have a set of labels saved in a file for Christmas and one for my kids’ birthday invitations that is a smaller list of people. Just decide what size labels you want to use (I recommend Avery 5160), and Microsoft Word will have a template you can use.

• Reply Stephanie W November 30, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Sorry I’m late to catching up on your posts! I ordered the tanning drops (forever in search of the perfect self tanner), but question… do you buy a darker foundation/cc etc for when you self tan? I feel like I always need to have two foundations… one for my regular skin color and one for my fake tan! 😂

LOVE LOVE your blog

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 1, 2019 at 5:38 am

Awe! Thank you!! I don’t. Maybe I should? I just still use my regular color.

• Reply Jordyn December 1, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Next year, have someone address them for you! It does cost, but in my opinion totally worth every penny. My sister does calligraphy & can do your envelopes that you mail her or can purchase envelopes and mail them to you when she’s done. She’s on Etsy-Southern Scrawled Shop is her name and she does beautiful calligraphy!
    I had so many compliments on my Christmas card envelopes last year-something that never happens!

xoxo, Jordyn

• Reply Tish Ferry December 2, 2019 at 1:09 pm

I ordered the tanning drops and they just came in! So excited to try! Do you use it on your neck too? or just apply to face? Happy first Monday in December to you!!!

• Reply Ridhi H December 2, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Have you looked into Minted? They have super cute Christmas and holiday cards and they address them too!

• Reply Whitney Flin December 6, 2019 at 4:46 pm

My attitude changed about addressing Christmas cards when I started using it as a time to pray for each family as I addressed their cards. It actually became a time of complete gratitude for the people in my life. Merry Christmas to you and your family and thanks for sharing a little pieces of your life.